Biceps Tenodesis surgery...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gabrielle260

Re: Biceps Tenodesis surgery...

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Both of you are doing really well! Well done - very impressive number of steps given where you are both in your recovery.
Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am

moosterbounce wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I originally fracture dislocated my shoulder when I highsided my motorbike. I may eventually need a full shoulder replacement too.

I just bought myself a trainer to get riding again after doing my back. Even though I am still trying to get past 8000 steps in a day. Up to 5400 today and currently sitting down to recover.
Geez Chops - you've had a bad run. Your shoulder injury sounds as close to mine that I've heard of. It is too soon to know what range I have lost - for lifting my passive motion is still greater than my active, but my rotation is shot. Luckily it's my left arm so I won't be able to blame that for my dodgy tennis game ;)

I too am working to build up my step count. I'm assuming you have an activity monitor or pedometer? I used a garmin vivofit and found the increases it made to my goal were completely acceptable - it started at 5000 and grew by 2-300 per day so very doable to increase. The battery lasts 12 months too and as they have been superseded, they are heaps cheaper now too.I've leant mine to my sister for the next 3 weeks while she's overseas, but if you wanted to borrow it when it returns, let me know and i'll pop it in the post.

My shoulder was immobilised for 11 weeks and I spent a lot of time on the couch as things like walking hurt my arm, even in the sling. I actually hit 10,000 steps yesterday and couldn't believe it as I've been averaging 5000, but I have started getting off the bus a stop or two sooner and walking. Now that I'm back at work (half days), I can do a bit more like that - in small bursts.
I got a fitbit charge for Christmas so have been tracking sleep and steps since then. Ramped up in the last week since my son was born as he has been in hospital so lots of walking to and from the car. Wollongong hospital is shocking for parking.

I hope to start swimming again soon as it will be good for my shoulder and back. I have enough movement to do a dodgy version of freestyle.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Welcome to the discussion - the more the merrier.

My second repair has now lasted longer than the first attempt - happy days.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:07 am

thearthurdog wrote:Welcome to the discussion - the more the merrier.

My second repair has now lasted longer than the first attempt - happy days.
Yea! Well done.... My research showed the failure rate is quite a bit lower than Dr Google suggested. Hopefully this one continues to progressively improve.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Another physio trip and a few more exercises added. I have now progressed to doing an arm curl with a...wait for it...1kg weight!! But don't ask me to do more than 2 sets of 15. It doesn't seem much, but I can surely feel it. I'm not doing 10km on the trainer too, using my arm occasionally, but I can't use it for the whole ride and I shouldn't keep it in the same place for that length of time anyway (at the moment). Some positives.

How's everyone's rehab going?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:55 am

Baby steps back to fitness, Moo. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:15 am

moosterbounce wrote:Another physio trip and a few more exercises added. I have now progressed to doing an arm curl with a...wait for it...1kg weight!!
How's everyone's rehab going?
I'd be really pleased if I was allowed to do 1kg bicep curls!
Well done Moosterbounce- steady progress is great to see!!
I'm progressing very slowly but the physio reckons I am a couple of weeks ahead.... I think he's just saying that to make me feel better!!
I'm still working on range of movement- some weeks yet before I can weight bear.
Andrew

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:33 am

Sounds like you are going well Mooster! I'm still same same until I see the doc in two Thursdays. I have knocked my pain killers right back. Except for an unpleasant time coming off the Endone I am feeling pretty good.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:22 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I'm progressing very slowly but the physio reckons I am a couple of weeks ahead.... I think he's just saying that to make me feel better!!
I'm still working on range of movement- some weeks yet before I can weight bear.
Sounds like progress !!
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:09 pm

It takes time. I remember struggling with the 1kg dumbells too.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:47 am

Saw the physio again just now. Another good progress report from Roger the dodger! Now says I'm unlikely to get frozen shoulder. Been given the ok to do 2 isometric exercises. Happy days!
I had set myself a pre-goal goal; wrap handlebar tape on the bike in the trainer before allowing myself to get on it. I managed to do the bar tape yesterday so I'll be on the home trainer tonight or tomorrow.
Andrew

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 pm

So the other day I chucked a wobbly. I was sick of doing uninteresting exercises and getting very little gain. Sure things are improving with lifting my arm and weight bearing, but the rotation stuff was getting to me. Just thinking about my rotation exercise hurt lots. So I took 2 days off doing any of my exercises. It felt like a holiday :) After this lovely break, I tried my rotation move...lo and behold it had almost doubled in range!! Couldn't believe it!!

