Nonaddictive savoury biscuits recommendations

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Nonaddictive savoury biscuits recommendations

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:38 am

Trying out savoury biscuits at the moment as an alternative to high sugar products. I'm looking for biscuits that are low in sugar but also non addictive. Found the Arnott's Salada to be a bit addictive even though it has very minimal sugar.

foo on patrol

Re: Nonaddictive savoury biscuits recommendations

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:40 am

Don't know how you can say that they are addictive, must be something wrong with your eating habits! :? :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 am

zill, specific foods are not addictive. It's what's going on with your mind, emotions, and lifestyle that creates unbalanced cravings, binges even.
Repeating myself, but seek to ease your 'addictions' via the following.
- turn your mind off regularly. having your head in a computer for hours a day, especially your recreational time, can fuel a type of cognitive stress that can lead to cravings for starch. It's actually a craving for serotonin neurotransmitter precursors.
- accompanying this is going to bed early....and arising early with intent, a planned day. This also helps avoid spending excessive time on a computer or wasting time on trivialities
- be conscious of your water intake.
- aim to eat 7-10 cups of vege or salad every day. If you are not filling yourself on this stuff, you'll be replacing it with higher Calorie less nutritious food, like processed starchy biscuits. Some people find it helps to overcome starch cravings by going off starch 90-100% for a week or two. But calming the mind is also important. Remember starch cravings often come after being in your head way too long.
- finally, depression and loneliness also create starch cravings....desire for serotonin precursors again.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:40 am

Great response above CK :D , as for non-addictive savoury biscuits that are not full of MSG, high salt & too many other additives the best I've found are Ryvita multi grain. Problem is they're so bland you tend to want to put something on them which is where the trouble starts. Another totally bland non-addictive biscuit is "Eat Rite" rice crackers, but again you tend to go for some sort of dip or spread to off-set the blandness.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:39 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Great response above CK :D , as for non-addictive savoury biscuits that are not full of MSG, high salt & too many other additives the best I've found are Ryvita multi grain. Problem is they're so bland you tend to want to put something on them which is where the trouble starts. Another totally bland non-addictive biscuit is "Eat Rite" rice crackers, but again you tend to go for some sort of dip or spread to off-set the blandness.

Can imagine :shock: Looks like close to eating cardboard! But maybe just the thing I need!

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:43 pm

CKinnard wrote:zill, specific foods are not addictive. It's what's going on with your mind, emotions, and lifestyle that creates unbalanced cravings, binges even.
Repeating myself, but seek to ease your 'addictions' via the following.
- turn your mind off regularly. having your head in a computer for hours a day, especially your recreational time, can fuel a type of cognitive stress that can lead to cravings for starch. It's actually a craving for serotonin neurotransmitter precursors.
- accompanying this is going to bed early....and arising early with intent, a planned day. This also helps avoid spending excessive time on a computer or wasting time on trivialities
- be conscious of your water intake.
- aim to eat 7-10 cups of vege or salad every day. If you are not filling yourself on this stuff, you'll be replacing it with higher Calorie less nutritious food, like processed starchy biscuits. Some people find it helps to overcome starch cravings by going off starch 90-100% for a week or two. But calming the mind is also important. Remember starch cravings often come after being in your head way too long.
- finally, depression and loneliness also create starch cravings....desire for serotonin precursors again.
All seem very true. The thing is I have a high pressured (on the brain/ mind) job and which may explain a lot of the bad things you explained.

I've increased by vegetable consumption recently and it certainly is good food!

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Great response above CK :D , as for non-addictive savoury biscuits that are not full of MSG, high salt & too many other additives the best I've found are Ryvita multi grain. Problem is they're so bland you tend to want to put something on them which is where the trouble starts. Another totally bland non-addictive biscuit is "Eat Rite" rice crackers, but again you tend to go for some sort of dip or spread to off-set the blandness.
The Ryvita tastes alright actually. Probably just right - not too tasty yet eatable, filling and low calories.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:59 pm

zill wrote: All seem very true. The thing is I have a high pressured (on the brain/ mind) job and which may explain a lot of the bad things you explained.

I've increased by vegetable consumption recently and it certainly is good food!
I often find a craving for "crunch" associated with cognitive effort. Pavlovian or not, I don't know.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Products such as savory biscuits have been designed to taste really good while you eating them and have the satisfaction disappear quickly resulting in you eating more. Can't stop eating a packet of chips until they are all gone?

They made up a batch with no salt for a researcher who loved their savoury biscuits and they were almost inedible.

Find a non manufactured item to act as a transition away from what you are trying to escape, for example fruit
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

JPB

Postby JPB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Dry wheatbix ? I like them with Vegemite. Or is that just too far left field.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Zill, my main starch when I'm trying to get weight off is potato and pita bread.

For snacks for a few days, you could microwave/steam a half a dozen potatoes. They should keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
They are pretty yummy with a little peanut paste, or cottage cheese and paprika.

Otherwise, pita bread can be kept lower Calorie by putting on tomato slices...or you can make your own hummus from chick peas, garlic, lemon juice. Tip : store the pita bread in the freezer. It'll stay fresher longer. I can buy a bag of 5 large pockets for $2 in Brisbane.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 pm

CKinnard wrote:Zill, my main starch when I'm trying to get weight off is potato and pita bread.

For snacks for a few days, you could microwave/steam a half a dozen potatoes. They should keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
They are pretty yummy with a little peanut paste, or cottage cheese and paprika.

Otherwise, pita bread can be kept lower Calorie by putting on tomato slices...or you can make your own hummus from chick peas, garlic, lemon juice. Tip : store the pita bread in the freezer. It'll stay fresher longer. I can buy a bag of 5 large pockets for $2 in Brisbane.
Love pita bread. Have them everyday for breakfast with either salmon or meat plus veges. Sometimes for lunch as well.

Got Ryvita Multigrain as suggested by ZepinAtor and it is great so far - filling, smells good but definitely wouldn't want to binge on them!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:51 pm

zill wrote:
CKinnard wrote:Zill, my main starch when I'm trying to get weight off is potato and pita bread.

Love pita bread. Have them everyday for breakfast with either salmon or meat plus veges. Sometimes for lunch as well.

Got Ryvita Multigrain as suggested by ZepinAtor and it is great so far - filling, smells good but definitely wouldn't want to binge on them!
ryvita, vita-weat, rice cakes are all ok. they just don't fill you up and it is easy to over eat them. always a good idea to put on a low Cal topping.
keep in mind they are essentially pure carbohydrate so 4 Calories per gram! I find a piece of fruit and half liter of water more sating as a snack, especially before afternoon training.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 pm

CKinnard wrote:
zill wrote:

ryvita, vita-weat, rice cakes are all ok. they just don't fill you up and it is easy to over eat them. always a good idea to put on a low Cal topping.
keep in mind they are essentially pure carbohydrate so 4 Calories per gram! I find a piece of fruit and half liter of water more sating as a snack, especially before afternoon training.
Haven't used any toppings so far. Most i've had so far at one time is 2 biscuits totaling 12g which has as much calories as a small apple. The great thing about the biscuits is that they are not sweet. I was having about 10 pieces of apples and bananas a day before. Way too much. Didn't lose the sweet tooth. May have more hope now.

Will give potatoes a go in the future.

dainese

Postby dainese » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:41 pm

The vita-wheat thin rice crackers are nice.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:42 am

Make it sweet potatoes, Zill. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:28 am

foo on patrol wrote:Make it sweet potatoes, Zill. :idea:

Foo
Surely potatoes over sweet potatoes? Why have the extra sugar?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 am

Sweet potato is healthier and has more antioxidants in them. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:05 am

and leave the skin on!

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:59 am

Zill, you sound like an "emotional eater" with this talk of food addiction. Maybe you would benefit from seeing a behavioural psychologist (I'm being serious here, not trying to take the piss).

No food, no matter how low calorie is going to be healthy if you consume too much of it.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:37 pm

zill wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Make it sweet potatoes, Zill. :idea:

Foo
Surely potatoes over sweet potatoes? Why have the extra sugar?
I second sweet potato. You should not be afraid of sugar in plant foods like sweet potato. Carrots are "full of sugar" and carrots are really good for you! Also, baked or steamed sweet potato cold from the fridge is awesome! and is rich in resistant starch. These are things you want if you are watching your nutrition.

There is something very, very wrong when someone thinks that sweet potatoes are not healthy a nutritious food because they are "high in sugar". That reminds me of this:
And it reminded me of my now-infamous Carrot Confrontation. I was participating in a discussion on a message board when someone asked what I eat in a typical day. I replied with a list of things I had eaten that morning – chicken, radishes, egg whites, spinach, olives… and carrots. I mentioned I had eaten almost an entire bag of baby carrots. At which point, another poster responded, “You should be careful about eating so many carrots. Carrots are pretty high in sugar.”
Because the day you tell me that CARROTS AREN’T THAT GOOD FOR ME is the day I give you the finger. Maybe even both. Which brings me to the following rant – get off the Carrot Train to Crazytown and think about it for just a brief moment. I’ll start you off. They’re CARROTS, people.
http://whole9life.com/2012/08/carrot-tr ... crazytown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

kb

Postby kb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Although, they can make you orange :-)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

no doubt sweet potato has higher nutrient density. especially those purple sweet potatoes. Anything purple in the vege kingdom is usually superior in anti-oxidants and anti-inflamms.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:59 pm

CKinnard wrote:no doubt sweet potato has higher nutrient density. especially those purple sweet potatoes. Anything purple in the vege kingdom is usually superior in anti-oxidants and anti-inflamms.
But most important... delicious! :D
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:59 pm

sweet potatoes are truly great. Tastes good, nutritional and fills you up at the same time. Can't ask for me. Will definitely be a regular snack food of mine.