Diet:Meat or vege? - Swings and roundabouts?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
CKinnard

Re: Diet:Meat or vege? - Swings and roundabouts?

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
CKinnard wrote:yes the standard retort to the nutritionally illiterate question "where do you get your protein?"
should be

"where do you get your fiber, folate, flavonoids, isoflavones, carotenoids, and retinols from?"
Fair enough, considering most Australians eat more protein than they actually need (1) it seems like protein should be the least of our worries.

But your retort question worries me because I don't think I am eating nearly enough variety of fruits and vegetables.
Yep, I try to do at least 4 cups of salad/vege for lunch and same for dins. It makes a diff upping it, especially for old sporting injuries and arthritis. Much less stiffness in the morning, much more flexibility on the bike.
I usually make a 2 or 3 litre container of salad in one go = 8-12 cups, no dressings, which can last 36 hours, 48 at a stretch (before going too limp).
It helps to know it's there when i'm coming home from work or riding.

For color, typical salad meal has most of
diced tomato, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, raddish, zucchini grated into spaghetti strips, grated beetroot, ginger cut into small sticks, red capsicum, red cabbage, greens (basil, baby spinach, rocket, coral lettuce), broccoli, snow peas, sprouts, and 1 or 2 fruits to balance the balsamic vinegar, salt, and lemon/lime juice (peach, plum, orange, or rockmelon).
I serve with legumes and mashed potato (part white, part sweet yellow or red).

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm

CKinnard wrote:For color, typical salad meal has most of
diced tomato, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, raddish, zucchini grated into spaghetti strips, grated beetroot, ginger cut into small sticks, red capsicum, red cabbage, greens (basil, baby spinach, rocket, coral lettuce), broccoli, snow peas, sprouts, and 1 or 2 fruits to balance the balsamic vinegar, salt, and lemon/lime juice (peach, plum, orange, or rockmelon).
I serve with legumes and mashed potato (part white, part sweet yellow or red).
Yum! That sounds great. I should have added sweet potato to my list of regular veg. I'm a big fan. Do you buy sprouts or DIY? I can easily add sprouts to salad and would probably DIY. Any recommendations?
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:49 pm

CC, re sprouts, I seem to go through cycles. I'll hit sprouts for a few months, then not touch them for same.
I prefer to sprout myself, but due to time priorities, I tend to buy. I was sprouting back in the 70s regularly when I was ovo lacto vego, primarily because they were marketed as 'live' super foods! though I felt there was something in that!

To give you an idea of what I ate today....
Breakfast 1/2 cup of oats with soy milk and 4 dates.
Snack banana
Lunch 1 liter of above salad with 1/2 can 4 bean mix, 2 cups potato mash.
Snack banana and nuts
Dinner same as lunch.

One recommendation I can make re salad is that if you are not used to eating this much, adding a commercal relish for a few months can get you over the line. Then as you adapt your taste buds, use a home made healthier mix based on Vietnamese or French or whatever.
Blended water and cashews makes a great replacement for yogurt, which can be mixed with citrus and palm sugar for a great salad dressing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 pm

CKinnard wrote:CC, re sprouts, I seem to go through cycles. I'll hit sprouts for a few months, then not touch them for same.
I prefer to sprout myself, but due to time priorities, I tend to buy. I was sprouting back in the 70s regularly when I was ovo lacto vego, primarily because they were marketed as 'live' super foods! though I felt there was something in that!.
I don't believe in super foods but I do believe in food variety. I just haven't got there yet. :oops:
CKinnard wrote:To give you an idea of what I ate today....
Breakfast 1/2 cup of oats with soy milk and 4 dates.
Snack banana
Lunch 1 liter of above salad with 1/2 can 4 bean mix, 2 cups potato mash.
Snack banana and nuts
Dinner same as lunch.

Thanks. That's good to know.
CKinnard wrote:One recommendation I can make re salad is that if you are not used to eating this much, adding a commercal relish for a few months can get you over the line. Then as you adapt your taste buds, use a home made healthier mix based on Vietnamese or French or whatever.
I would not have any problems eating that volume. I used to eat a big lunchbox of salad every day until my partner stopped making them... :(
CKinnard wrote:Blended water and cashews makes a great replacement for yogurt, which can be mixed with citrus and palm sugar for a great salad dressing.
I usually use olive oil and balsamic for a dressing because I'm not anti-oil. I haven't tried a nut based salad dressing though. It sounds tasty.
<removed by request>

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am

Good discussion - has given me a little extra impetus to improve the variety and quantity of veggies in my diet. Despite best intentions I've become something of a bread-and-pasta veggo of late...

Made up a box of salad from what I had in the fridge last night, along with a pumpkin and chickpea red curry and some black bean filling for tortillas etc. - should just about see me through the next week with a couple of salad refreshes. Lettuce mix, carrot, snow peas, red and spring onions, with some tomatoes and mango thrown in. Not against dressings at all, but with the mango sweetness it just needed a whisker of salt and pepper and a splash of white wine vinegar... I'm having a 1l container for lunch today.

I'm also a fan of the EVOO/balsamic dressing, but lemon juice and tahini is another good one - especially with a felafel salad and a bit of hummus... Mmm, food.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm

m@ wrote:Good discussion - has given me a little extra impetus to improve the variety and quantity of veggies in my diet. Despite best intentions I've become something of a bread-and-pasta veggo of late...

Made up a box of salad from what I had in the fridge last night, along with a pumpkin and chickpea red curry and some black bean filling for tortillas etc. - should just about see me through the next week with a couple of salad refreshes. Lettuce mix, carrot, snow peas, red and spring onions, with some tomatoes and mango thrown in. Not against dressings at all, but with the mango sweetness it just needed a whisker of salt and pepper and a splash of white wine vinegar... I'm having a 1l container for lunch today.

I'm also a fan of the EVOO/balsamic dressing, but lemon juice and tahini is another good one - especially with a felafel salad and a bit of hummus... Mmm, food.
Yummo! That just made me feel very, very hungry! :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 pm

yep M@, mango and onion go really well together. my auntie used to do a salad of that but I think the onion was cured or half cooked.
I went through a stage exploring Vietnamese salads too, because their understanding of sweet/sour/salt/bitter balance in dressings is brilliant, and very apt and refreshing for hot summers.
And you reminded me to revisit Middle Eastern flavors - moroccan and turkish using spices and citrus.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:17 pm

What's EVOO/balsamic dressing like health wise?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:42 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What's EVOO/balsamic dressing like health wise?
It depends who you ask. If you ask Dr McDougall, he will tell you "The fat you eat is the fat you wear", olive oil will give you atherosclerosis and increase your triglycerides (link). Many other people don't accept that. Rather they believe that EVOO is healthy. For example, studies have shown EVOO is anti-inflammatory and has anti-oxidant properties (1). Another study found that EVOO improved learning and memory in mice (2). Another study demonstrated that compounds from EVOO are antiatherogenic (3). And another found EVOO is atheroprotective (4).

(1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24219356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21955812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15797683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23510814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Balsamic vinegar
Acetate, a basic component of vinegar is thought to be important because it helps dampen the immune system and is a natural anti-inflammatory (5). One study found that balsamic vinegar showed increased insulin sensitivity in rats (6). An interesting aspect of the acetate in vinegar is that it activates GPR41 and GPR43 receptors which are involved in energy homeostasis (7). A review summarised the importance of GPR43 on energy regulation (8):
During feeding, SCFAs are produced by microbial fermentation of dietary fiber in the gut, and these SCFAs become important energy sources for the host. The gut microbiota affects nutrient acquisition and energy regulation of the host and can influence the development of obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes. Recently, GPR43 has been reported to regulate host energy homeostasis in the gastrointestinal tract and adipose tissues.
(5) http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4067184.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(6) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22950058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(7) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25274213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(8) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24926285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe that EVOO and balsamic vinegar are very important for human health.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

So thumbs up health wise and it makes salad tasty, a win win
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?