Healthiest bars?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Healthiest bars?

Postby zill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:36 am

Which type and brand are the healthiest (e.g muesli, nut) bars?

V8rider

Re: Healthiest bars?

Postby V8rider » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 am

The ones you make yourself. What you put it them is going to depend on what you mean by healthiest.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 am

V8rider wrote:The ones you make yourself. What you put it them is going to depend on what you mean by healthiest.
Never thought about that. But definitely worth a try. Can you recommend some receipes?

But which ones on the market would you go for?

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

I think you need to describe what you mean by healthiest. What are you using them for? Taking on rides to keep your legs spinning? Snacking on during the day? Substitute for a meal?
I like Cliff bars for taking on rides (crunchy peanut butter and choc almond fudge are my favourites). I dunno if they're healthy though, I just like the flavours and I'm only carrying them when I'm doing 100+kms so they can contain squished kittens for all I care. I also like some of the nut bars (like Carmens) but I only eat these on occasions pre ride, if I'm ducking out for a quick 50km or so and don't want faff about making a proper breakfast, just a good way to get something in my system...again I'm not really eating them for health though.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 am

3T. But hate it when all that carbon gets in your teeth. :-D
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

My personal trainer (in the gym, not cycling, but she knows her stuff) recommended not eating nuts during high intensity exercise (anything more than a social ride, I guess).

IIRC (IANASNJARBOTI - I am not a sports nutritionist just a random bloke on the internet), this is because the macro nutrient balance is wrong - too much fat and protein vs carbs. Both fat and protein require energy to digest which your body is going to turn into carbs anyway because that is what it needs at the time and all this takes away from the energy available for the exercise (I remember something about it potentially making you more bonky than not having it, but may be wrong and I guess it depends on the actual bar, or maybe that was just for raw nuts). It's carbs you want immediately before and while riding. Fat and, in particular, protein are for afterwards.

She recommended I just use gels for very high intensity rides, or dried fruits for less intensive, but still fast-ish. Protein/fat is ok during coffee stops - so nutty bars are good then.

Basically, along the lines of (she didn't send me this link, but it is pretty much the same info she told me while I was lying on the floor near death after a gym session with her):

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%2 ... ntUNM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 pm

V8rider wrote:I think you need to describe what you mean by healthiest. What are you using them for? Taking on rides to keep your legs spinning? Snacking on during the day? Substitute for a meal?
I like Cliff bars for taking on rides (crunchy peanut butter and choc almond fudge are my favourites). I dunno if they're healthy though, I just like the flavours and I'm only carrying them when I'm doing 100+kms so they can contain squished kittens for all I care. I also like some of the nut bars (like Carmens) but I only eat these on occasions pre ride, if I'm ducking out for a quick 50km or so and don't want faff about making a proper breakfast, just a good way to get something in my system...again I'm not really eating them for health though.

More having them as part of meals as well as snacks during the day.

But if going for rides, which would you recommend?

So for both scenarios.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Bananas.

But not thirty a day. Seems to have other, negative effects...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am

zill wrote: More having them as part of meals as well as snacks during the day.
Nuts are very high calories. 1 brazil nut, 1 cashew and 2 almonds (all raw, none of the roasted/salted rubbish) is about the same as an apple. Double that would be about the same as a small/medium size banana. Nuts are really good for you but you can't eat to many of them.
But if going for rides, which would you recommend?
I would not. For the reasons specified in my previous post.

On rides... bananas, dried fruit and gels (before sustained climbs, or when you know you are going to have to generally up the power).

zill

Postby zill » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm currently eating bars as meals. For example, 5 different bars for a meal. Is that alright?

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:17 am

zill wrote:I'm currently eating bars as meals. For example, 5 different bars for a meal. Is that alright?

Why? Everyday? Name them.
What about fruit, or a bowl of oats/porridge or rice, pasta or vegies?

zill

Postby zill » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
zill wrote:I'm currently eating bars as meals. For example, 5 different bars for a meal. Is that alright?

