fixed gear/single speed= bad for your knees?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ColinOldnCranky

Re: fixed gear/single speed= bad for your knees?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 pm

ldrcycles wrote:With an appropriate gear selection (you would not have the same gear for riding the Nullarbor Plain as you would around the Alps) a singlespeed will make you fitter without causing injury. And the fitter you get, the more enjoyable it is, as a singlespeed is noticeably smoother than a geared bike.
In future when taking the stairs at work how about carrying a co-worker on your back when you do. It will "make you fitter witout causing injurty".

Without causing injury? Not quite so simple as that. Pushing too high a gear for lengthy spells can cause extreme back pressure on the heart, potentially dangerous over time (expansion of blood-laden leg muscles constrict the arteries). Not at all good for health if your sport weakens your heart catastrophically. Not great for the knees in the long run either.

On the other hand, if you make your ratios sufficiently low enough to reduce this sufficiently across a range of terrain then it is not a far stretch to imagine joint and RSI type injuries from more pedal strokes than otherwise would be necessary. (Speaking a little with myself in mind as I do all my riding at lower ratios than most and, at my age, I am concerned that I may not be able to continue.) Most riding is not all Nullabor flat or all hilly. Not one to the exclusion of the other. My daily ride has it all in relatively benign Perth. Factor in shifting winds to that as well.

Like the OP I can't see the sense of single speed either and am of the opinion that it's attraction is significantly tribal and a desire to be part of a sub-culture more than for performance or practical reasons. Some people just like to be part of minority sub-cultures (so says the guy that rides a unicycle :roll: ).

Actually, not quite true. SIngle speed is good choice for cycle polo. :mrgreen: Though no different than selecting the appropriate gear from a multitude of gears and then leaving it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Oxford wrote: Surprised bu your response, because by definition, you are a single speed aficionado, fixed at that.
Well, yes I am but it was borne out of necessity. (Bike related RSI as it happens.)

Though even if I did now have a choice of bike or uni, as you intimate, I am indeed now hooked on the unicycle. For better or for worse. 8)

Merry Xmas Ox.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:54 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: In future when taking the stairs at work how about carrying a co-worker on your back when you do. It will "make you fitter without causing injury".

No stairs at my workplace :lol: . Otherwise i would probably try it :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

brensurfer

Postby brensurfer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:14 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Gears have their place but so do singlespeeds and fixed gears. And their certainly not a fad. I have never experienced any knee pain riding either SS or fixed. It's all about using the appropriate gear for the terrain and style of riding.

I have ridden singlespeed mtb for 16 years. I went SS after my disastrous experimentation with early dual suspension. I loved the reliability and the clean look. They remind me of an oversized BMX. For me a SS is the perfect tool for a 2hr single track XC ride.

Fixed gear road riding is about building your base and smoothing your spin. Not monstering some huge gear. Sure you could use a geared bike but a fixed gear gives you no excuses. Choose a low mid 60's inch gear and twiddle away.
Spot on! SS can be awesome fun and is great for base training. I was never faster or fitter than when I ride mostly SS MTB and commuted in a fixed gear bike. Correct gearing is essential, learning to spin smoothly at high RPM . It's awesome fun!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:19 am

late to this conversation so much have been said, but...

what a load of old cobblers AND your original presumption is incorrect. A fixed gear rider who knows what they're doing does NOT overgear. A slightly different style of riding can lead to knee grumbles and issues, but once the muscles are tuned a little there are no greater problems than with any other kind of cycling.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:01 pm

^^ I'll had something else =poor bike fit! :wink: :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km