Skin irritation from Garmin HRM strap

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nandystam

Skin irritation from Garmin HRM strap

Postby nandystam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:34 am

Hi all

This probably isn't an injury per se, but it seems the Garmin premium HRM chest strap doesn't play nicely with my skin. I am someone who probably sweats a bit more than the average person, but I am finding that across the middle of back, my skin is continually irritated after rides. From going to the GP, it got irritated to the point of being some kind of fungal infection.

Rinsing the strap off in the shower after every ride didn't seem to help either, so a bit of cream and not using the strap anymore seemed to clear things up, but I'd like to try using the strap again. I've seen solutions involving band aids, medical tape and vaseline, but these are usually suggestions for chafing across the front, which I don't have a problem with. Would they work across the back as well?

I also have a Polar HRM strap which should also work with Garmin HRM sensor, but I'm not sure if there are any differences in the material used?

petie

Re: Skin irritation from Garmin HRM strap

Postby petie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:04 am

I have started using a Scosche rhythm + which is an optical hr sensor and can be strapped around your arm from the wrist up to bicep. The strap is nice and soft and might play better with your skin as well as being located in a slightly less sweaty area. Might be a good option for you?

nandystam

Postby nandystam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:20 am

petie wrote:I have started using a Scosche rhythm + which is an optical hr sensor and can be strapped around your arm from the wrist up to bicep. The strap is nice and soft and might play better with your skin as well as being located in a slightly less sweaty area. Might be a good option for you?
I have seen those and I've thought about that as an option, albeit a pricey one. I think Garmin also have a HRM strap that is more plastic than fabric as well.

Do you find it accurate enough for measuring HR?

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:27 am

Perhaps an obvious question, but have you washed the strap in with a load of washing also? Might need a proper clean, not just a rinse. That said, sometimes it just won't matter how clean it is :(

petie

Postby petie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 am

Most definitely! More accurate than my chest strap that constantly got interference from my cycling jerseys in the wind :-P
The dcrainmaker review details accuracy better than I ever could. I think it helps that I have a brilliant moon tan, but unless you have very dark skin you shouldn't have a problem.

Edit: jbhifi had them for 129 not long ago. Certainly more expensive than a chest strap, but not as bad as a mio link or other optical hr!

nandystam

Postby nandystam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am

Carrots wrote:Perhaps an obvious question, but have you washed the strap in with a load of washing also? Might need a proper clean, not just a rinse. That said, sometimes it just won't matter how clean it is :(
It's been through the regular wash cycle a few times when I was wearing it.. still no good. I've stopped wearing it for now and everything has healed up so I could possibly give it another go but would rather not..

woody81

Postby woody81 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Could you put some towelling under the strap?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:27 pm

I'd suggest a soak in dilute chlorhexidine perhaps once a month. You can get 4% chlorhexidine wash from a pharmacy and about a tablespoon in a sink of warm water is adequate.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

vince

Postby vince » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:02 pm

This will sound really odd but i had to use elastoplast for quite a while after surgery, the nurse would come around to change the dressing and i had developed a rash from the tape. She suggested i dab mylanta liquid, yes the indigestion one, onto the affected area a couple of times a day and that worked a treat
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Mylanta contains aluminium oxide and magnesium.
Some common skin rashes are caused by fungi feeding on naturally occurring yeast on the skin. The fungi doesn't like aluminium or magnesium, nor zinc (zinc cream) for that matter.
I fixed an annoying "jock rash" on a bike tour with deodorant/anti-perspirant. Aluminium is the active ingredient in most deodorants and anti-perspirants.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:50 am

Tim wrote:Mylanta contains aluminium oxide and magnesium.
Some common skin rashes are caused by fungi feeding on naturally occurring yeast on the skin. The fungi doesn't like aluminium or magnesium, nor zinc (zinc cream) for that matter.
I fixed an annoying "jock rash" on a bike tour with deodorant/anti-perspirant. Aluminium is the active ingredient in most deodorants and anti-perspirants.
+1 - Roll on deodorant also works well when applied to feet and in between toes not only to reduce foot odor but also in treating and reducing the incidence of tinea infections.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:22 am

Great tips!

To the OP, if you are getting fungal infections from the strap I'd toss the strap and swap for a new one just to be sure.

The regular HRM has been fine for me the last several years. Reliability issues due to flapping jerseys are mostly dealt with by cinching up the strap a bit tighter. I have the premium one that came with my 810 but probably won't use it. Will flog it off on ebay and stay with the regular HRMs that I already have.

nandystam

Postby nandystam » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:26 am

trailgumby wrote:Great tips!

To the OP, if you are getting fungal infections from the strap I'd toss the strap and swap for a new one just to be sure.

The regular HRM has been fine for me the last several years. Reliability issues due to flapping jerseys are mostly dealt with by cinching up the strap a bit tighter. I have the premium one that came with my 810 but probably won't use it. Will flog it off on ebay and stay with the regular HRMs that I already have.
Yes, some very interesting and useful responses! Thanks all.

When you say regular HRM, you mean the plastic-looking HRM strap Garmin offer on the non-premium model? I've no reliability issues with the HRM readings.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:38 pm

nandystam wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Great tips!

Yes, some very interesting and useful responses! Thanks all.

When you say regular HRM, you mean the plastic-looking HRM strap Garmin offer on the non-premium model? I've no reliability issues with the HRM readings.
Yes, that strap. The stretch section is available separately quite cheaply, and the main plastic unit has been been reliable and issue free. REports from mates with the premium unit seem t indicate it is less reliable. :?

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Had similar issues, solution for last f our months has been a Mio Link - Optical Wrist strap - ANT+. Battery lasts at least 8 hours.

Was $120ish from Mio