Main reason is because if I don't purposely eat sweat stuff, I will tend to binge on it which is really unhealthy. I find that if I eat lots of sweat bars, the desire to binge in deserts is much decreased. In fact, I haven't binged on deserts since eating lots of bars. The good thing about bars is that they are nasty enough for me not to want to binge on proper desert but not tasty enough for me to want to binge on them. So in the end, no binge eating is stopped.

My favorite bars are Carman bars and Mother Earth's Oaty slices.

Note that I seem to only need to eat a about 4 or 5 a day and my sweat tooth is satisfied for the day!

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Why not just eat vegies? Carmen bars are quite good, but I would look at what your putting in with those bars, a bowl of vegies, steam packet, 2 mins and they are done are quite an easy option. Boil some eggs and eat an egg if your hungry. Eat a carrot. A mushroom. These are all easy options and cost far less.

For rides....2hrs or more, I take Shotz Energy bars or Cliff bars, both are quite good.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:36 am

zill wrote:
Aussiebullet wrote:

Main reason is because if I don't purposely eat sweat stuff, I will tend to binge on it which is really unhealthy. I find that if I eat lots of sweat bars, the desire to binge in deserts is much decreased.
I see.
Why is sweet stuff unhealthy?
I'm an endurance athlete so i'm eating sweet stuff all the time, date's, banana's, peaches, pear's etc, then there's the cakes/slices I make to take with me on the bike which I mix in different surgars to aid in the uptake of glucose and reduduce GI problems.
Of course don't forget the cereals I sometimes eat before or after I ride where I add sugur, then there's time's where I bake an apple pie or cook dumplings in syrup to have after training just for something different.

Guess I'm unheathy because I do binge on sweet stuff several times a day, I look farward to it actually.
Don't forget all the other food I eat too, rice, pasta's (corn, wheat etc) and bucket loads of vegies.
Not sure I'd call packaged bars a better option than what I'm eating though, eating all those preseratives and the cheap & nasty "veg" oils everyday like palm oil that is added is my definition of an unheathy eating habbit.

But to each their own I guess.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Aussiebullet wrote: Why is sweet stuff unhealthy?
I'm an endurance athlete so i'm eating sweet stuff all the time, date's, banana's, peaches, pear's etc, then there's the cakes/slices I make to take with me on the bike which I mix in different surgars to aid in the uptake of glucose and reduduce GI problems.
Of course don't forget the cereals I sometimes eat before or after I ride where I add sugur, then there's time's where I bake an apple pie or cook dumplings in syrup to have after training just for something different.

Guess I'm unheathy because I do binge on sweet stuff several times a day, I look farward to it actually.
Don't forget all the other food I eat too, rice, pasta's (corn, wheat etc) and bucket loads of vegies.
Not sure I'd call packaged bars a better option than what I'm eating though, eating all those preseratives and the cheap & nasty "veg" oils everyday like palm oil that is added is my definition of an unheathy eating habbit.

But to each their own I guess.
How much training do you do?

The main reason why sweet stuff is bad is because how easily they can be eaten so one can pack a lot of those calories in one go. For example, I can easily eat a full day's calories in deserts in one go. In fact, it seems that when I binge on yummy deserts (which is usually after I have had my main meal), I eat 10 000 Kilojules and then stop. Seems to happen every time and my body just says stop after 10 000 kJ after my usual meal (which is usually in the low 3 thousand kilojule mark hence 13 000 kJ in one go)!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Bananas.

But not thirty a day. Seems to have other, negative effects...
:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:19 am

zill wrote: How much training do you do?

A lot, and I'm'very active on or off the bike.

The main reason why sweet stuff is bad is because how easily they can be eaten so one can pack a lot of those calories in one go.

Fat and protien is no different I could eat a jar of peanut butter in one go when I'm starving and trump your 13 000kj then there's big cheesy protien meals, not hard to rack up insane kj counts without going near anything sweet and many have just as much trouble over eating these crapy food choices just like your binges on deserts.

For example, I can easily eat a full day's calories in deserts in one go.

I could and have doubled that kj count many times before I was an endurance junkie and before I knew why it was happening and how I could EASILY avoid it.
For example, just by eating a 400g block of chocolate and washing it down with an Xtra large thickshake, Fat protien and carbs, all must be bad for me?

In fact, it seems that when I binge on yummy deserts (which is usually after I have had my main meal), I eat 10 000 Kilojules and then stop. Seems to happen every time and my body just says stop after 10 000 kJ after my usual meal (which is usually in the low 3 thousand kilojule mark hence 13 000 kJ in one go)!

Don't confuse correlation with causation, if we all did that the world would a shambles, your stomach, small intestine and brain doesn't count calories so that theory is bogus. Try feeding that theory to the Commando or Michelle Bridges as a biggest loser contestant, their reaction would be priceless :wink:

There are simle things you can do to avoid this ever happening again and you'll never need to avoid the foods you love and enjoy them in moderation.
You do realise it takes ~20min or longer for fluids & food to reach the stomach before being released into the small intestine, the less hydrated you are and faster you eat the less you chew and bigger the meal the longer gastric emptying takes which slows down even more the signals to the brain of being satiated.
So at the end of your meal those last mouthfuls you take havn't even reached the stomach, you still don't feel satiated even though you have finished eating. so what do you do? Binge! and now you feel full long before that last lot of food (10 000kj dessert) even reaches the stomach even though you seem to think It was the brain recognising the 13 000kjs you've just consumed.

Drinking plenty of water (800ml - 1L) At LEAST 15min before the start of meals, eating higher GI and faster digestable foods that satisfy your palate first and slowly...SLOWLY don't eat to rapidly or gastric emptying takes longer delaying signals of being satiated even further.
(I eat desserts or sweeter foods first or not at all, I mean why would I want to eat a big starchy or protein heavy meal that takes ages to digest and absorb then go and dump a crap load of sugar/high GI food on top of that, it's just a$$ backwards way of eating yet it is taken as a normal thing to do because thats what grandma did.)

Example for me Friday arvo harrd! 4hr MTB ride where I knew I'd want to pick up the fridge and empty it into my mouth when I got home so I prepared from scratch a huge homemade apple/rhubarb pie for me and my house mate, got in from my training ride drank a litre of skim milk "334cal" had a shower and tucked into my half of the pie "780cal" (~4600kj total if you like)
and I can tell you did not feel like moving or eating for another 3hrs, had I just got in and ate a small meal and a glass of water I'd be binging within an hour.

Questions for you; do you get these cravings around the same time/meal each day? because consuming these sweet bars to stop the cravings is just a sign your glucose depleted by the time you start binging and seeing the brain and every cell in the body thrives on carbs/glucose your much more stable for the rest of the day when you do this, just like everybody else who doesn't binge.
Why do you even have foods with such a high kj count that you class as unhealthy in your possession? when you know your capable of demolishing them in a binging session? It's a bit like buying a case of scotch when you know you have a drinking problem and tell yourself you'll just have little bit! Not gunna happen until you sort out your issues.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Aussiebullet wrote: There are simle things you can do to avoid this ever happening again and you'll never need to avoid the foods you love and enjoy them in moderation.
You do realise it takes ~20min or longer for fluids & food to reach the stomach before being released into the small intestine, the less hydrated you are and faster you eat the less you chew and bigger the meal the longer gastric emptying takes which slows down even more the signals to the brain of being satiated.
So at the end of your meal those last mouthfuls you take havn't even reached the stomach, you still don't feel satiated even though you have finished eating. so what do you do? Binge! and now you feel full long before that last lot of food (10 000kj dessert) even reaches the stomach even though you seem to think It was the brain recognising the 13 000kjs you've just consumed.

Drinking plenty of water (800ml - 1L) At LEAST 15min before the start of meals, eating higher GI and faster digestable foods that satisfy your palate first and slowly...SLOWLY don't eat to rapidly or gastric emptying takes longer delaying signals of being satiated even further.
(I eat desserts or sweeter foods first or not at all, I mean why would I want to eat a big starchy or protein heavy meal that takes ages to digest and absorb then go and dump a crap load of sugar/high GI food on top of that, it's just a$$ backwards way of eating yet it is taken as a normal thing to do because thats what grandma did.)

Example for me Friday arvo harrd! 4hr MTB ride where I knew I'd want to pick up the fridge and empty it into my mouth when I got home so I prepared from scratch a huge homemade apple/rhubarb pie for me and my house mate, got in from my training ride drank a litre of skim milk "334cal" had a shower and tucked into my half of the pie "780cal" (~4600kj total if you like)
and I can tell you did not feel like moving or eating for another 3hrs, had I just got in and ate a small meal and a glass of water I'd be binging within an hour.

Questions for you; do you get these cravings around the same time/meal each day? because consuming these sweet bars to stop the cravings is just a sign your glucose depleted by the time you start binging and seeing the brain and every cell in the body thrives on carbs/glucose your much more stable for the rest of the day when you do this, just like everybody else who doesn't binge.
Why do you even have foods with such a high kj count that you class as unhealthy in your possession? when you know your capable of demolishing them in a binging session? It's a bit like buying a case of scotch when you know you have a drinking problem and tell yourself you'll just have little bit! Not gunna happen until you sort out your issues.
I didn't know that it takes 20 min to digest. Will keep that in mind next time.

Funny, after a huge exercise, while I do feel hungry, almost never binge eat or eat large amounts of nasty but unhealthy food. Maybe it's the fact that I am in a healthy state of mind and so what I eat afterwards is usually relatively small in portion and very healthy. Or it could be that I am aware of how much work I had done to get to that state and don't want to ruin it by cheaply eating a lot of crap at once.

My cravings usually occur after breakfast. I never buy unhealthy stuff from the supermarket. The trouble is I live within 5 minutes of many great cafes and as they open in the morning, you can see why my desire is high then. I also get cravings after dinner but due to the fact that I know I won't be exercising at night after dinner, usually can restrict myself binge eating desserts from restaurants after dinner.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

zill wrote:

It takes ~20min to reach the point where it starts digestion. Digestion can take hours depending on but not limited to the things I mentioned above.

Funny, after a huge exercise, while I do feel hungry, almost never binge eat or eat large amounts of nasty but unhealthy food. Maybe it's the fact that I am in a healthy state of mind and so what I eat afterwards is usually relatively small in portion and very healthy. Or it could be that I am aware of how much work I had done to get to that state and don't want to ruin it by cheaply eating a lot of crap at once.

I'm the exact oppisite, This is the most important time to flood the body with macronutrients and for at least 4hrs there after, my body is a deep state of stress and in need of replenishment, rest, recovery and repair. Skimping on meals post workout will just slow recovery even further, and further more if I'm going to eat say ~4000cal on a training day reguardless then it makes no sense to wait till lunch or dinner to have a calorie dense meal.

My cravings usually occur after breakfast. I never buy unhealthy stuff from the supermarket. The trouble is I live within 5 minutes of many great cafes and as they open in the morning, you can see why my desire is high then. I also get cravings after dinner but due to the fact that I know I won't be exercising at night after dinner, usually can restrict myself binge eating desserts from restaurants after dinner.

Cravings/binges that early in the morning send up a red flag to me, mostly from not hydrating first thing when I wake (at least 1Lr water) and ensuring not to to skimp on breakfast, aside from post training its the biggest most important and most calorie dense meal of the day and the bigger the meal the bigger the volume of water it requires as we're trying to rehydrate from our 8 -12hrs of not drinking overnight plus hydrate for our day ahead.
Easily 1.5lts water in the first 1 -2hrs upon waking, many people confuse signals/cravings of dehydration with those of hunger and will reach for soft drinks iced coffee's etc, this is so easy to avoid, HYDRATE well upon waking and stay on top of hydration ALL day EVERYDAY :wink:
You should be wakling past the cafe's in the morning thinking Blahh I'm so full/satiated I couldn't possibly consider any more fluid or food, if I did I'd know I screwed up at breakfast AGAIN :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
zill wrote:

It takes ~20min to reach the point where it starts digestion. Digestion can take hours depending on but not limited to the things I mentioned above.

