Sudden loss of power?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
thecaptn

Sudden loss of power?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi All,

on my morning ride today I was feeling good and having a nice time but at the 45km mark I suddenly felt exhausted like all the blood had drained out of me and sort of got the shakes, after about another 5km I started to feel more normal and made it home ok. I don't think I bonked because it was an easy ride and that feels different to me.

Yesterday I had a couple of imunisations required for a new job, hep A and B, tetanus and hooping cough. Could this be the reason for this strange episode?

I appreciate your thoughts,
Pete

iaintas

Re: Sudden loss of power?

Postby iaintas » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:16 pm

This happens when i am overtrained or generally tired.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:20 pm

thecaptn wrote:Yesterday I had a couple of imunisations required for a new job, hep A and B, tetanus and hooping cough. Could this be the reason for this strange episode?
Were these new for you (vaccine naive)? If these were boosters (Hepatitis especially), it's possible you did get an acute phase reaction. If they were new it's too quick and a different immune pathway is invoked which os much slower.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:40 pm

This happens as we get older as well.With some its a need for a small rest and some glucose. I like a banana in the bag for a longer trip, and a drink.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:18 pm

ValleyForge wrote: Were these new for you (vaccine naive)? If these were boosters (Hepatitis especially), it's possible you did get an acute phase reaction. If they were new it's too quick and a different immune pathway is invoked which os much slower.
Yes new vaccines, the nurse asked me to hang around for 15 minutes in case of a negative reaction but I was fine.

Now that I've had a couple of days to think about it and read the comments on here I think it's a case of all of the above. Getting older, a bit tired, didn't eat enough....

I'll make sure I eat enough when I ride and try to ride a bit earlier in the morning to avoid the heat.

Thanks for the replies,
Pete