Biceps Tenodesis surgery...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: Biceps Tenodesis surgery...

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 01, 2015 3:40 pm

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat May 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Two days out of the sling. Actually feel like I am alive again. Did 30 minutes on the indoor trainer this morning and it was awesome.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:31 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Two days out of the sling. Actually feel like I am alive again. Did 30 minutes on the indoor trainer this morning and it was awesome.
Sensational news! Well done!
Doesn't it feel great to get the signs of recovery!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 am

I'm back on the bike! Yea!
Put bike in car, drove to Carnegie velodrome and did laps. 21kms at the stately average of 25 kph. Shoulder aches but is ok. Funnily enough it was the vibration that caused the ache!
I'll need more velodrome riding before I go on the open road.
Andrew

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 03, 2015 3:24 pm

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun May 03, 2015 5:07 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
thearthurdog wrote:Two days out of the sling. Actually feel like I am alive again. Did 30 minutes on the indoor trainer this morning and it was awesome.
Sensational news! Well done!
Doesn't it feel great to get the signs of recovery!
Sure does ! Haven't hugged my wife and kids properly for three months either. Happy days :)
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I'm back on the bike! Yea!
Put bike in car, drove to Carnegie velodrome and did laps. 21kms at the stately average of 25 kph. Shoulder aches but is ok. Funnily enough it was the vibration that caused the ache!
I'll need more velodrome riding before I go on the open road.
Andrew
Well, amazing the change in a fortnight!
Went out with my 12yr old. I was on my rigid 29er Lynskey. We went looking for cobblestones in preparation for Melburn Roobaix. The shoulder was just fine - not sore, even though we did about 1km of cobbles.
BUT oh boy - the fitness has fallen through the floor... I was puffing on the slightest hill!
A long way to go to get back to where I was in Aug/Sept. !!
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun May 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Good news!! Congrats with this stage of your recovery :)

I've progresses to a 2kg weight for my arm curls, but still can't hold a 1kg weight out in front of me!! I did however manage 10km on the trainer last weekend using both arms for the whole ride!! Woohoo!! I am also using a home made "trainer" for paddling. It's good for strength and stretch. I can now do 45 strokes comfortably, then 2 uncomfortable, then I fall apart!!

My next aims are to increase number of paddle strokes, to a couple of hundred and then I'll head down to the kayak club and give the ergo a try. Also, not that I had my arm weight bearing for 10 whole kms, I can build on that. I want to get to a comfortable 20kms before I will be comfortable trying on the road (with physio approval of course). Lucky it is very wintery outside and I don't feel bad about not being able to ride out there!! :)

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon May 18, 2015 6:37 am

Sounds like some good progress being made by both of you which is awesome news. I'm still steadily progressing. Have had two short rides on my road bike which went okay. I see the doc next week so am keen to hear what he says.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 am

thearthurdog wrote:Sounds like some good progress being made by both of you which is awesome news. I'm still steadily progressing. Have had two short rides on my road bike which went okay. I see the doc next week so am keen to hear what he says.
All of us are making progress!!
Like you, I see the surgeon this week - tomorrow in fact - so I'll update again shortly.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon May 18, 2015 6:58 am

Cool - looking forward to it. It's amazing how quickly priorities change after an experience like this. My coach nearly fainted when I said 'I don't really care if I race this year'. It's hard to get excited about racing at the moment when I am so looking forward to: driving my manual ute, drying my back with a towel and changing a light bulb.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am

Yes - it's funny how satisfying it is to raise your hand above the shoulder!
Moost- I had a 2 week period where the most noticeable healing happened. Hopefully that happens for you where bone and tendon all improve and it all gets easier!!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon May 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Gee I wish I could join the club and see my surgeon this week...I get to wait 3 weeks before more X-rays and back to see him to look for dead and dying bone. Fingers crossed he won't find any!!

My front and side lift is now to 120 degrees which is very promising. I think most issues I am finding are related to the immobilisation now. No muscle. I read that 3-5 weeks immobility will result in 50% muscle loss. Considering I had 11 weeks...hmmmmmmm!! If it wasn't still swollen, my arm would resemble a quail wing!!

Glad to see people are doing well. I understand the priorities changing. I can just about reach my hair, can lie for a bit on my right side but not how I used to, but I would love to be able to scratch the outside of my opposite arm, and I WANT TO STRETCH!! I would pay a million dollars to just to be able to lift my arms above my head and out wide to stretch.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed May 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Good to hear some progress from most of guys.

Hang in there Moost, I had times that were the same.

Going through a similar thing now with my back.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:37 pm

Saw the surgeon. Was in there less than 5 mins, probably less than 3. I've got the ok to start resistance exercises and don't need to see him again unless I have a problem. Just got to follow the rehab program. Also in that 3 to 5 mins I asked him to speak at our old school's careers night!

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:46 am

Well done - I got the exact same story from my surgeon.

How is everyone going?

I hit the magical 12 week point this week, when I was supposed to have 100% range of movement. I'm not there. Maybe 80%? Not sure. I'm doing light band / strength work which is really difficult. I have been riding my bike on the open road for nearly three weeks with not a lot of issue, which has been great.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 am

Saw my surgeon today after getting more X-rays (I'm starting to glow in the dark). So far so good with no sign of avascular necrosis at this stage - YAY!! Back in November for another round of X-rays and to see him again unless something turns to custard beforehand (like the bone in my shoulder collapses!!). I asked if I was at an increased risk of damage if i fell again and apparently not...though if i fall bad enough I'll probably break the bone just below the plate due to bone being flexible and stainless steel not.

I've increased to 2.5kg arm curls, but still 2kg with my other lifts...although the physio added another which I can't yet do with a weight!! Still haven't been given permission to ride on the road as I don't yet have the strength. Pretty pathetic still when it comes to strength, but I am feeling more human each week and at least the dog is getting some walks now. My range is around the 120 degree mark now (front and side) and rotation about 40 degrees. Still finding muscles that don't want to work, but I am now able to see my masseuse between physio visits which hurts like no tomorrow but helps when the bruising goes!!

It's been just over 5 months since I stacked it and am not quite back to working full time again. It's hard to keep up the physio exercises at home from a time, pain, and interest perspective. I must be doing something right though as I am improving every time I get measured.

Glad others are doing well...my bicep tendon thingy hasn't been causing me any issues at all - but that was really a secondary injury. The biggie for me now is muscle wastage and re-engagement. I think people underestimate how much effect that can have after an injury has effectively healed.

:)

gabrielle260

Biceps Tenodesis surgery...

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:01 am

[quote="moosterbounce"]So far so good with no sign of avascular necrosis at this stage - YAY! Still haven't been given permission to ride on the road as I don't yet have the strength. It's been just over 5 months since I stacked it and am not quite back to working full time again. It's hard to keep up the physio exercises at home from a time, pain, and interest perspective. The biggie for me now is muscle wastage and re-engagement. I think people underestimate how much effect that can have after an injury has effectively healed.
[\quote] Sorry for the selective editing Moost, but just want to highlight what a tough one you continue to deal with!
Keep at it though - you have made so much progress since this thread started.
Arthurdog - well done, keep up the theraband exercises, it gets better when you can use weights!
I'm back on the bike but am embarrassingly slow. I started at 25km and have built up to 50 km rides. After the second ride of about 30kms I said to my wife that I'd done 200's that have hurt less!! Of course hurt is relative - after each time on the bike I come back on a high- better than drugs!
Shoulder is weak but improving- I am trying to use it more than the good shoulder to keep it strengthening. My main issue is the back - I don't think it would take much for another prolapsed disc to happen.
Anyway, keep posting guys.... Always good to compare notes,
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:43 am

Sooooooooo...next week is 6 months since my shoulder remodelling exercise. I have just been given the OK to try riding outside!! Woot!! So I managed 15kms on Saturday. It was slow and I was nervous, but the shoulder help up - muscles tired quickly and my shoulder stiffened up really quickly being in the same position, but it's a start and I can build on it.

Still continuing with my physio at very slowly increasing weights, and have a few more exercises now for my back muscles. For those in the know, my subscap is causing the most grief at the moment and although massage does help, I'm not sure the 10 minutes of excrutiating pain and 4 days of bruising each week is worth it!! Hopefully this will improve soon.

For now, onwards and upwards :)

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:27 am

Hey guys - sounds like you are both moving along. I am at 15 weeks since my second surgery and things are looking okay. Physio started me on small weights last week and I actually rode 140km on Saturday. The weights have been very hard - pulled up sore as anything for days !
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:46 am

thearthurdog wrote:Hey guys - sounds like you are both moving along. I am at 15 weeks since my second surgery and things are looking okay. Physio started me on small weights last week and I actually rode 140km on Saturday. The weights have been very hard - pulled up sore as anything for days !
Well done! I'm impressed with the 140km!
I did 101 km yesterday and had to have an afternoon nap! 6 months ago I was 3kph faster and wouldn't really notice a 100km ride. I'm a bit naughty with the weights - I need to do more.
How are you doing, Moost?

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:56 am

Nice ! Surely there is a team time trial somewhere that we can enter :)
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Don't get me in a TTT. With 15km (AT) 19kmh under my (extended) belt, it will be a short, slow race!!

I'm getting pretty good with the weights - some nights I use 5kg for my arm curls!! Look at me go!! It's tedious and bloody painful , but I do recommend sticking to the weights.Just be aware if any parts continue to hurt...My physio pinpointed the subscap issue based on me always hurting in one particular spot as I did my exercises. I have new respect for the mechanics of the shoulder and associated muscles and tendons. I'll never take them for granted again.

I was reading Sally Pearson's description of her wrist injury and she described it as her "bone explosion". I'm gonna steal that one :)

In all seriousness, I saw my GP today - just needed a new prescription, but he gave me the once. He reckons when he saw my name on the list he pictured where he thought I'd be with my recovery and was delighted when he saw me as I was further advanced than he had expected :D He did check where my eyebrow was and had to explain where the nerve runs in relation to where my sunglasses smacked me...and told me again that I had smacked right on the nerve and that I wouldn't notice it hurting if I stopped poking it!! What can I say? I'm a poker!!

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:46 am

I must confess, I am a bit of a 'physio's pet' - if he told me to stand on my head while eating a vegemite sandwich, three times a day, I would probably do it. As such, I reckon I am getting more improvement now that I am using weights, compared to anything else I have been doing.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:51 am

thearthurdog wrote:I must confess, I am a bit of a 'physio's pet' - if he told me to stand on my head while eating a vegemite sandwich, three times a day, I would probably do it. As such, I reckon I am getting more improvement now that I am using weights, compared to anything else I have been doing.
I'd pay to see this! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km