Warming Up - Spinning vs Stretching

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
flashpixx

Warming Up - Spinning vs Stretching

Postby flashpixx » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:22 pm

How do you warm up? Stretching or Spinning. Seems stretching, or at least static stretching is out of favour.
Well it would seem those old deep lunges and calf stretches have had their day. ‘You don’t see many people doing it nowadays, but static stretching pre-event is definitely out,’ says Easton. ‘If you’re going to stretch do dynamic moves, but even they won’t be sufficient.’
Full Article from Cyclist Australia + NZ Magazine

http://cyclist.com.au/heat-moment

Thoughts?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Tzantushka

Re: Warming Up - Spinning vs Stretching

Postby Tzantushka » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Another vote for a graduated warm-up using spinning.

Based in the literature I have been reading, static stretching is for post-ride recovery.
Studies back in 1985 even highlighted this

If you still want to strentech and need to warm-up for an activity requiring varied movement (e.g. football) then dynamic stretching is your friend!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Dynamic stretching is good but i usually just spin as I've usually forgotten about stretching before I ride!! It does depend though as to why you are warming up. 20 years ago my physio told me there was no evidence to suggest stretching prior to exercise (static in those days) reduced injury at all. I found that interesting at the time as I never enjoyed it to felt it did anything for me.

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:17 am

Yoga for me as a warm up works well ...I'm 44 and 88kg

Opens the hips ready for cycling, then just use the first few Kms as warm up anyways

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump on and spin. Don't have time to stretch at 5am.

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 am

:?: You have time to spin

Never understood spinning .....before a ride ....isn't riding doing the same thing? As starting a ride in slow gentle pace

But I'm sure the more hardcore guys will explain the difference to me. How does the body tell the difference between spinning and riding. The movement is the same isn't it?

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote::?: You have time to spin

Never understood spinning .....before a ride ....isn't riding doing the same thing? As starting a ride in slow gentle pace

But I'm sure the more hardcore guys will explain the difference to me. How does the body tell the difference between spinning and riding. The movement is the same isn't it?
I think they mean spinning on the bike out on the road as a warm up. High cadence low gear. No heavy load on the muscles.
Not spinning on a stationary trainer as in a spin class.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:

I think they mean spinning on the bike out on the road as a warm up. High cadence low gear. No heavy load on the muscles.
That's how I read it too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Correct, jump straight on the bike and spin the legs at a medium pace and gradually put the hammer down.

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:24 am

Lots of steel bikes wrote:

Thanks for that...and while I have cycled most of my life I have never been hardcore or raced so wasn't aware what that term spin meant so thanks for that. I rarely cycle in groups either, I like my riding on my own ....chill out peace time

I do a 3-5 minute quick yoga stretch ...I have a mat set up in the shed and it does help

That said at 23 I could just jump on the bike and go hell for leather. Now at 44 I can't do that.

I like yoga anyways and do some stretches after I ride too.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 am

I can't remember where i saw it but a while ago i read an article on a number of medical studies that showed while stretching was beneficial post exercise, doing it beforehand could reduce power output significantly.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am

I just can't see that being possible when Olympic athletes would stretch, basketballers stretch, AFL and cricketers stretch also.

Just find that odd. Sure if you stretched for an hour but five minutes ...meh

The probably isn't a huge gain in stretching either but to say (the article not you mate) is bit over the top when all other sports include stretching before they play.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:48 am

Dave-in-LK wrote:I just can't see that being possible when Olympic athletes would stretch, basketballers stretch, AFL and cricketers stretch also.
There are still a number of antiquated practices being done by top level sports due in part often by coaches directing athletes to do what they did as years ago as athletes...

Study probably being referred to by ldrcycles will be "Does pre-exercise static stretching inhibit maximal muscular performance? A meta-analytical review" Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2013 Mar;23(2):131-48. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2012.01444.x. Epub 2012 Feb 8

Abstract:

We applied a meta-analytical approach to derive a robust estimate of the acute effects of pre-exercise static stretching (SS) on strength, power, and explosive muscular performance. A computerized search of articles published between 1966 and December 2010 was performed using PubMed, SCOPUS, and Web of Science databases. A total of 104 studies yielding 61 data points for strength, 12 data points for power, and 57 data points for explosive performance met our inclusion criteria. The pooled estimate of the acute effects of SS on strength, power, and explosive performance, expressed in standardized units as well as in percentages, were −0.10 [95% confidence interval (CI): −0.15 to −0.04], −0.04 (95% CI: −0.16 to 0.08), and −0.03 (95% CI: −0.07 to 0.01), or −5.4% (95% CI: −6.6% to −4.2%), −1.9% (95% CI: −4.0% to 0.2%), and −2.0% (95% CI: −2.8% to −1.3%). These effects were not related to subject's age, gender, or fitness level; however, they were more pronounced in isometric vs dynamic tests, and were related to the total duration of stretch, with the smallest negative acute effects being observed with stretch duration of ≤45 s. We conclude that the usage of SS as the sole activity during warm-up routine should generally be avoided.

