Do I use insurance?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Louie43

Do I use insurance?

Postby Louie43 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 pm

I have been cycling for a few years. Early in December I had my first major crash-aiming to get on a new path, not enough angle and feeling a bit dreamy I didn't make the path on my bike!
I must have closed my eyes hit the footpath, opened them to be still sliding on the new path.
Nothing really sore initially but did do my AC 1 joint(good bone density so no fractures)
What I am wondering is it worth claiming my expenses on BN Insurance or just wearing the costs?
Probably about $1000.
Insurance there to use but not to be abused-is this amount worth it?
Cheers
Louie43
PS yes I do have insurance but don't know BN excess
Last edited by Louie43 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carrots

Re: Do I use insurance?

Postby Carrots » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Deleted. Irrelevant - I was talking physical goods damage, not medical costs! Sorry.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Nasty; I've done the same - easy to do when if you hit the lip between the gutter and start of the ramp at a shallow angle.

TBH I'm a bit confused by the question though; if you have insurance, are covered and the claim amount is well over the excess, why wouldn't you use it? I guess you might calculate it's not worth your time to do the paperwork, but then you'd have to be on a higher hourly rate than me... not that hard :lol:

The only way to 'abuse' insurance is to commit insurance fraud IMO; insurers will look out for their own interests just fine, so there's no need to feel sorry for them when making a valid claim. That's what insurance is for; if they believed the amount to be trivial, they'd set a higher excess.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Lucky you only did your ac joint :) I took a fall before Christmas and shattered my shoulder - nothing to do with bone density though, rather the way I landed. Please don't assume that you have good bone density because you didn't break anything. Speedy healing thoughts to you.

I was looking into cycling Australia insurance last night funnily enough. I have discovered that I don't quite have enough annual and sick leave to cover the 6 weeks I currentky have off post surgery (thanks to 3 weeks off recently following knee surgery), and I may need more time off either to continue healing this fracture or post surgery for a shoulder replacement if it doesn't heal. I may need another 6-8 weeks off work that would need to be taken as leave without pay so loss of income.

Then there are the out of pocket medical expenses. CA cant cover the Medicare gap but can cover expenses that your private health fund don't cover. This includes Physio and I'm looking at some pretty intensive physio for 6-12 months after I get the surgeons ok.

I started doing the sums and yeah...it's going to be worth it for me. I have my own insurance so need to work out the fine points, but I'll be putting a claim in for something. I don't yet know the process to do all this but will be investigating that soon too.

Louie43

Postby Louie43 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you for your suggestions, I am still considering my options- I am undecided
Cheers louie43

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 pm

As a side note, Australian Super has put income protection on their insurance cover for all members unless you opted out. FYI.