Dealing with arthritis

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: Dealing with arthritis

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 am

I have not done any research into Emu oil but am thinking of looking into it. :?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... =emu%20oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/em ... z3nMLTSq61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Kerosene-Tin

Postby Kerosene-Tin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Ive not read alot of this thread but figured id chime in with my own experience..

I'm a wheelchair user and now handcyclist waiting for a custom one to be built at the moment.. hence I use my arms, sholders etc alot.. I always thought they'd be in mint condition forever.. while my legs work and I walk enough to throw my wheelchair on a bus.. their second thoughts in terms of locomotion and mobility..

a few months back I started getting terrible pains in my shoulder joints and wrist joint. this to me im sure is likewise as terrifying as a cyclist with leg pains.. it has the capability to destroy lives.. it concerned me greatly.. im also suffering the withdrawl of a few years on anti depressants.. dizzyness etc

it came to the point where I was starting to fear my future and the handcycle im so proud of currently being built to my specfications that would bring about a new chapter in life.. now faces the prospect of being a garage queen.. a 4000 dollar ornament rather than a machine to battle the outdoors with and meld with the cycling culture

The doctor suggested like some have been told.. its simply aging.. athough im 34.. I use my arms quite alot logicly..

since all this came about and in the search for answers ive been taking Glucosamine, Omega 3 coles brand fish oil (4 per day) and magnesium tablets...

And bloody hell what a difference it makes..im back to using my wheelchair for hours on long journeys on the weekends off work.. training for hand cycling use and droping my weight down.. of course its not 100% gone.. but id say 90% gone.. all the concerns id had no longer bother me.. and as a plus.. the withdrawls from the anti depressants I was off have almost completely stopped due to the omega 3..

so a long winded explaination yes.. and appologies.. but I realise how frightening arthritis can be.. cyclists share the same concerns I do with my arms..
but give that natural tablet combo a go before resorting to pain killers etc.. preventions better than trying to cure the pain

(also tried Deep Heat arthristis varient.. it burns like your under a hot water tap for 10 minutes.. alarmingly hot and then some.. but if you can endure the burning pain once it settles down it seems to do good. I do longer use it though :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Kerosene-Tin wrote:...since all this came about and in the search for answers ive been taking Glucosamine, Omega 3 coles brand fish oil (4 per day) and magnesium tablets...
Thanks for your input and good to see you are getting results from this. If fish oil works, then ground linseed should work as it has similar levels omega-3 fatty acids, but with no cholesterol, no toxins like mercury and less saturated fat. Cheaper too.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 pm

+1 for Magnesium, linseed oil and Glucosamine. Aldi sell shell-fish derived Glucosamine and Magnesium at a reasonable price.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Sardines!
Magpie Apologist.

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:08 pm

I've got osteoarthritis in my left hip only. It's been apparent for 15 or more years. The other one is fine, but the left one gives me curry.

Early on, I tried glucosamine, on its own. I didn't think it made any difference. In the last year, I've had this thing X-rayed, confirmed, have met with the orthopaedic surgeon and it looks like I'll have a wait. Living has become a real pain over the last year. I've been off the bike for a year and a half. Right now, I think I could ride it if I could get on. It's the getting on and off that is the problem. It's hard for me to get into cars. There are 3 kinds of discomfort, the ache, acute, and a sort of a "hamburger like rawness". The acute one can make me feel slightly shocked (nauseous) and bring tears to the eyes. I might get the wife's old step-through out this year. I'm getting real tired of feeling unfit. I might give swimming a go.

What do I do about this? Voltaren is the most effective pain reliever for me, Ibuprophen and paracetemal can give me facial oedema (scarey-its the cheek, tongue, and lips usually - too close to the airway for comfort) randomly. If I never take them, I never get these "swelling" which usually subside within 6 hours or so. Aspirin I avoid, as I am a already a good candidate for oesophageal cancer (which I don't have, and don't want) And of course you just can't take something all the time, and there can be a rebound effect - you may feel way worse when you stop.

