Hand cramps & shoulder pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
juandemi

Hand cramps & shoulder pain

Postby juandemi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi all,

New member here, dope you all can bear with me on this one.

Close relative gave me a 2007 Giant OCR Composite 3 road bike :) recently as I'm interested starting bike riding (used to marathon and soccer).

Took my bike to bike shop for a fitting and they reduced the stem to 65mm (from 90mm). They said any shorter stem will make the bike inefficient in high speed? :roll:

Every time I ride my bike for 30 mins plus, my shoulder starts to get sore and hand pain (mainly thumb area). Is there anything I can do to solve this? Searched on internet, some suggest raising stem, short reach bar.... etc. :?:

I'm 5'6" with 80cm inseam. According to Giant website, I should be fine for this bike (both size S and M covers 5'6").

Any help will be much appreciated.

foo on patrol

Re: Hand cramps & shoulder pain

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 pm

What's your core strength like? Can you sit in your riding position and take your hands off the handle bars and not headbutt the strut, oh sorry they are now called stem? :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

juandemi

Postby juandemi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 am

I'm on the weak side and cycling is one of the things I'm trying to get myself back into shape

kb

Postby kb » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:50 am

Sort of hard to advise over the tubes. Raising bar height may help. Is your seat level?
Don't overdo it if you're getting pain.

juandemi

Postby juandemi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Just changed over the head stem to 30 degree, now my hands are fine after 30 mins, but it seems my lower bad starts to get hurt instead[emoji26]