So a lesson for everyone doing rehab - despite what you may be told about the number of times to do your exercises, if it doesn't feel comfortable then listen to your body and maybe give it a holiday. I think I was overdoing it - for me - despite not doing the number of sets I was recommended to do. After my holiday though I can do almost as much as I was recommended. At the end of the day the physio doesn't know how it feels when you aren't in front of them, so you need to be able to judge that yourself. Sure, no pain no gain, but there is a limit and everyone needs to find theirs.

Hope everyone is rehabbing ok :)

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:15 am

That makes a lot of sense - nice work!

I have my 'slightly early' 6 week appointment tomorrow, so i'm hoping to start physio / exercises shortly.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:55 am

Great stuff, both of you!
I'm taking the rehab exercises easy after doing too much Sunday night. All I did was use the wrong arm to pick up an oven tray with pies on it. As a result I'm back on panadeine and icing it. The physio has had a look and has said I haven't done any real damage, fortunately. But I've gone from being ahead of the rehab schedule to just on it.
So, lesson from me; the smallest things can be considered "doing something silly"!

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Good report from the doc yesterday. The physio however, was less than excited about my tight, tired and wasted chicken wing. Sooooo...the physio program has started. OMGosh. Hurtbox. The good news is, if things keep progressing, I can - take sling off in 2 weeks, ride the indoor trainer in 2 weeks, drive a car in 4 weeks, ride bike on the open road in 4 weeks. It was a real 'psychological transition' to see the doc / physio and to be getting the arm moving.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Good report from the doc yesterday. The physio however, was less than excited about my tight, tired and wasted chicken wing. Sooooo...the physio program has started. OMGosh. Hurtbox. The good news is, if things keep progressing, I can - take sling off in 2 weeks, ride the indoor trainer in 2 weeks, drive a car in 4 weeks, ride bike on the open road in 4 weeks. It was a real 'psychological transition' to see the doc / physio and to be getting the arm moving.
Hahahahaha!! Welcome to the physio!! Sorry I shouldn't laugh at the hurt box but I went last night too...still sore :( I'm sure it is beneficial in the long run, but being told it won't hurt in 6 weeks time doesn't help take the pain away!! But things are sounding positive for you. At least you get to be proactive with the physio exercises now and can start undoing the chickenisation.

At the moment for me, tight/contracted muscles are restricting passive movement. Namely my tricep. So this and all under my arm hurts when i lift too high. Which means...keep lifting too high and holding it there and live with a tricep massage every few weeks. That massage was unpleasant...but not as bad as the pectoral massage. That was murder!! The bicep massage was pretty tame.

I have another lift added to my massive 1kg weight program. I am still working on active and passive motion. I've been allowed to ride on the trainer for 2 weeks now building up the time spent leaning on my arm. Cold weather put that on pause though - hardware in arm didn't take too kindly to the weather change. I haven't been able to straighten my arm on the bike under load though, and have been told it's tricep strength. Sigh. I was told last night that I am quite some way away being able to ride on the road, but I'm going to give paddling a go over the next few weeks - I don't have enough strength for that either apparently, but I reckon I can paddle a bit and feel like I've done something productive. I'll chat to my LKS on the weekend.

