Donating blood and commuting

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gresford

Donating blood and commuting

Postby gresford » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 pm

I have been intending to donate blood for ages and am now finally doing something about it.
However I commute by bike 5 days/week so before I go for the first session I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of how giving blood effects them re cycling.
Since you can only donate every three months anyway I'll just drive or get the train on those days but has anyone found it affected them and kept them off the bike for more than one day?
My commute is 13kms (Earlwood to Sydney CBD).

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Donating blood and commuting

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Given you haven't done it before, I would say PT/Drive on the day is the way to go for your first time. Personally, whole blood has little effect on my ability to go about my normal day and would have an issue getting on the bike the following day. I wouldn't ride that day, but I don't ride daily to begin with. Once you know how you are effected then you may even be able to still commute on the day.

If(or when, depending on your blood type) they ask you do to Plasma/Platelets follow the same approach. I have never had an issue with either whole blood or Plasma but Platelets knocked my on my proverbial when I did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't allowed out of the chair for about 40 minutes and didnt feel 100% until about 30 hours post donation. Definitely wouldn't have been riding. Suffice to say they politely suggested I stick to Plasma.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:21 pm

As im_no_pro suggests quite wisely, take PT / car the first time.

I commute the same day after donating, I just take it easy...

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 pm

I cycle 6 days a week and was giving blood- I never had a problem cycling in, giving blood then riding home that night (taking it easy of course). The BIG issue was I ended up with no blood stores and anemic as exercise requires a decent iron intake and the blood giving was also robbing me of iron also. It was so insidious the gradual decline in my energy levels

There was a freak out by the doctor when I did an off the cuff medical- lots of tests later (including front and rear inspections for bleeding/cancers) I was advised not to give full blood anymore and was on iron supplements for just over a year to regain my iron stores.

Would be a good idea to get iron stores checked just to make sure.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm

I have given blood since I was teenager, many moons ago.

Much to my delight, we got the convenience and time saving of getting a bus on the work site.

Had to fill in the standard form. On reading this, the nurse had a fit and wouldn't take blood because of the 30 km bicycle commute. Tried this a second time, same result.

I guess you can "change" what you write but I just gave up on that one.

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 pm

I thought they checked iron levels before donation? Isn't that the finger prick test they do?

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:03 pm

I've given whole blood and commuted home by bike - I am now giving plasma instead and still commuting home same day.

For the first time I would second (third? fourth?) the call of PT or have someone drive you - if you've never donated, you don't know how your body will respond.

I have to remind them every time I got that I cycle daily, as my resting heartrate is around 45bpm - this scares them for a moment, then they are OK.

Once you have donated, they will recommend that you don't ride home. If you do (after the first time, that is!), take it easy.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:10 pm

I've gone to donating plasma, as I can't donate whole blood without needing iron supplements to pass the Fe test next time around. Pretty much unless you're O-, they need plasma a lot more than blood anyway.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm O+, so they ask me for what they need - but plasma is often the go if your veins can handle it (36 minutes to fill for me! Boo-yah!) (What... isn't everything a competition?)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:17 pm

First up, Goodonyer! 8) The world needs more people like you :)

I'd suggest for your first few times you take PT, just in case. It will probably take 3-4 donations of whole blood before you can accurately figure your reactions out.

Personally, if I'm riding that day, I take it easy before and after, I've only had one wobbly and I put that down to insufficient hydration and pushing too hard in the morning before heading in.

You'll be right, just listen to your body for a few days afterwards and work out what works best for you.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:51 pm

gresford wrote:I have been intending to donate blood for ages and am now finally doing something about it.
However I commute by bike 5 days/week so before I go for the first session I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of how giving blood effects them re cycling.
Since you can only donate every three months anyway I'll just drive or get the train on those days but has anyone found it affected them and kept them off the bike for more than one day?
My commute is 13kms (Earlwood to Sydney CBD).
For about twenty years the red cross thought Iwas anaemic as my red cell count was always marginal, often being sent home. It was only one day that a nurse enquired if I had done vgorous exercise recently and then it all fell into place. I was playing, training and coaching squash six day a week plus fitness work on the bike and running.

In all my years and hundred and something donations I have never has an issue after donating (until just recently something unrelated to this thread). Presumably I was a little more tired but I was never aware of it.

Leave a little time between leaving their chair and saddling up and take it a little easy. Also have a bit of water if you are riding a distance as you will be more prone to dehydration.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:15 pm

KGB wrote:I thought they checked iron levels before donation? Isn't that the finger prick test they do?
They check haemoglobin- ie iron in blood, not blood stores (Ferritin) which is your back up supply of iron.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 pm

I cycle 30+ km home after giving plasma/Plattetts. They always ask if I've done it before, my response is yes for around 10 years and one year it was around 14 donations.

Take it slow, and drink lots of water.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:52 pm

I always cycle before and after giving blood. The last time, though, the nurse person said that I shouldn't exercise before donating. I asked her why, but she couldn't explain it, just that it was what she was told. Weird.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:57 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I always cycle before and after giving blood. The last time, though, the nurse person said that I shouldn't exercise before donating. I asked her why, but she couldn't explain it, just that it was what she was told. Weird.
It is almost inconceivable that the nurse did not know the reason. I'd suggest that there was a communication misunderstanding and so she was not looking to answer what you asked. She would certainly know what the effect is of exercise.

Exercise depletes your red cell count. However you can always suggest that you are OK for Plasma or Platelet donations on the day. Might take longer however.

You replace platelets and plasma within a couple or three weeks. Red cells take a couple of months.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I always cycle before and after giving blood. The last time, though, the nurse person said that I shouldn't exercise before donating. I asked her why, but she couldn't explain it, just that it was what she was told. Weird.
It is almost inconceivable that the nurse did not know the reason. I'd suggest that there was a communication misunderstanding and so she was not looking to answer what you asked. She would certainly know what the effect is of exercise.

Exercise depletes your red cell count. However you can always suggest that you are OK for Plasma or Platelet donations on the day. Might take longer however.

You replace platelets and plasma within a couple or three weeks. Red cells take a couple of months.
Interesting response. How long should you wait after exercising to donate? I ride everyday and it seems silly to me that this would exclude me from donating.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: Interesting response. How long should you wait after exercising to donate? I ride everyday and it seems silly to me that this would exclude me from donating.
I'd have thought that, if anything, exercising beforehand would be beneficial for donating - gets the blood flowing more freely and the veins poking out. I've never been turned away from an appointment, even when I've turned up on the bike and forgotten to wear baggies. I occasionally get asked if I've got a long way to get home on the bike, and a simple nonchalant 'no', or an 'I'll go very easy' satisfies their concern.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:24 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Interesting response. How long should you wait after exercising to donate? I ride everyday and it seems silly to me that this would exclude me from donating.
Next day? Immediately after riding in. How long is a piece of string? Often I would ride the whole way in and still be acceptable mostly.

After a few donations you will soon know if your red cells are low as they test the red cell count with that pin-prick they give you during interview. If you, like me, are often marginal then they may still get you connected up and take a better test, bleeding off a small jar of blood and sending it for immediate testing. Surprising how often the initial prick-test gets it wrong.

And, as I said before, even if you are habitually on the low side you will still be ok for plasma and platelet donations via aphoresis.

For the record, for an extended time I reduced the aount of exercise a fair bit and my red cell count went right up there where it should be.

Problems with low red cell counts are greater for women. (That makes Shelley Taylor Smith's achievements even more amazing.)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

OK, we'll find out next Friday when my next donation is scheduled, though I may be excluded for eating frozen berries!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:OK, we'll find out next Friday when my next donation is scheduled, though I may be excluded for eating frozen berries!
Anyone who has eaten the recalled products is excluded for 2 months based on what I heard this morning.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:25 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:OK, we'll find out next Friday when my next donation is scheduled, though I may be excluded for eating frozen berries!
Anyone who has eaten the recalled products is excluded for 2 months based on what I heard this morning.
Glad I stay away from them then, booked in for the first week of March for number 73.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
I didn't eat the Nanna's one, rather the sub brand one (Creative Gourmet) which wasn't part of the original recall, but has been added just in case. I'll contact the Red Cross tomorrow and ask them. Bloody nuisance.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: I didn't eat the Nanna's one, rather the sub brand one (Creative Gourmet) which wasn't part of the original recall, but has been added just in case. I'll contact the Red Cross tomorrow and ask them. Bloody nuisance.
Anyone who has donated since Nov 1 should contact them only if you have had the originally recalled product (at this stage all confirmed cases are linked to that product and they need to id the most at risk existing donations in the system). All recalled products put you on the 2 month exclusion list. Id say your on the bench :(

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:45 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote: I didn't eat the Nanna's one, rather the sub brand one (Creative Gourmet) which wasn't part of the original recall, but has been added just in case. I'll contact the Red Cross tomorrow and ask them. Bloody nuisance.
Anyone who has donated since Nov 1 should contact them only if you have had the originally recalled product (at this stage all confirmed cases are linked to that product and they need to id the most at risk existing donations in the system). All recalled products put you on the 2 month exclusion list. Id say your on the bench :(
I wouldn't be surprised. The annoying thing is that I normally eat Aussie grown berries I get from the markets, but they get quite expensive. I only bought frozen berries for the first time a few days before the recall, sort of like deciding to go on a cruise on that new Titanic ship you've heard so much about.

gresford

Postby gresford » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm booked in for next Tues, I'll go PT that day to be on the safe side.

No berries were consumed by me, the nations blood supply is safe!