Donating blood and commuting

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gresford

Re: Donating blood and commuting

Postby gresford » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

That didn't go so well. Apparently I am not suitable for giving blood. Everything was fine until about 100 ml had gone into the bag, then my body decided it didn't like what was happening and put me into a full shock reaction. Took about an hour to get back to normal and the red cross sent me home for the day in a taxi!

I discussed it with the nurses and they reckon this is just a reflex that a few people have and there's nothing you can do to stop it, it would happen every time if i tried it again.

Bit bummed it went that way but at least I can honestly say I tried.

petie

Postby petie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:21 pm

gresford wrote:That didn't go so well. Apparently I am not suitable for giving blood. Everything was fine until about 100 ml had gone into the bag, then my body decided it didn't like what was happening and put me into a full shock reaction. Took about an hour to get back to normal and the red cross sent me home for the day in a taxi!

I discussed it with the nurses and they reckon this is just a reflex that a few people have and there's nothing you can do to stop it, it would happen every time if i tried it again.

Bit bummed it went that way but at least I can honestly say I tried.
The vagal nerve is a powerful thing. I'm the same except I wormed my way into a second chance where I completed the donation, walked to the front door then hit the deck. Not a good day :$

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 pm

petie wrote: I'm the same except I wormed my way into a second chance where I completed the donation, walked to the front door then hit the deck. Not a good day :$
A couple of donations ago, as I arrived for my appointment someone collapsed as they opened their car door!!!. Pure dumb luck it didn't happen as she drove home and make someone require the blood she'd just donated...

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:32 pm

gresford wrote:Bit bummed it went that way but at least I can honestly say I tried.
It does suck, but you gave it a good try - can't ask for more than that!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Donated at work today. It's a pity that will be the last time the mobile unit visits our workplace due to dwindling numbers.

I've tried to encourage a few colleagues over the journey but to no avail. Pity.

Oh well, it's back to the local community hall when the mobile unit visits my suburb each quarter.

Processed cheese, Jatz crackers and fruit cake :) Mmmm

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 pm

A problem with haemoglobin and ferritin …..

Background

Donor type: Plasma ~fortnightly, and occasional whole blood or platelets.
Rider type: ~15,000km per year. Riding to/from donations is no problem for me.
Post donation side effects: Nil for plasma, some lethargy after whole blood, woozy after platelets.
Diet: Not vegetarian, but not a big meat eater either. No supplements or additives of any type.

Problems

Just over a year ago, the finger prick test showed that my pre-donation haemoglobin level was too low, so I couldn’t donate for six months unless my GP confirmed in writing that my Hb was back within limits, and it was safe for me to recommence donations. I went through the blood tests after increasing my meat and green vegie intake a little, obtained the GP’s ok, then recommenced fortnightly plasma donations.

Last week I donated plasma as usual and all was ok. But I’ve just received a letter advising that despite my Hb being ok, my ferritin was below limits. I presume they do post-donation ferritin tests, but don’t know if this is done for every donation. As a result of my low ferritin level, I’m now unable to donate for six months unless I go through the GP / blood test rigmarole again.

With both the above ‘deficiencies’ I didn’t notice any problems with my energy levels.
Maybe they’re always low :lol:

Has anyone else experienced and resolved the above problems?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 pm

I've had to stop donating blood, at least I made it to 100. And I still get to ride my bike and enjoy life.

Blood donation proves a lifesaver

If you can donate, please consider it.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 pm

I have an appointment in August to give plasma for the first time, I often drive to the blood bank.

Anything I should be wary of, have given whole blood over 30 times over the years.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:57 am

DavidS wrote:I have an appointment in August to give plasma for the first time, I often drive to the blood bank.

Anything I should be wary of, have given whole blood over 30 times over the years.

DS
Take a book as plasma donations take MUCH longer than whole blood. It's usually around 15 minutes in the chair for me with whole blood, but more like 40 for plasma. No side effects for me otherwise. I usually commute home after donating and feel much less lethargic after a plasma donation.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:48 am

DavidS wrote:I have an appointment in August to give plasma for the first time, I often drive to the blood bank.

DS
Apart from taking longer, the only problem I’ve had from plasma donations is a very rare citrate reaction; a metallic taste in the mouth. BB offers calcium if this is the case.

As rangersac says, the positive for plasma is reduced lethargy. Cycling is no problem for me after a plasma donation. BB will still advise not to undertake strenuous activity post-donation, possibly due to the risk of further bleeding from the needle entry point.