Dan's Cycling Protein Bar Recipe

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ItsDank

Dan's Cycling Protein Bar Recipe

Postby ItsDank » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:01 pm

If you're going for a ride and need to take some snacks for the long haul or perhaps you're at work and you don't want to break out the shake, protein bars are an awesome way to bring the whey whilst on your way.

What we need:

4.5 cups of raw Oats or Oatmeal
200 grams of Peanut Butter (I choose crunchy)
250ml of Milk (I've used Chocolate Milk)
150 grams of Whey Protein Powder

Directions:

1. Blend the oats if you didn't buy oatmeal. I tend to have oats sitting around for all sorts of things so this is generally my first step.

2. Mix the 150g of Whey with 250ml of Milk. Can be Choc milk or another type depending on your taste.

3. Spoon in the room temperature peanut butter. It may not look like it'll mix in but with a bit of effort, you'll whisk it into the mixture no problem.

4. Pour in the oats. Get some gloves and start mushing it altogether hardcore.

5. Once done, line a baking tray with parchment paper and push in your mix so you can cut it into bricks later. Put that into the fridge overnight.

Slice them up, I typically Cling wrap and then use aluminium foil for my packaging.

Bonus step.

For those who want to count calories or measure the amount of sugar, protein and fat, simply add together the ingredient nutritional information and divide that by the amount of bars to get a per bar nutritional figure.

And there you go. If you use roughly the same ingredients, you get around a 1:1 ratio of protein and carbs, a heap of slow burning energy and a surprisingly low amount of sugar (lets not mention the fat....it's quite high).

I prefer these bars on long rides as 1500kj's in one small hit is great for refuelling, especially with regards to the low GI oats. If you take 4 bars, a litre of water and a bottle of powerade you should be able to do 130km's without too much issue I find. If I'm doing Strava's Gran Fondo, this is my go to.

Enjoy!