And I'm finally allowed to drive!! Short distances only. It's only been 17 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you are now over "the great pie incident of 2015" Andrew :) Completely understand about the little things. I had an argument with a bowl of soup last week coming out of the microwave. The soup won and I had a very small dinner :evil: It is a lesson though - pies really are bad for you ;)

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks! What was funny was none of it was for me.
I've had a painful week - but now getting back on top of it.
Have a good weekend guys!
Andrew

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm

No pain no gain! :idea: :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I have set some goals;
1. Back on home trainer this week.
2. Ride to nearby outdoor concrete track and do laps by mid April.
3. A half Abraham (160km) by start of next summer
4. A full Abraham (320km) by end of next summer.
Let's see how it goes!
So an update on those goals;
Did the first home trainer session mid April. Had a setback or two and haven't been on the bike since. Going to try again this weekend.
Goal 2, riding to an outdoor track and doing laps won't happen till mid May I suspect but the other two goals should still be ok...
Seems the shredding of the bicep was more significant than I thought- on Tuesday my physio was amazed I was carrying my (very light) briefcase in the injured arm and then told me off for doing bicep curls with it.
How's everyone else?
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:28 pm

All OK considering from this end.

Saw the surgeon today for a "movement check" and he was pretty happy so far. Back to him again in 6 weeks for X-rays to see how the bone is holding up. I know it may be up to 2 years before signs of avascular necrosis shows up, but this will be the first time he's gone looking for it. Considering I've not had any pain meds or anti-inflammatories since i left hospital, I'm pretty positive.

I am definitely getting stronger, though the bicep curls are still only 1kg. My arm doesn't shake now though so I'm looking to step that up to 1.5kg by the end of this week. I'll stick with the 1kg for my other lifts though. I'm still not working full time though, but that is due to muscle loss rather than the shoulder. It takes quite a bit of muscle to sit upright all day, and I run out after 4-6 hours. I definitely notice though that my recovery from work is a lot less...I no longer sleep for 3 hours when I get home, but lie on the couch for 30 minutes then light movement.

10,000 steps is my daily goal and I usually reach it which is great. I've not been on the trainer for a little while...I should though despite feeling so pathetic.

Now to give everyone a chuckle...I put on a previously-unworn-post-injury bra the other weekend. All good. Went for my walk. All good. Came home and started getting changed. ERROR!! I was trapped for a good 30 minutes trying to escape the little sod without hurting myself, cutting myself free, or violence. Oh how we take lifting our arms for granted!!

Oh...offending item of clothing scrunched into a little ball and hurled (with colourful language) to the dark nether reaches of the wardrobe floor where is can sit, only to be uncovered during a future spring clean and popped in the bin.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Well done guys !

I'm a week into my physio program and it is going well. I am seeing solid improvement.

I get the sling off in a week. The thought of being able to sleep without it on is making me drool.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 pm

I had a bit of a try lying on my left arm in bed. It was ok...but not for too long. So take it easy when you go sling-less, and keep a pillow under your arm if you need to. I found my pec was very tight so it took a few weeks to lie on my back with nothing holding up my arm. I also moved a small cushion under my arm when I was lying on my right side initially. Otherwise I found I was putting too much stress on my shoulder too quickly. You may be different though as I am more shoulder then you.

I did finally pluck up the courage to ask what my implants were made of. I am a bit of a carbon freak and was concerned I actually had a metal of some sort!! :) Turns out I am stainless steel. Not titanium. Apparently - and I am sure this explanation was simplified for me - titanium bends and the bone can grow around it making removal very difficult. SSteel is heavier, but more rigid and easier to remove if needed. So there ya go!!

Have a good week folks :)

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 am

Saw Roger the dodger, physio extraordinaire, yesterday. He told me Gary Ablett would love to have the range of movement I have. I did my latest party tricks for him and he's impressed!
Now going to fortnightly sessions - a good sign!
I'm still a few weeks away from weight bearing exercise but am able to do exercises standing up instead of supine so ahead of the program!
Pain levels are better than manageable- just an ache after doing my exercises, no more painkillers.
So, all up, good progress but still a way to go.
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:44 am

Good to hear Andrew, but I am intrigued...what are your latest party tricks? I have visions of you lying down juggling 5 balls with you bad arm, but I might be wrong :wink: