After Cancer fears

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
OzyTaff

Re: After Cancer fears

Postby OzyTaff » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 am

There were many bike shops selling similar bikes for similar prices, it was Micky at fleet cycles service and attitude that got my hand in my pocket :)

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 am

So how's it been going, Taff? Whats occuring?

How's the / any progress? and how are you enjoying riding?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

sogood wrote:Depending on your specific oncological treatments, certain aspects of your physiology may be more impacted than others (eg. Lung function with certain chemo agents). Irrespective, all will be at a low base and any kind of exercise is good for recovery.
This is very important and correct advice. In the last 2 years my dad has been treated for three different types of cancer and is making a good recovery. He is physically active and walks once or twice every day without fail. His most recent surgeon suggested that his good recovery from very serious surgery was due to his level of fitness from walking and she encouraged him to keep it up. At times during chemo he got too sick to walk but even the day after major surgery he was walking rounds of the hospital ward. He is feeling much better now and back to walking every day. I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to manage cycling. You can go very gentle at the start and make some short journeys at a moderate pace on flatter areas and build up from there. No need to start out sprinting up hills :wink:
<removed by request>