I'm the exact oppisite, This is the most important time to flood the body with macronutrients and for at least 4hrs there after, my body is a deep state of stress and in need of replenishment, rest, recovery and repair. Skimping on meals post workout will just slow recovery even further, and further more if I'm going to eat say ~4000cal on a training day reguardless then it makes no sense to wait till lunch or dinner to have a calorie dense meal.

Cravings/binges that early in the morning send up a red flag to me, mostly from not hydrating first thing when I wake (at least 1Lr water) and ensuring not to to skimp on breakfast, aside from post training its the biggest most important and most calorie dense meal of the day and the bigger the meal the bigger the volume of water it requires as we're trying to rehydrate from our 8 -12hrs of not drinking overnight plus hydrate for our day ahead.
Easily 1.5lts water in the first 1 -2hrs upon waking, many people confuse signals/cravings of dehydration with those of hunger and will reach for soft drinks iced coffee's etc, this is so easy to avoid, HYDRATE well upon waking and stay on top of hydration ALL day EVERYDAY :wink:
You should be wakling past the cafe's in the morning thinking Blahh I'm so full/satiated I couldn't possibly consider any more fluid or food, if I did I'd know I screwed up at breakfast AGAIN :lol:

Ok, so drinking lots of water is important in the morning. Have heard that one before but haven't been practicing it.

Given my traits, I'm thinking of incorporating a spin workout before breakfast in order to encourage the drinking of more water and to hopefully stop binge eating as I tend to watch much more carefully what I eat after a workout. Also this these extra kilometers to the legs should be a positive thing as well. The only thing I am worried about is being a bit light headed in the morning and not have fully woken up yet (clearly I'm not a morning person!).

zill

Postby zill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
zill wrote:

Ok, so drinking lots of water is important in the morning. Have heard that one before but haven't been practicing it.

Given my traits, I'm thinking of incorporating a spin workout before breakfast in order to encourage the drinking of more water and to hopefully stop binge eating as I tend to watch much more carefully what I eat after a workout. Also this these extra kilometers to the legs should be a positive thing as well. The only thing I am worried about is being a bit light headed in the morning and not have fully woken up yet (clearly I'm not a morning person!).

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:13 am

Have you tried Quest bars? ~160-190 kcal, ~20-25g carbs, ~20-21g protein ~5-10g fat and ~17g fiber.

Since I cannot commute anymore, I have been quite strict about diet and my PT wants me to try and eat ~50% protein - not easy for a vegetarian. So, I have been having one for breakfast. Along with a protein shake when I get to work and an apple during the morning it keeps me going until lunch time. Has most of your daily fibre needs too.

I know from previous experience they are not too good for stopping bonks mid ride.

You can get them from loads of places now ~$3.50-$4 each. If you bulk buy from the US (http://iherb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) you can get them for about $2.70 each.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:36 am

I don't see why a cyclist would need 50% protein. That is crazy.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:34 am

Bluejay87 wrote:I don't see why a cyclist would need 50% protein. That is crazy.
"If you’re in a period of weight loss, some recent research suggests that increasing the amount of protein in your diet (up to 2-2.5 grams per kg) may help prevent loss of muscle mass as your weight goes down."

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2g/kg works out ~50% of the calories I need from protein to achieve desired weight loss.

I am just trying to keep fit, lean and strong rather than be just a cyclist (I don't think I would make A grade even if I made it my job to), and my PT is a body builder so there is certainly some build muscle/burn fat/body composition thing in her recommendations.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:38 am

Fair enough if your goal is to gain or maintain muscle mass. Not an expert at all but I've heard that much protein puts a lot of strain on your kidneys so be careful. I also wouldn't recommend protein bars as an energy source for big rides. Just go for something with more carbs.