Surfer's ear (exostosis) & cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nickdos

Surfer's ear (exostosis) & cycling

Postby nickdos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced worsening of their exostosis (surfers ear) from cycling?

Exostosis is the narrowing of the ear canal due to bone growth caused by cold water exposure. I was an avid surfer in my teens and twenties but haven't done much since then. I've been aware my ears were getting constricted for the last 10 years or and recently found out my right ear requires surgery as it now 95% blocked.

The only thing that I can think of to cause it to worsen in that time is cycling. Living in Canberra it get cold enough and I often experienced ears ache during rides. I've been conscious of this and wear a beanie or ear warmers when the temp falls below about 15°. But it seems it wasn't enough as the right ear has gone from about 50% to 95% blocked in 10 years.

Now waiting for operation to drill my ear canal back to original diameter... Not fun or cheap (unless going public with a 1 year wait)

CKinnard

Re: Surfer's ear (exostosis) & cycling

Postby CKinnard » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Where did you surf avidly?

What's your diet like?

death valley 69

Postby death valley 69 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:37 pm

I had my right ear reamed out in 97. I surfed wave skis for years in cold water ; South Aust. and Portugal . I was supposed to get the left ear done but after getting the right done I thought F... that . My left ear still gets water trapped in it and both ears are susceptible to cold winds, so I wear a skull cap in winter when cycling. Good luck with the Op and expect a fair bit of pain from it ; a diamond tip drill in the ear is not fun. :)

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:51 pm

CKinnard wrote:Where did you surf avidly?

What's your diet like?
Surfed mostly in Sydney.

Diet is pretty good, plenty of fresh veggies and not too much meat or processed crap. Why do you ask?
Is it a risk factor?

Weight wise I'm fine for my age (45) - just under 70kg and 173cm.

BetterIwas

Postby BetterIwas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Mine has got worse

Now use these when cycling - http://surfears.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if can buy in Australia but I had them posted over here.

I can still hear using them - very important as I am a commuter