Muelsi slice recipe

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
m@

Muelsi slice recipe

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:06 pm

I got a bit addicted to the muesli slice/bars Vines & Designs provided as part of the Hellfire Cup catering; they were nice enough to post up the recipe, so thought I'd also share it here.

I've made up one batch so far, which I've been using as ride fuel - very convenient pre-ride meal and easy to stow in the pocket packaged up in gladwrap. Better than any bought bars I've used taste-wise, and seem to give a good mix of a quick sugar hit with longer lasting energy.

I made a couple of changes - replaced the all-bran with extra weetbix and oats, and extra almonds, pepitas, sunflower and sesame seeds in place of pecans, cashews and linseed. I also added some toasted, shaved coconut and malt syrup, just because I had them in the cupboard.

They tend to soften up a bit at jersey-pocket temperature, so I don't think they'll be any good for warm conditions; I might try adding more oats and all bran and less butter in the next batch and lightly bake to see if they hold up better.

I've also found them much easier to cut once completely cold - but you do need a decent knife.
DRY MIX
  • 4 weetbix
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup all bran
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we used cashews, almonds and pecans)
  • 1/2 cup mixed pepitas and sunflower seeds (we did a 2:3 ratio)
  • 1/2 cup mixed sesame seeds and linseeds (we did a 3:2 ratio)
  • 1 cup chopped dates
WET MIX
  • 250gm unsalted butter
  • 1 cup good quality crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup good quality rich brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup wonderful Tassie honey
Method
Combine dry mix in a bowl

In a saucepan combine the wet mix and stir over a low heat until butter melted and mixture is slightly thickened.

Stir wet mix ad dry mix together and pack firmly into lined trays. Slice while still warm and refrigerate overnight.

No bake - it's done!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

foo on patrol

Re: Muelsi slice recipe

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for posting that up M@, I may need to give this a go. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

m@

Re: Muelsi slice recipe

Postby m@ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Just made my third batch; this one has extra dates - soaked and mashed - and pecans/walnuts/brazils for a sticky date pudding kinda vibe. With this and the previous batch I also reduced the butter to ~60g and added some melted lollies (natural confectionary co. banana snakes in the last batch, Allens chickos in this one) to make a more jersey-pocket-friendly bar. The previous lot was the mainstay of my nutrition on my last Everesting - so they seem to work ok :mrgreen:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe