Recovery from a separated kneecap

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
slian

Recovery from a separated kneecap

Postby slian » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:12 am

One month out from a run-in with an SUV that resulted in an open fracture and a separated patella that required surgery and wire to reattach, I'm finally out of the splint and looking for a physio to kick start the rehab process.

Wondering if anyone else has recovered from similar injury and has a physio to recommend in the Melb Cbd/inner west (Flemington) area.

In particular some with background in cycling and able to provide guidance in term of maximising recovery time to back on bike, bike specific exercises, possible issue eg, core, knee movement range, bike fit etc.

ValleyForge

Re: Recovery from a separated kneecap

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Am I right in guessing it was a compound patella fracture with TBW (tension-band wiring)?

Man, that's a slow fracture to recover from. I hope I'm not the first to break it to you, but your quads will disappear. Completely. As will your knee flexion range. I'd start swimming to maintain any cardio fitness.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I had to google that. I had a patella dislocation (well, three). It is now stitched permanently to the inside musculature of my left knee. Even that was 4-5 months without any real work. Then another 6 of physio. Then another year before I ran at full speed. I never had great quads before, and had even less afterwards. Cycling did get them working, and they now actually look like muscles.

Good luck with the recovery. I think you're in for a long haul there.

Jim

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:55 pm

familyguy wrote:I had to google that. I had a patella dislocation (well, three). It is now stitched permanently to the inside musculature of my left knee. Even that was 4-5 months without any real work. Then another 6 of physio. Then another year before I ran at full speed. I never had great quads before, and had even less afterwards. Cycling did get them working, and they now actually look like muscles.

Good luck with the recovery. I think you're in for a long haul there.

Jim
Did you have the patellofemoral reconstruction where they drill a hole through the patellar and thread a hamstring tendon graft through the patellar and around one of the hamstring tendons?

If so join the club- I was one of the first in Aus, done by Dr David Wood (NSOSMC) circa 2000

And yes of the many surgeries I have had it was one of the more painful longer tern rehabilitation's not assisted by a thumb nail size piece of missing cartilage behind the patellar from a dislocation

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Patellofemoral reconstruction, yes, but that's not how they did mine. Dr. Leo Pinc. did mine at North Sydney in 1996. I have permanent stitches, which form a bulge if I bend my knee, a neat conversational point.

Jim

slian

Postby slian » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the well wishes all, tho some of the shared stories have been sobering. Kudos to everyone for the recovery process and getting back on the bike, that gives me some hope.

Right on the first count @ValleyForge. It was an open fracture of the patella and a TBW was used which might require surgical removal down the line.

vindlecrag

Postby vindlecrag » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 am

I can't recall her name but Jono Lovelock had some horrific injuries and blogged his recovery. Google his blog and you should find his physio's name.