Knee Issue

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mogwaiboi

Knee Issue

Postby mogwaiboi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 am

Hi All

After a fairly hard ride yesterday I had my leg up resting stretched out on the coffee table watching TV. After about 20 minutes or so I went to get up and as soon as I bent my leg I had an intense pain go through my knee cap area and I'm pretty sure a clicking sound. My knee is still a bit tender this morning whenever I put weight on it. Has anyone else experienced this before?
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

foo on patrol

Re: Knee Issue

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 am

So your leg was stretched out straight and no support under the knee area for 20mins? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

kb

Postby kb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 am

Back when I was young and foolish (er, foolisher) I read an article on stretching that said not to lock your leg straight without tensing to raise the kneecap. Being curious, I thought, "Why not? Let's try it. " Took about 3 months for my right knee to feel normal again.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Hi All

After a fairly hard ride yesterday I had my leg up resting stretched out on the coffee table watching TV. After about 20 minutes or so I went to get up and as soon as I bent my leg I had an intense pain go through my knee cap area and I'm pretty sure a clicking sound. My knee is still a bit tender this morning whenever I put weight on it. Has anyone else experienced this before?
Sounds like sublaxation- kneecap maltracks (usually to the outside) then skips back across as you bend it, if you had weight on it it may have dislocated. The force put on the back of the kneecap can bruise the cartilage (hw do i know this- I tore a thumbnail chunk out whilst MTB and put my foot down under full weight awkwardly and the kneecap sublaxated with such force it tore the cartilage out (Freaking OUCH)