I only use Voltaren if I am going to do something that I know is going to leave me hurting, and then I take it in the 4-6 hours before, during, but stop when I'm "done", the next day, usually. It seems better as a "preventer" than for relief of existing pain.

I do take Celery seed extract daily - 2000 mg and Glucosamine (I've changed my mind about it or am now really clutching at straws and will do anything that MIGHT help. I'm still not so sure) A friend of mine with the condition said it helped her, but was very cautious in her recommendation. - "It MAY work to reduce inflammation in about 50% of those who use it" In my case it has made ONE of the uncomfortable sensations go away completely. That being the impression the joint is made of hamburger, and that sensation went away inside a couple of hours of taking the first tablet, and recurs if I stop. No Voltaren in over a month, ( I use about a packet a year) mostly I manage my "discomfort" by gentle, variable exercise, varying my position and posture as often as possible (any position will become very uncomfortable if maintained)

Celery seed extract (some people make tea with the seeds) helped me, it may do nothing for you

I might give the turmeric a try.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 pm

I found that an ice pack after substantial work (ride in this context I guess) regardles sof whether or not I felt any discomfort got me back into serious squash and the ability to get back into hard training when I was 40. Prior to that icing only on discomfort was not enough.

I'm talking a half hour spell with a large ice pack that is insulated on the outside so the pack remains cold.

The other thing is to not eschew anti-inflamatories. Working with drugs is probably less harmful to your long term prospects than degrading joints by pushing them while inflamed. Or the non-drug option of not working them, which I'd guess is not something you would countenance.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Well I thought I'd stick in an update. I got my left hip joint replaced Aug 26, so. So this is approaching 3 months post op.

My life has changed. Wow! We'l keep it relevant.

I'm starting to ride again. Only the Surly Pugsley for the mo. I'd not ridden a bicycle but maybe a few dozen times in the last two years. Last Summer I rode out into the bush with my 7 year old grandson, only several kilometres, and was very sore in the hip in the evening and the next day.

Now all of that is different. My first couple of rides were only to see if I could get on and off and only rode around the block. Clear of the need to do formal physiotherapy sessions - assessments really, I'm out to distances approaching 10 km. That's on the Pug- it's like a tank. I am so unfit. It'll come. I'm able to get on and off the Pug just fine, but of course am still working on the extension of the range of movement. Might give the old road bike a run in a few days. This will push out the distance to in excess of 20 km, and the real fitness gains will begin, and I can get back to enjoying the scenery flow past again. The magpies have settled down and this is a good time of year to do it.

At 65, I doubt I will need to do it again (replace the worn out artificial joint) as a result of the joint wearing out. The early joints had a reputation for wearing out, and this has accounted for a certain amount of current folklore in relation to longevity. but advances in plastics technology (harder, more resilient, slipperier) make the socket much more robust and previously they used 22 mm balls. This concentrated the force in the socket more than the 32 mm ball I wear. the smaller balls were partly the cause of the higher wear rates.

I'm feeling very normal, and there appears to be little I actually can't do, though some things are a bit of a stretch. At this point, I am effectively recovering from a severe dislocation 3 months ago, with the emphasis on stretching and strengthening. I've got to get over some habits that I've developed in my movements that I've acquired over the last 3 or 4 years. My walk is once again symmetrical and of course my gait has picked up pace.

I doubt I will ever again average 30 kph for the first hour of a ride lasting 1 1/2 hours - that was an old "yardstick" I'd be happy to average 25 for the whole ride, and enjoy 40 to 50 km rides just for the sake of going for a ride again. I might even dust off the old LHT. It never did get much of a run, as the osteoarthritis started to exert its effects just about the time I had most of the little bugs worked out of it. Actually considering some of the places I like to ride, It is not so silly to consider fitting a bit of touring gear to the Pug for some time on the tracks in the hills.

Something to work on. Having long been a long commute (40 km 4-5 days a week for years) sort of cyclist with the odd tour thrown in, my fitness "yardsticks" are well established. Anyway, I feel that I "am back" though have so far to go.

