Riding to work reduces depression by up to 60%

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Dave-in-LK

Re: Riding to work reduces depression by up to 60%

Postby Dave-in-LK » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:43 am

Yep

It has so many benefits

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:37 pm

I have been forced by injury to stop cycling for a while. I don't know what going cold turkey off a drug feels like, but I am really struggling with no riding. I think the dopamine effect is a large part of that, but I am sure the thought of losing fitness is also a major part. Have tried cross training for that (swimming... boring!!), and it helps a bit, but still cannot wait to get back!

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:02 pm

vosadrian wrote:I have been forced by injury to stop cycling for a while. I don't know what going cold turkey off a drug feels like, but I am really struggling with no riding. I think the dopamine effect is a large part of that, but I am sure the thought of losing fitness is also a major part. Have tried cross training for that (swimming... boring!!), and it helps a bit, but still cannot wait to get back!

Why can't you ride anymore ...just curious

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:16 am

vosadrian wrote:swimming... boring!!
I was fortunate to have a very clever (japanese) swimming trainer. He had a blackboard at one end of the pool, and wrote instructions about half a lap ahead of the squad.

Never the same thing twice. He had a wide range of different activities (not just the four strokes) including using a single arm or "rolling" along So, like dophins, we never got bored. But every muscle ached by the end of the hour session

I definitely get irritable if I reduce excercise levels (the better half has stated:"go for a run and keep running until..." on occasions")

If you've a back issue, "Colin Old and Cranky" now rides a unicycle.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 pm

I have never found swimming exciting

Boogie boarding yes .....kayaking yes

Swimming in a pool staring at a black line ain't fun for me

Exercise has to be fun

harmonix1234

Riding to work reduces depression by up to 60%

Postby harmonix1234 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:15 pm

I actually can vouch that cycling helps my depression hugely.
However, since becoming a cyclist my OCD has gone through the roof.
I'll spend an hour getting my bars and front wheel perfectly aligned, the logos on my tyres have to line up with my valve stems. Cable crimps must be clamped with matching pattern on every crimp.
No jokes, it's getting out of control.
But damn, my bike looks good and rides well.

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:49 am

harmonix1234 wrote:I actually can vouch that cycling helps my depression hugely.
I'll spend an hour getting my bars and front wheel perfectly aligned, the logos on my tyres have to line up with my valve stems. Cable crimps must be clamped with matching pattern on every crimp.
OCD is different to perfectionism

Not going to say which one it is

But hey if it's not bothering you then I wouldn't worry about it, if it concerns you then get help.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:13 am

harmonix1234 wrote:I actually can vouch that cycling helps my depression hugely.
Hehe - perhaps you should spend more time riding it and less time looking at it. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I have been forced by injury to stop cycling for a while. I don't know what going cold turkey off a drug feels like, but I am really struggling with no riding. I think the dopamine effect is a large part of that, but I am sure the thought of losing fitness is also a major part. Have tried cross training for that (swimming... boring!!), and it helps a bit, but still cannot wait to get back!

Why can't you ride anymore ...just curious
I did a really long ride in July (1000kms in 6 days) and have done some damage to my achilles tendon (either over use or shoe fit?). It is taking forever to heal (almost 6 months now). Lots of health professionals have had a go at it (GP, Multiple Physios and Podiatris). It is better now than it was, but not much. I have ridden on and off over that 6 months, but nowhere near my normal level, and have not been on a bike in the last 6 weeks. Swimming 3 sessions of 2kms a week at the moment (using a pull buoy and not kicking to rest the achilles).

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am

Downhill wrote:Cycling does more than just release dopamine during exercise. Getting out for the occasional dose of sunshine helps combat Seasonal Affective Disorder. Joining a club or participating in group rides certainly increases social interaction, and helping those less fortunate by participating in charity rides can really put a smile on your dial.
Sorry to hear mate

Do all the right rehab and hopefully you'll get back

Consider acupuncture, the other thread will have it's skeptics but it's an option

Anything and very thing should be on the table

Good luck

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for the well wishes mate. Everything is on the table! Currently trying Shockwave along with controlled loading exercises. Acupuncture is something I have considered, but has not been recommended by other professionals I have consulted with, so may have to chase that up myself. Sometimes you get a few good days where you think it is starting to get better, and then you have a bad day where it must get strained and I can't even recall doing anything that must have aggravated it. It does not seem to take much to aggravate it.

I am feeling preetty gutted about it all, but I doubt this is representative of the reduction in depression this thread talks about. Mine is bought about not being able to do it rather than using riding to alleviate other sources of stress.