Using smart watch with cycling apps?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
marc2131

Using smart watch with cycling apps?

Postby marc2131 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:14 pm

I was given a Samsung Gear 2 Neo for Christmas.
The thing has a heart rate monitor built into the watch, which tracks HR via the wrist (no need for chest strap). It also pairs off with my smartphone but has to be within about 10 - 20metre range.
Anyone here have any ideas how I can incorporate this rather strange tech into my training or ride regime?
Thanks.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

ValleyForge

Re: Using smart watch with cycling apps?

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Perhaps running the Android version of the Strava app on your phone. Maybe it will pull the HR data in.

I'm still waiting for the "watch to rule them all" though. Wrist based HR to monitor recovery, as well as a decent app, and tells the time. Sigh.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Bump? No new developments?
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 pm

I've got a Fitbit Surge to which I manually add my riding via the web. I use my Garmin for the cycling stuff, but I wanted to monitor my recovery HR, and the other things I do. So unifying it aint, but it does give me the information I need.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 pm

if you find anything keep us posted.

but since apps like strava haven't even bothered with the android wear. I think your out of luck as i think the samsung gear 2 is for samsung devices only.

davesday

Postby davesday » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:54 pm

ValleyForge wrote:I've got a Fitbit Surge to which I manually add my riding via the web. I use my Garmin for the cycling stuff, but I wanted to monitor my recovery HR, and the other things I do. So unifying it aint, but it does give me the information I need.
Just checked today that a new firmware update has released with dedicated cycling feature. It will use GPS and HR for tracking. The only thing I wished was it could support ANT+ sensors but it ain't gonna happen. I'm updating mine and will report back soon.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:10 pm

davesday wrote:Just checked today that a new firmware update has released with dedicated cycling feature. It will use GPS and HR for tracking. The only thing I wished was it could support ANT+ sensors but it ain't gonna happen. I'm updating mine and will report back soon.
Saw the update & downloaded it - no cycling as yet apparent on mine. I can manually specify it, but as I have a Garmin I don't need the GPS.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Re-sync and there it is. Hmm, guess that it could free me from an HRM strap, but lose Strava, cadence, maps, and the tell-tale Garmin chirp when I stop moving for coffee :wink: