BNA losers club - 2015

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: BNA losers club - 2015

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm

skull wrote:Try neutral grip to start off.

When I was in the Army I my best was 27 normal grip (overhand - grips facing away) chins.
Thanks skull. I will try that grip next time I train.
<removed by request>

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

CKinnard wrote:Mate, it takes me around 10 minutes to make enough salad for 3-4 meals, which I fill up a 3 liter plastic decor container.
That lasts 36-40hrs without going soggy. If I'm having legumes, I crack a 400g can and use half or all depending on activity levels.....add lemon juice or other dressing, and bang....I'm sitting down eating. When I get home from work, I can be eating within 5 minutes.

Sometimes I thaw frozen meat to go on top of the salad...that takes around 10 minutes in a plastic bag in hot water, then into the grill....done in 6 minutes. If I am doing starch, I just cut up potatoes/pumpkin and into the microwave...generally done in less than 8 minutes.

Once you get proficient at chopping and shredding vege, making salad is very "fast food". :)
After a lifetime of eating meat and 3 veg, spag bog, casseroles, curries etc it is very difficult for one with my modest culinary skills, to actually make an attempt at cooking/preparing healthier food. Whilst I can't speak for others it is simple instructions, like you just included in your post, that are lacking for me. Join the dots, or basic, practical, preparation instructions are a huge help. Thanks. :)
I'm not on here trying to lose weight, I'm pretty happy with that, just after healthier diet options.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

zill

Postby zill » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Couldn't sleep again and had a hard time to fight temptation - but won in the end. The rule of no large quantities of food over 3g/100g or 100ml seem to be working since there is nothing worth to binge eat with that low amounts of sugar (artificial sugar just doesn't taste the same). Feels good not to binge eat since if you are on a calorie budget, you can eat a lot of normal things and feel good for the whole day if you don't binge eat high calorie foods (which can take many days to burn off).

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Just ran some caloric percentage numbers on the spreadsheet of my diet I posted previously. Carbs 85%, fat 6%, protein 9%. Pretty similar to many WFPB diets.

Latest weight 63.3, BMI 21.15

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Here's my intake for today.

Activity wise, it's domestics, shopping, and a 1hr walk later.

BMR 1600
TEF 120 (thermic effect of food)
TEA 300 (thermic effect of activity)
total 2020
intake 1000
deficit 1020

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Nobody wrote:Just ran some caloric percentage numbers on the spreadsheet of my diet I posted previously. Carbs 85%, fat 6%, protein 9%. Pretty similar to many WFPB diets.

Latest weight 63.3, BMI 21.15
I've never looked into a WFPB diet but if this % mix is typical, it appears to be a very unbalanced one. I'd be concerned about the long-term health effects of having such a prolonged low fat and protein intake.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:I've never looked into a WFPB diet but if this % mix is typical, it appears to be a very unbalanced one. I'd be concerned about the long-term health effects of having such a prolonged low fat and protein intake.
Since I am meeting my essential fatty acid needs and protein needs, what are you basing this concerns on?

I believe it was Pritikin who came up with the human diet ideal of 10:10:80 ratio in 1974 after studying the diet and health of many groups of people around the world. Modern western cultures have a diet of about 35% fat and about double the protein requirements.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Top Bhoy, you cannot be concerned about the %'s unless you know the total Calories Nobody is consuming.
Total Cals give an indication of grams of each macronutrient.
%'s say nothing about grams, and it's grams of protein and essential fatty acids that matter.

From memory, Nobody eats around 2800 Calories a day.

So Protein grams = 2800 * 9% / 4 = 63 grams.
Nobody weighs 63kg, so he's getting 1g pro /kg bwt.
Australian nutrient reference values (NRV) for recommended daily intake is 0.84 g Pro/kg bwt/day.....and 1.0-1.8 if doing an extreme amount of higher intensity exercise such as training for ironman triathlon or trying to bulk up muscle for body building competitions.

Fat = 2800 * 6% / 9 = 19 grams
NRV recommends 14g / day for adult men.

Top Bhoy you are not alone in having an erroneous understanding of optimal diet.
Your mindset would be challenged deeply by a consult with a respected sports dietitian.

NRV references:
https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/protein" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/fats-t ... atty-acids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 pm

01/01 101 kgs
20/01 102.5 kgs
07/02 102.5 kgs
23/02 102.5 kgs
28/03 102.5 kgs

Hmmm ... 2000kms since last weigh in and no change :roll:
Maybe I need a real job that doesn't have a fridge / fruit bowl !!!

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:54 pm

CKinnard wrote:Top Bhoy, you cannot be concerned about the %'s unless you know the total Calories Nobody is consuming.
Total Cals give an indication of grams of each macronutrient.
%'s say nothing about grams, and it's grams of protein and essential fatty acids that matter.

From memory, Nobody eats around 2800 Calories a day.

So Protein grams = 2800 * 9% / 4 = 63 grams.
Nobody weighs 63kg, so he's getting 1g pro /kg bwt.
Australian nutrient reference values (NRV) for recommended daily intake is 0.84 g Pro/kg bwt/day.....and 1.0-1.8 if doing an extreme amount of higher intensity exercise such as training for ironman triathlon or trying to bulk up muscle for body building competitions.

Fat = 2800 * 6% / 9 = 19 grams
NRV recommends 14g / day for adult men.

Top Bhoy you are not alone in having an erroneous understanding of optimal diet.
Your mindset would be challenged deeply by a consult with a respected sports dietitian.

NRV references:
https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/protein" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/fats-t ... atty-acids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The calories Nobody consumes is a separate independent issue. My daily calorie intake is significantly less than 2800 calories and I am heavier. Therefore, what works for Nobody won't necessarily work long-term for me (and many others). It's not a choice which I intend to pursue but if a 10:10:80 ratio works for Nobody then that's all that matters and good luck to him with that choice.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:The calories Nobody consumes is a separate independent issue. My daily calorie intake is significantly less than 2800 calories and I am heavier. Therefore, what works for Nobody won't necessarily work long-term for me (and many others). It's not a choice which I intend to pursue but if a 10:10:80 ratio works for Nobody then that's all that matters and good luck to him with that choice.
What matters is the number of grams, and even better grams/kg bwt, as per the NRV links....which is what sports dietitians use to prescribe diets for Australia's professional and elite amateur athletes.

TLL, I honestly have more success losing weight when I don't ride, but just walk. Maybe it is to do with me always tending to ride at higher intensities.
For me, staying calm is the essential component of successfully tolerating a Calorie deficit.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:09 am

CKinnard wrote:Top Bhoy, you cannot be concerned about the %'s unless you know the total Calories Nobody is consuming...
Thanks CK, saves me some typing and digging around for references. :)

Update to spreadsheet with caloric ratio added.
The spreadsheet numbers are irrelevant without some form of explanation:
To get the caloric ratio for the whole diet, I had to multiply each component caloric ratio, eg "Carbs %", from a datasheet by the weight consumed in Kg to get the "% Rel" columns. Those results are then added together to give "Components % relative to weight" raw numbers near the bottom of each column. These are then added together to get the "Total of component % relative to weight". Then each of the "Components % relative to weight" is divided by the "Total of component % relative to weight" to get the caloric ratio numbers for the whole diet.

Weighed in this morning:
62.9Kg, BMI 21.0
WTTR: 0.439 or waist of 76cm

So much for the end of the year to get to 21.0 and 0.440. Although I've definitely been eating less than is on the spreadsheet of late. Only eating if I'm actually hungry, rather than just stuffing myself at regular times. No significant change to exercise patterns.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 am

toolonglegs wrote:Hmmm ... 2000kms since last weigh in and no change :roll:
Maybe I need a real job that doesn't have a fridge / fruit bowl !!!
At least you're not gaining. :)

I think you're moving the right direction by minimizing fruit. McDougall says to limit fruit to 3 servings a day on a starch based diet. I thought I heard him say on a video to limit to a couple of pieces a day for weight loss. I'm just fortunate in that fruit doesn't affect me too much. But I can still overdo it.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... egetables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Nobody wrote:I think you're moving the right direction by minimizing fruit. McDougall says to limit fruit to 3 servings a day on a starch based diet. I thought I heard him say on a video to limit to a couple of pieces a day for weight loss. I'm just fortunate in that fruit doesn't affect me too much. But I can still overdo it.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... egetables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From a pure Calorie counting perspective, fruit is better limited when trying to create a Calorie deficit, along with starch. Consider relative Calorie densities:

Calories per Cup (weight and volume measures averaged for each group)
- Fruity Carbs 0.6 Cals/gram = 84 Cals/Cup
- Starchy Carbs 1.3 Cals/gram = 200 Cals/Cup (cooked edible form)
- Fibrous Carbs 0.3 Cals/gram = 25 Cals/Cup

Upping fibrous carbs makes most sense not only Calorically, but from an endocrine perspective.
Carbs spare fat from being used as an energy substrate, via amongst other things, stimulating insulin release, and simpler carbs like fruit are more quickly absorbed and stimulate higher insulin release)
Insulin encourages cells to take up glucose for energy and blocks fat cells from releasing fat for energy.
Once glycogen stores are topped up, insulin upregulates additional carbs to be converted to fat for storage via de novo lipogenesis.

So the take home message is eating a lot of fruit blocks you from burning bodyfat (unless you are very strict with a Calorie deficit though this is harder when getting sugar cravings).

So DurianRider's mantra should be "smash the fibrous carbs" or "veg the fkup".

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 pm

As a side note I have been reading this thread less and less. I enjoyed the start where people were sharing their journey and then lost interest as it turned into a diet ideas thread.

Wish it could be split into two threads.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 pm

I am the opposite :) I enjoy reading about better health choices and nutrition. It does seem to have veered away from just weight loss stats though.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 pm

rusty842 wrote:As a side note I have been reading this thread less and less. I enjoyed the start where people were sharing their journey and then lost interest as it turned into a diet ideas thread.
IMHO, the thread is about encouragement and info sharing between those actually on a wt loss journey.

