Slow motion = bad stack

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
moosterbounce

Slow motion = bad stack

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:52 am

So after 10 years of riding (this time around) I took a bit of a stack on Sunday. Actually it was a big stack while training on the freeway path south of Cockburn. Thanks muchly to Mr Highbury Homes who stopped and chatted while family and the ambo arrived.

It was simple - I lost concentration on a bend, didn't take it, went off the edge of the path and dug into soft sand about 6 inches. Sudden stop, sideways fall.

I have a minor amount of bark off above my knees and one forearm, a cut eyebrow from my sunglasses I think which has given me a great black eye that's getting blacker by the minute. These are superficial. The biggie is the shoulder.

I've broken the knob off the humorour near the shoulder and apparently have shattered that into more than 4 pieces. Surgery probably tomorrow to pin and plate and hope for the best. I've been told that because of the damage and lack of blood flow since the accident that there's a 50/50 chance it will heal but that I'll need a shoulder replacement if it doesn't.

Not great news at my spring chickeny age so fingers are crossed it heals. Any surgery that requires you to "wait for parts" is pretty major. I've been advised about 3 hours. Then healing beggins and I may be out by Christmas but goodness knows when I'll be able to ride. Or paddle. I'm guessing months away.

I will of course keep folk updated on progress when there is some. :(

toolonglegs

Re: Slow motion = bad stack

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 am

Really sorry to hear that Moo :cry: ... I hate doing the xmas dishes as well but I wouldn't go as far as you to get out of it.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:54 am

Damn! Very sorry to hear it. Good luck with the pinning and plating!
Andrew

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Moo, I am very sorry to hear about your stack, and sooo close to Christmas too :(
Here's wishing you all the best, I hope the surgery goes smoothly and you are biking and paddling in no time.
Good Luck. Claire
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:44 pm

[emoji107] [emoji26] Bugger!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm

So sorry to read that you have had a fall that did so much damage. :(
Like everyone else on here I can only wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I guess moosterdon'tbouncetoomuchnow then hey? that's a bugger.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Ow, poor Moo :( Slow speed stacks hurt bad.

Good luck with the medics, hope you're back out there quick and whole soon.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Bugger..... So easy to do, hope it works out for you Moo!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:51 pm

moosterbounce wrote:It was simple - I lost concentration on a bend, didn't take it, went off the edge of the path and dug into soft sand about 6 inches. Sudden stop, sideways fall.
Ouch. Mate did something similar - broken forearm. Get well!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Broken knob .... sounds bad.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:39 am

Sorry to hear about that, mooster. Hope you get a good result.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Bugger, hope you heal quickly.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Bugger bugger biznatch bum owies :(

Sorry to hear it and hope the recovery is smooth and quick. Try to have a good Chrimbo while you're at it & better luck next time.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ow, poor Moo :( Slow speed stacks hurt bad.

Shaun
Wasn't that slow - about 30kmh according to the garmin. It just all appeared to be in slow motion. I came to a very sudden stop which I'm guessing is why the bang was big.

Surgery happened and I'm home now which is good. Doc found ligament damage as well as one loose bit moving about 180 degrees...so it took a lot of work apparently. Movement is very restricted obviously but I have some physio exercises to start and fingers are crossed for keeping my own bones!!

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Good luck with rehab mate sorry to hear about the accident.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:50 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Ow, poor Moo :( Slow speed stacks hurt bad.

Shaun
Wasn't that slow - about 30kmh according to the garmin. It just all appeared to be in slow motion. I came to a very sudden stop which I'm guessing is why the bang was big.

Surgery happened and I'm home now which is good. Doc found ligament damage as well as one loose bit moving about 180 degrees...so it took a lot of work apparently. Movement is very restricted obviously but I have some physio exercises to start and fingers are crossed for keeping my own bones!!
Fingers, toes, eyes, everything crossed from over here. Glad to hear you've got exercises to do already, that's promising.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:05 pm

If there is some concern in regard to a satisfactory healing response depending on what has been done to hold the fractured bone stable it may be worthwhile investigating the use of pulsed magnetic field therapy.

I'm personally convinced after a lot of years seeing the result of that type of treatment that it is certainly worthwhile in most fractures to speed up and stimulate the healing process. The only time I have some concern about the use of this therapy is when there is a lot of stainless steel in the way of pins and screws holding everything together.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 am

Interesting thought ght. I will read up. I do however think I may have too much hardware in the way...they had to order parts for goodness sake!!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Ouch, heal well moo
physio may let you on your tacx trainer eventually, good that the physio exercises have started already.

But how is the bike??
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Don't really know about the bike. There's a few scratches on the bars etc, but unsure structurally. He'll go to his own doctor for a checkup soon :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 am

cyclotaur wrote:Broken knob .... sounds bad.
Naturally, it happened in Cockburn

Moo, all the best for the healing process- something I know too well and don't wish upon anyone

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:35 pm

3 weeks on from my surgery and I think things are improving. It's hard to know whats going on at bone level, but generally I am less uncomfortable. Still haven't needed pain killers since returning home. Surgical wound healing beautifully so I'm told.

I've been doing some reading up since I came home and have determined that my type of fracture isn't really categorised. They only seem to categorise up to 4 part fractures and I had more. <overachiever> It was a displaced proximal humeral fracture (more than 4 part) together with the bicep tendon damage. One end of the bicep tendon attaches to the top of the humerus - because i shattered that, the tendon detached. It was re-attached to something during surgery, but I don't know how or where.

I currently can't move my arm much and am not allowed to. I should be avoiding engaging any of the muscles around my shoulder at the moment apparently which also means not using my right arm too much. I have 3 physio exercises - stretch and clench fingers (not too tight); use good arm to support bad arm (in sling) and pull it out forward - I can get about 20 degrees out; use good arm to move bad arm from classic sling position to the left while keeping elbow at side - I can get about 80 degrees. I'd normally have other exercises but the tendon healing restricts that.

My eye has almost healed; my fingers are no longer bruised and swollen; grazes are healed and gone; my bruised thigh has gone but needs a good massage; my rib bruising seems to have faded; the inside of my broken arm is still purple and green with bruising.

My GP described my injury as life altering. That's pretty major...I came off around 30-35kmh, single bike incident with no-one else involved, and i didn't hit my head. Take care folks as it isn't just cars you need to watch out for.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Would it be too flippant to suggest body armour on your next ride Moo? :oops:

Keep healing well mate.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi Moo,
I am glad things are tentatively OK so far. From what I have heard, shoulders can be a pain to get right. Life altering indeed.
moosterbounce wrote:...they had to order parts for goodness sake!!
If it is any consolation, the hospital had to order in new surgical equipment to perform one of my operations. My films went to a surgical conference in Asia and no-one there had seen my injury.
Don't be stingy with the pain killers - the vast majority of people who end up with chronic pain following an injury/operation come off pain relief early, thinking they don't need it. Also, once the physio gets stuck into you, you'll be begging for relief!