Heart rateor monitor issue or normal variation?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
kenwstr

Heart rateor monitor issue or normal variation?

Postby kenwstr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 am

I finally got a new heart rate monitor after years since the last one failed. This time it’s a Garmin Ant+ to team up with a Garmin Edge 500.
Anyway, I got some readings that people here are questioning but 1st some stats.

I’m 57 yo 168 cm 62-63 kg 50 bpm rest rate +- 2 or 3

I have been trying to establish my real MaxHR 220-57 = 163 just doesn't seem right and never. 1st few rides I gradually brought my HR up in climbs and felt I might be getting close to Max at 179. Yesterday did a ride with a workmate and noticed it reading 180 when we on the flat and chatting so I was comfortably in aerobic. When I uploaded the ride I found my Max HR was 214. I had spurious readings just before the last monitor failed so suspect some technical issue. On checking my mates data, we found both recorded unusually high readings at the same time and place which began while descending to turn onto another road and then a bit after that, then it settled into something more normal so we thought there must be some interference there.

However I rode past there today without experiencing this. Today's ride was a windy 37.28 km out and back. After the turnaround I coasted back to the flat, then maintained 160-175 HR for 17 min along the flat at 35-40 kmph. So this is obviously an aerobic HR for me on the flat but climbing I wouldn't be able to maintain that HR. At least I don’t think so but it’s my leg strength that fails first. Max HR today was 179 because I was intentionally not pushing over that. One of the fellows at work is saying there’s something wrong, go see a doctor. I’m thinking, doesn't feel like there is any problem so if there is, it’s most likely with the device which I haven't had very long at all.

What's it all means if anything?

Ken

biker jk

Re: Heart rateor monitor issue or normal variation?

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 am

The Garmin HRM is prone to spikes. Do a search of the threads where this issue has been covered to death.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am

What he said - particularly a problem with high winds and static from clothing. Avoid loose jerseys, wet the contact pads well (try some conductive gel from a chemist). Turn on the HR graph on the 500 and watch how your HR behaves in time. If it's flatlining (same HR) even when you turn up or back off the effort, it's a bad reading. If it's madly high, try pulling over to a stop and watch if the graph plummets (back to a true reading).

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

I've given up on HR monitors, I got sick of seeing inaccurate data and it didn't matter what I did I couldn't get any consistency. Now I just train based on perceived exertion.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Ta,

The 214 reading is not what I'd call a spike, more a bulge over 10 min and another again over 5 min later in the ride. Interestingly the 1st bulge starts with a then acceleration of a decent and reduces over time on a flat at constant speed. So it all seems consistent with static charge and dissipation. The thing that gets me is I never had a static issue with my old torpedo7 HRM. It was a annoyingly limited in range but worked OK until the sweat got past the seal. Anyway I have read that anti static spray may help or wearing it on my back among other things. So I'll see if something works for me. Yea I guess that jersey is a bit loose now....

Ken