Do you enjoy watching guys post stats week after week of no wt loss? Is your preference to limit replies to vacuous cliches like "never mind, just start again next week"?

Start a journey yourself, contribute, and you might lose the negative attitude.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:22 pm

CKinnard wrote:
rusty842 wrote:As a side note I have been reading this thread less and less. I enjoyed the start where people were sharing their journey and then lost interest as it turned into a diet ideas thread.
IMHO, the thread is about encouragement and info sharing between those actually on a wt loss journey.
I don't find it very encouraging to be slammed if I dare raise oil, fish or meat.

We all know that one poster is eating a whole foods plant based diet. That's great! So am I. We also know another poster is a fan of whole foods plant based eating, although he is not there yet! :mrgreen:

What both posters fail to realise is that:
There are many variations of WFPB diets: higher fat versions with more nuts and seeds and less starches, raw food diets, and others which make a small allowance for animal products or oil.
http://www.wholefoodsplantbasedhealth.c ... wfpb-diet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's ridiculous for this thread to degenerate into a my whole foods plant based diet is better than your whole foods plant based diet. And really not what the thread is about.

I really wish there was a diet wars thread like the helmet thread. The one place where people can argue about which brand of whole foods plant based eating is "the best".

IMHO that does not belong in this thread.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:33 pm

In this sprit of this thread, I have some interim results from my latest measure up:

Number out side the bracket is my goal to reach by 31/12/15. Numbers in square brackets are as of 29/03/15 and 30/03/15. Numbers in round brackets are numbers as of 1/03/15.

Waist: 92 cm [97 cm] (99 cm)
WHTR: under 0.5 [0.52] (0.52)
Weight: between 90 kg and 92 kg [92.5 kg] (92 kg)

30 push ups [4] (zero)
10 pullups [zero] (zero)
Bench press 75% of my body weight for 10 reps [tba] (43%)
Hold a plank for 4 minutes [tba] (unknown)
Score +6 cm or more in a sit a reach test [+4.5 cm] (unknown)
Run 5 km continuously in 20 minutes [29:54] (33:43 *)
Run 10 km continuously in 50 minutes [1:02:05] (1:10:02 *)

* calculated using average pace from 1km continuous time using the McMillan Running pace calculator

Some other results:
40 yard dash: 7.16 seconds
Standing long jump: 193 cm
60 yard shuttle: 16.62 seconds
400 metre run: 1:35
3kg medicine ball toss: 5.8 metres
Push ups: 4
to do tomorrow:
bench press
wall sit
burpees
plank
squat press
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 pm

What are you talking about CC? I've mentioned consistently I think plant based has strong scientific support and superior longevity benefits, and I've mentioned I eat meat every week.

I don't consider stating facts as I did in response to TLL's lamentations about not losing weight because of high intake of fruit, "diet wars"....nor my correction of Top Bhoy's false and negative views about Nobody's protein and fat intake.

Like Nobody, I'd encourage people to openly raise concerns even criticisms about people's different approaches to losing weight, as long as they can stomach an objective and factual response!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 pm

I actually lost 10-15 kgs very easily on a very high fruit intake... maybe I need to replace my broken smoothie machine!. I was on a roughly 80:10:10 diet but probably even closer to 90:5:5 a few years back.
All it boils down to with me is when my head is in the right place I can lose weight easily enough no matter what I eat... I just cut it back and enjoy the starve & big km's.

Problem is I work at home 9 or more months of the year, winter is very long and depressing and I always slip around October when all my goals are over... putting on 10kgs in 3 months is easy.

Life imitating my avatar!

BTW ... when I slip it isn't fruit I eat, it's cereals, bread etc, so easy to pile it on with those dense foods.

25 years vegetarian with a one year slip up adding fish... twice with in that time plant only totally about 8 years. Not a fanatic though... a big part of the not eating animals is nothing to do with diet. But I cook steak for the kids happily enough too, I make sure they know what they are eating though :lol: .

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Sorry TLL. Thought I might be helping, but obviously not. :oops:
I agee about bread as it does it to me too. As for smoothies, I've read you're better off chewing your food. But if it works for you.... :)
Last edited by Nobody on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:52 pm

ok TLL, I now understand that when you say fridge/fruit bowl, you really mean bread and cereal...and winter gets your head is the wrong place for 9 months a year! :P

Good luck to the losers, and those trying to gain inspiration from their efforts.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah for me it is basically motivation...usually from about now till October ( sunny months ) it is easy. From October on it only takes one little step off the dotted line and it all slowly comes crashing down.
Be interesting this year as I aim to spend up to 2 months back in NZ this Xmas... will see if it makes a difference.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey I haven't got anything of value to add in this thread (not that that is unusual).
Its an interesting read though. Good info, that has to be a positive.
One of my wife's friends is spruiking on about this paleo diet she has started. I could tell my wife with a confident nonchalance that there are much healthier options out there :mrgreen: