Feeling more hungry than usual after weight training

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Feeling more hungry than usual after weight training

Postby zill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 am

Calories burned while doing weights is minimal. For someone around 70kg, doing weights for 30 minutes burns around 500 kj which is very modest. However, it is widely known that weight training elevates your metabolism for up to 48 hours. But are there any reliable formulas to calculate how much higher metabolism is elevated after a weight training session?

Note that I am interested in a formula because I am currently strictly counting my calories intake and expenditure.

bychosis

Re: Feeling more hungry than usual after weight training

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 am

Doesn't the 500kj take into account the period after the effort?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 pm

http://jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it would be difficult to separate muscle hypertrophy AND repair related metabolism.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Is there a correlation between metabolism and hunger sensation?

I tend to get stupidly hungry after any sort of exercise but I'm pretty sure judging by my slowly increasing mass gain that this does not correlate to metabolism. But that's just me, are there any stats or sources that link the two?

If you are counting calories, you could just move to lower calorie foods. I know the whole low carb thing is the trend but for me eating a piece of bread or pasta will keep me fuller for longer than a steak and veges, so it's pretty important component for me. Alternatively, food timing is probably a bit important here. If you're trying to lose weight pre and post workout meal planning is a must. If you plan to be hungry then you have more control over what exactly it is you eat. If you don't, well then the donuts looks really nice.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

zill

Postby zill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm

bychosis wrote:Doesn't the 500kj take into account the period after the effort?
No way, walking at regular pace for 25 min at 70 kg would burn that much energy.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Firstly: I'm not a scientist.

If it takes 500kJ to carry out an actiity your body will do all sorts of things to turn your current mass into that energy outpt (burn fat/sugars etc). In doing so it must take into account the attempt to replenish fuel reserves from within (part of the effort process). It also signals that for future efforts you will require more fuel by requesting more input (hunger) to cover the defecit. My point being that the 500kJ burnt to lift the weights does not mean that at the end of the lifting your body just returns to its neutral state. It's not like a car where the fuel is imported from a secondary source and is waiting in ready to go format 24/7 and the consumption is measured by how much of the fuel goes into the engine.

Anyhoo, most of us here on the internets aren't experts and probably agree with me that you are overthinking it. If you exercise you need to eat, and eating healthy is better than eating crap. You would be better served by doing a lot of research, from published scientific papers (not wikipedia/google) and consulting highly trained dieticians and sports science dudes.

Edit: This might not making be sensibles.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm

bychosis wrote:Firstly: I'm not a scientist.

If it takes 500kJ to carry out an actiity your body will do all sorts of things to turn your current mass into that energy outpt (burn fat/sugars etc). In doing so it must take into account the attempt to replenish fuel reserves from within (part of the effort process). It also signals that for future efforts you will require more fuel by requesting more input (hunger) to cover the defecit. My point being that the 500kJ burnt to lift the weights does not mean that at the end of the lifting your body just returns to its neutral state. It's not like a car where the fuel is imported from a secondary source and is waiting in ready to go format 24/7 and the consumption is measured by how much of the fuel goes into the engine.

Anyhoo, most of us here on the internets aren't experts and probably agree with me that you are overthinking it. If you exercise you need to eat, and eating healthy is better than eating crap. You would be better served by doing a lot of research, from published scientific papers (not wikipedia/google) and consulting highly trained dieticians and sports science dudes.

Edit: This might not making be sensibles.
Those 500kj only takes into account the aerobic energy component. There are more significant energy expenditures associated with lifting weights but it's still an active area of research it seems.

Here is an interesting article http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/upl ... script.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;