Calories calculated by the Garmin?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Re: Calories calculated by the Garmin?

Postby zill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:11 pm

GAV!N wrote:
zill wrote:
bychosis wrote:After a while you will work out how accurate it is for you because everyone is different, but if you are trying to work it out down to the nearest 10% I reckon it's not going to be accurate enough. Its still not going to make up for all the estimation around the time you are not using your garmin eg eating, sleeping, walking to the bathroom, doing yours business, entering in depth questions to a cycling forum using a keyboard etc.

Got all those other things covered. Just need the extra calories I burn while riding accurately.
So how many calories does it take to post a stupid question then?
Clearly you are the only person in this thread who needs to worry about this question.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 pm

I was worried about it too, although stpid is perhaps too strong a word.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Strong words burn more calories.

Seriously Zill. You have 'all those things covered', which must mean you have determined exactly how many calories you burn by sitting on this forum typing away, therefore you should be able to answer my question. So yes, I'm genuinely worried about this question.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:37 pm

If we're göing to argue about stupid, I'd like to submit a vote for the LBS that said PMs are useless for calculating calories burnt, and that heart rate is a better measure. Sheesh :roll: