HR down after efforts day before

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nickobec

HR down after efforts day before

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 am

Currently if I do a couple of "hard"(read moderate to hard efforts) days,

for example,
a) 2 hour group ride with a couple of Vo2max sessions and a sprint, next day a crit or
b) crit, day off, 30 minute TT

The next day or 36 hours later I find impossible to get my heart rate up, it is 10 beat below what it should be doing that effort. My power is down and struggle to keep going

for example after b) 30 hours later tried 16km TT, my heart beat down 10 on way out, 15 on way back, power down 10%, need to take breather (drop power 25%) every few minutes for a minute or so to recover.

This time last year was managing the same efforts ie crit, rest, TT, TT and set a PB on 2nd TT.

Only changes off beta blockers, so no real historical records of HR and I appear to be suffering from hayfever/asthma/sinus issues

ideas?

Bluejay87

Re: HR down after efforts day before

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:58 am

I just bought a HR monitor and tested it out riding home last night. Could only get a max of 164 following 4km of hard work on flats. I thought I'd be able to get my heart rate much higher as I'm 27 and the gym treadmills used to say my hr got in 180s. That said I'm a bit fatigued currently and so perhaps I'm suffering from a similar inability to get HR up after hard efforts? Will obviously have to do further testing to tell.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Would probably suggest fatigue- my max HR drops over time and then I know I need a rest period (more than 1-2 days) to recover.

Need to schedule a rest period in shortly - max HR is typically 185- I blew myself to pieces (i.e. wanting to vomit) this morning into the headwind with a max of 175.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 pm

I am thinking fatigue too, but the issue is I was doing the same events + extra training last year, 300k+ weeks with couple of extra threshold sessions a week, even a 4th race. This year it has been less than 200km weeks, plenty of rest days, even had a week off recently, so I should be fresher.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:18 am

nickobec wrote:I am thinking fatigue too, but the issue is I was doing the same events + extra training last year, 300k+ weeks with couple of extra threshold sessions a week, even a 4th race. This year it has been less than 200km weeks, plenty of rest days, even had a week off recently, so I should be fresher.
Other things might be fatiguing you- sinus/hayfever could be a low level bacterial or viral thingy, although when I have colds/sinus infections I find my HR revs too high compared to the same effort when not sick.