Protein Shakes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Protein Shakes

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Parker wrote:That just threw me off... I don't know what to do with that
Do you get the shakes if you don't have enough protein. I usually get the shakes if I don't have enough caffeine. :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
Robinho wrote:I love lamp
Really? I find the power cord is tricky to get down ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Here's your prize Moo :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:25 pm

I've found after a good intense session of hill repeats that I need some form of protein within 30 minutes of getting off the bike. If I don;t, my ability to focus diminishes, and the ride home in the evening is harder.

I used to use 500ml of low fat milk and a couple of tablespoons of sugar, as recommended by Cyclists' Training Bible author Joe Friel, followed by a banana. It worked really well.

Unfortunately, I have had to drop milk-based product as it inflames my sinuses and chest, leading to rhinitis and a constant need to clear my throat. My sinus and lung health have dramatically improved since dropping it.

So... what to replace it with? Soy has phyto-estrogens, bad for males in large quantities.

I've found a good protein shake alternative in the form of Sunwarrior Classic Protein powder. It is rice based, the vanilla flavour is quite palatable, and being very finely ground it doesn't have the sandy texture I've encountered with other rice proteins. It also has a full protein profile (allegedly). With a couple of tablespoons of sugar I actually look forward to drinking it.

The only downside is it is not cheap - $50 a kg.

stevemono

Postby stevemono » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

I've been using the Suisse Recovery chocolate powder and found it to be quite palatable. Better with low fat milk but still ok with water. Picked up a tub of both chocolate and vanilla flavoured protein powder from Aldi today (AT) $30 each for 1kg tubs, will try the vanilla tomorrow

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:15 am

singlespeedscott wrote:How do you know your putting on muscle Skull?
I'm not Skull, but I was losing weight and gaining muscle, measured by a Tanita scale* (and a cheapo copy), WHR measurements as a proxy, and an increase in speed on the bike (with not getting dropped until later in the ride as a proxy) and running, and how much I was lifting in the gym. This was sticking to macros (~50% protein, 35% carbs, 15% fat, and use gels etc on rides if needed usually 90 mins or longer - went a bit out the window on audax rides but hey 3000+ kcal on single ride is a lot of wiggle room). Pretty much required protein shakes to get the protein as I am vegetarian. Which leads nicely into the worst tasting.... anything pea protein.

I was initially skeptical, but used in the right way, i.e as part of a diet/program, there appears to be something in this protein thing.

*plug the figures into a spreadsheet and get the trend day to day readings are all over the place to the human mind.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm

my partner introduced me to this product. Supposed to be a meal replacement but I use it as a supplement. It's excellent post ride.

http://www.isagenix.com/en-AU/products/ ... lean-shake
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:05 pm

i have adapted to the disgusting horrible raw protein drink...

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 am

Ok if you're on a right budget what's the best option out there? You can get component ingredients. ..I bought some bcaa cheap. . Tasteless. .. and powdered egg white...yeauchh! !(AT)
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm

schroeds wrote:Ok if you're on a right budget what's the best option out there? You can get component ingredients. ..I bought some bcaa cheap. . Tasteless. .. and powdered egg white...yeauchh! !(AT)
Ricotta cheese.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:15 pm

flashpixx wrote:my partner introduced me to this product. Supposed to be a meal replacement but I use it as a supplement. It's excellent post ride.

http://www.isagenix.com/en-AU/products/ ... lean-shake
Someone at work mentioned those. I've thus far avoided them. I don't mind Protein Revival in Chocolate flavour.

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/sho ... 9-fat-free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get the larger size ones. They are very, very nice. Chocolate one is nice, coffee not bad either.

Illuminate

Postby Illuminate » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:02 pm

I have tried several well-regarded whey-derived proteins but due to mild lactose intollerance (yep, I tried the ones with the , they all end up leaving me feeling quite sick in the tummy and pass straight through me. I'm now on to the pea protein isolate (+added glutamine). The results have been comparably excellent - no more tummy gurgles/feeling sick. Perfect as a post-weights workout.

Cheers,

I

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Bulk Nutrients WPI, independently tested at about 90% of protein per serve, and works out to $1 per serve. For me, its the best and cheapest all in one little scoop in water or low fat milk.

Small ring

Postby Small ring » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:57 am

Hello all l'm new to the forum. Try Maxs maxine,thats right the girl one its cheaper and the coffee one is great