Full journal article - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 1444.x/pdf

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I do some stretching before and after the ride, more to "wake up" the muscles and remove the kinks... I'm 55, I guess at 25 I may not have bothered. Some Pilates style stretches seem to work :D

Found this also: http://www.ilovebicycling.com/stretchin ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do the seated hip opener and the downward dog, but I"m nowhere near as flexible as the model :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:44 pm

The idea that pre exercise stretching does little or no good is certainly not new.
Personally I find that post exercise helps me recover and there is evidence that being more flexible can reduce injury (as opposed to just "doing stretching").
To warm up the muscles, gradually increasing intensity to actually get the muscles warm is the way to go.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm

I remember reading a study some years ago done on ADF personal in regards to pre-exercise stretching. The basic gist was that those that stretched seemed to be more prone to injury.

As for the bike, I'm a definite advocate of light spinning for at least 10min before any significant effort. I have heard that many pros will do this for an hour before anything strenuous.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:22 pm

I wonder how much the pro's warm ups are for the mind rather than the body?

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm

KGB wrote:The idea that pre exercise stretching does little or no good is certainly not new.
Personally I find that post exercise helps me recover and there is evidence that being more flexible can reduce injury (as opposed to just "doing stretching").
To warm up the muscles, gradually increasing intensity to actually get the muscles warm is the way to go.
Stretching increase the blood flow to muscles also

But not at same rate

I prefer to stretch for 5 minutes max and then slow start or spin as well .....let the Coffee kick in :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:39 am

TheWall wrote:I wonder how much the pro's warm ups are for the mind rather than the body?
No, not at all.

Earlier this week - I did 2x18min intervals. I didn't do all of the warmup before it. The first 18min interval was tough. The second one was much easier - warmed up properly. Both intervals were at the same average power, but the second one, the perceived effort was lower.

The key seems to be easy spinning, gradual increase in power, a couple of sprint efforts and then a couple of minutes riding at steady power output.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 am

Weird thread title. I've never known any serious source to pit stretching against an aerobic warm up.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:47 am

CKinnard wrote:Weird thread title. I've never known any serious source to pit stretching against an aerobic warm up.
Other than the study above which used 104 studies to look into impact of SS as a warm up only activity??? :wink:

T0M11

Postby T0M11 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Rex wrote:Correct, jump straight on the bike and spin the legs at a medium pace and gradually put the hammer down.
Pretty much sums up how I do it. I ride "easy" for around 10 minutes and then gradually work my speed up to ho my legs are feeling for the day. Post-ride I stretch as much as possible and it really helps too.
2012 Merida Ride 88

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:47 am

My issue and now I understand spinning

Is that when I start my ride towards nanarup beach which is where I go as it's out town to the quiet area is that I'm faced with big hill

Maybe I should do small whizz around a few around blocks

Ok spinning

1 what speed is classed as spinning ...
2 now long to spin for
3 warm down spin or not?
4 would a combo of the two be ok ...stretch then spin ...or maybe ten minutes of spin then get off for quick stretch

Thanks

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Dave-in-LK wrote:My issue and now I understand spinning

Is that when I start my ride towards nanarup beach which is where I go as it's out town to the quiet area is that I'm faced with big hill

Ok spinning

2 now long to spin for
3 warm down spin or not?
4 would a combo of the two be ok ...stretch then spin ...or maybe ten minutes of spin then get off for quick stretch

Thanks
1. Spinning for me is anything over 100rpm. Just pick too low a gear for your speed and turn the pedals. Concentrate on being smooth and not bouncing in the saddle or wandering all over the road. A fixed gear bike geared around 65" is good for smoothing out your spin

2. I think 10 minutes is a good start but up to 40min is good for really long rides with lots of climbing.

3. I usually spin for the last 5 minutes.

4. No stretching for me unless I feel noticeably tight or sore. Just remember your paleolithic ancestors never stretched after running down the mammoth :lol: .
I use to stretch at night, a few times a week, but I found that it only aggrevated my sciatic nerve and it did little to improve my flexibility.

Dave-in-LK

Postby Dave-in-LK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:31 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Dave-in-LK wrote:My issue and now I understand spinning

Ok spinning

2 now long to spin for
3 warm down spin or not?

Thanks
1. Spinning for me is anything over 100rpm. Just pick too low a gear for your speed and turn the pedals. Concentrate on being smooth and not bouncing in the saddle or wandering all over the road. A fixed gear bike geared around 65" is good for smoothing out your spin

2. I think 10 minutes is a good start but up to 40min is good for really long rides with lots of climbing.

3. I usually spin for the last 5 minutes.

4. No stretching for me unless I feel noticeably tight or sore. Just remember your paleolithic ancestors never stretched after running down the mammoth :lol: .
I use to stretch at night, a few times a week, but I found that it only aggrevated my sciatic nerve and it did little to improve my flexibility.
Cheers ......thanks

That's actually really really helpful.