Just thought I'd share that for anyone who is looking at a joint replacement and thinks their cycling days are over. I don't think that at all.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Good stuff, Papa! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Turmeric, also known as Curcumin, is working well for me right now. Been on it for almost three months and all is good. Doc recommended it because she and her husband are also taking it. Also krill pills and oily fish in the diet. We have cut out a lot of red meat.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:41 pm

I've got OA in my left knee. Had it there for a good 12 years. I picked it up early. I was taking glucosamine for it and that was great for it. Rewind one year. I started a keto diet and proceeded to stop the glucosamine due to the unknown carbs in it. I've not had any knee pain now in the past 12 months. I did start taking fish oil back in August but it makes no impact.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Shelby35

Postby Shelby35 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 pm

On Feburary 27th i had my second hip replacement in 3 years and i am only 45. Yesterday i went for my first ride for 10ks. It felt good i had been doing 20min on the trainer every 2nd day for the past 2 weeks. It is pretty amazing living without constant pain it affects your whole life. If anyone is considering a hip or knee replacement because of osteoarthritis my advice is jfdi.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm

I've been watching these videos lately......he kinda makes a lot of sense to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131z372jI6Q

Reversing arthritis.

How to regenerate the joints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1Vv5Bzw_Q

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Shelby35 wrote:On Feburary 27th i had my second hip replacement in 3 years and i am only 45. Yesterday i went for my first ride for 10ks. It felt good i had been doing 20min on the trainer every 2nd day for the past 2 weeks. It is pretty amazing living without constant pain it affects your whole life. If anyone is considering a hip or knee replacement because of osteoarthritis my advice is jfdi.
WTH? :shock: Why has this occurred? :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

Shelby35

Postby Shelby35 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Shelby35 wrote:On Feburary 27th i had my second hip replacement in 3 years and i am only 45. Yesterday i went for my first ride for 10ks. It felt good i had been doing 20min on the trainer every 2nd day for the past 2 weeks. It is pretty amazing living without constant pain it affects your whole life. If anyone is considering a hip or knee replacement because of osteoarthritis my advice is jfdi.
WTH? :shock: Why has this occurred? :?

Foo
Hey Foo the doctors have no idea as to why the surgeon said he has seen better hips in 90 year olds. I guess it is just bad luck.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 am

brumby33 wrote:I've been watching these videos lately......he kinda makes a lot of sense to me...
I agree with the diet aspect of the first video. The omega 6 to 3 ratio is an important anti-inflammation aspect to consider. It's all too easy to be eating healthy, but still have a 15:1 ratio when 2:1 is the ideal according to T Colin Campbell. Mine was 4:1 only 2 years ago, but now usually about 2:1.

From Dr Bergman's shape in the second video, it appears he may benefit from looking at the calorie density and possibly also the macronutrient ratio of his diet. IMO anyone who is taking the lead by informing others how to eat should set a good example by their own shape. His current shape takes away from his healthy diet message.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 am

Nobody wrote:
brumby33 wrote:I've been watching these videos lately......he kinda makes a lot of sense to me...
I agree with the diet aspect of the first video. The omega 6 to 3 ratio is an important anti-inflammation aspect to consider. It's all too easy to be eating healthy, but still have a 15:1 ratio when 2:1 is the ideal according to T Colin Campbell. Mine was 4:1 only 2 years ago, but now usually about 2:1.

From Dr Bergman's shape in the second video, it appears he may benefit from looking at the calorie density and possibly also the macronutrient ratio of his diet. IMO anyone who is taking the lead by informing others how to eat should set a good example by their own shape. His current shape takes away from his healthy diet message.

Hehehe....yeah he might even benefit by watching his own videos.....I actually thought that same thing when i was watching it.....he ain't a light weight eh :lol: Maybe he needs to invest in a bike...i got one to sell him..as long as he also pays the postage :mrgreen:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB