hamstring

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
LG

hamstring

Postby LG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:55 am

On Friday I completed my first 150+km ride with loaded panniers at the end of a week long tour (about 450km for the week). This was quite a step up in weekly effort for me. Yesterday afternoon (Saturday) my right lower hamstring became quite painfull and last night I had a lot of trouble getting comfortable, a little better this morning. Just wondering if the effort last week might have strengthened some of my leg muscles and led to an imbalance which could be leading to hamstring pain? I assume now I need to wait for the pain to subside prior to stretching and strengthening exercises. I am slightly on the wrong side 40yo.
LG = Low Gear

TraceyG

Re: hamstring

Postby TraceyG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Still in your 30s, huh? (Well, that's the wrong side of side of 40 from my perspective!) Why not see a physio and get a bit of help?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Massage one of the over the counter anti inflammatory creams into the legs twice a day for a couple of days, and wear compression tights overnight for a couple of nights if you have them available. That should solve the current pain problem.

If further rides are planned in the next five days exceeding 80 km rub some warming liniment into the legs before starting off, and if possible if you take a break during the ride that exceeds 30 minutes rub some more liniment into the legs after the rest stop.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Ok, I'm on the correct side of 40 :D Sweet!

Weirdly, on Saturday afternoon and evening I could barely bend my leg for pain and had a lot of trouble sleeping. Sunday morning still with a fair degree of discomfort, but by Sunday afternoon it starts to feel ok. Monday morning it's as if it was never injured at all :? . I assume it was just some kind of temporary fatigue feedback (if there is such a thing), but will make an effort to stretch and strengthen my hamstrings.
LG = Low Gear

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm

The increased workload had damaged some cells in the muscle fibers accompanied by an increase of waste products in the muscle tissue, which in some instances causes tightening of the muscle tissue, an increase in inflammation and pain when the affected muscle is stretched.

Rubbing an anti inflammatory cream into the affected muscle tissue reduces the inflammation, improves waste removal, and reduces muscle spasms. This is also assisted by wearing compression gear during rest periods such as the night after strenuous exercise.

Rubbing a warming muscle liniment into the muscle tissue prior to further exercise prior to it fully being healed warms the muscle tissue and reduces the likelihood of additional muscle cell damage to the affected areas.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 pm

My hammies were in so much pain last night they woke me up... basically from my butt to my ankles is aching way down deep. Not nice :(

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:26 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My hammies were in so much pain last night they woke me up... basically from my butt to my ankles is aching way down deep. Not nice :(
Not nice that's for sure :cry:

Too big an effort, or sciatica?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Funnily enough my back is good and has been for a while... although I have never found the fitness I had before I blew it out.
No sharp pains, nothing "nerve like" ... just a deep ache which is painful in itself. Part of it is the cold and damp I think ... I will feel better when winter is over!.
The other part is for some reason since I hurt my back everything has tightened up from my hips down... I stretch a bit but never get much results.