Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
RhapsodyX

Re: Diet Thread

Postby RhapsodyX » Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Ketogenic diet, gut bacteria & the protective effects. Mouse model, but in this case it probably exposes the same mechanism in humans.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote: However the question isn't about taste. But what about other options? fruit comes to mind
Fair point Mike. I guess that is the question that has led me from toast to potatoes. Fruit is good for vitamins and I do get the pineapple-slice and at least half a tomato every morning, so vitamins are not the main requisite of the evening 'snack' which is actually the other meal of the day, between breakfasts.

Fried rice goes very well with fried fruit! Next month, I'll work on the rice and see what cheap and readily-available fruits might suit the foundations for a standard dinner for the vegetarian on a budget. You fellows have inspired me just when I was running out of answers. Many thanks!
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Occasionally I've mixed in fruit with cooked vegetables and in salads. I think fruit could work well in your vegetarian fried rice. Please share if you find a mix for your fried rice that is up there :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Popper's opinion on vegan keto diets. Starts at 01:37, ends at 03:50.
https://youtu.be/FzdyjvAbOr0?t=1m37s

Which reminds me of this 2014 "Eco-Atkins" diet study, which had good results for the low carb diet. However I learnt recently that while the low-carb diet was vegan, the control or higher carb diet was only a vegetarian diet. So not an even playing field comparison.
The control, high-carbohydrate lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (58% carbohydrate, 16% protein and 25% fat) emphasised whole wheat cereals and cereal fibre, as well as low-fat or skim milk dairy products and liquid egg substitute to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol intakes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918974/

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 am

Nobody wrote:Popper's opinion on vegan keto diets. Starts at 01:37, ends at 03:50.
https://youtu.be/FzdyjvAbOr0?t=1m37s

Which reminds me of this 2014 "Eco-Atkins" diet study, which had good results for the low carb diet. However I learnt recently that while the low-carb diet was vegan, the control or higher carb diet was only a vegetarian diet. So not an even playing field comparison.
The control, high-carbohydrate lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (58% carbohydrate, 16% protein and 25% fat) emphasised whole wheat cereals and cereal fibre, as well as low-fat or skim milk dairy products and liquid egg substitute to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol intakes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918974/
Just pointing out - that's "lower carb" , not even close to a VLCKD.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 am

From SMH:
The Dietary Obesity Prevention Score (DOPS) is based on 14 food groups previously shown to boost or reduce obesity risk, adjusted for energy intake. Eating vegetables, fruits, legumes, yoghurt, nuts, fish and a high vegetable to animal protein ratio increases the score.
Conversely, consuming red meat, processed meat, refined grains, ultra-processed food, sugary drinks, beer and spirits reduces the score, which ranges from 14 to 42.
I'd delete the yoghurt and fish, while limiting the legumes and nuts from the "increasing the score" list for maximum benefit.
Gómez-Donoso believes this is the first obesity prevention tool that focuses on food groups. “This might help doctors to quickly and easily identify dietary risks and provide preventative counselling" she says, adding, “From a behavioural perspective, food-based dietary advice is simpler to implement.”
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 4zhz0.html

What I find odd about this is they are talking like they've developed something new. Getting it successfully applied to common GP use would be the only aspect that I can see as new. That would be a step in the right direction . But even if it is applied, I've got serious doubts that it will make a big difference. Although knowledge of specifics of ideal eating patterns are generally poor, while the illusion of knowledge is pervasive, I still think most people already have an idea of what food groups are most likely to be a problem. But a combination of the following list will often mean that GP's ability to change behaviour will be limited:
- Societal norms and peer pressure.
- Food addictions which confound logical thought.
- Long term eating patterns and habits which are hard to break.
- Poor prioritisation and/or laziness when it comes to home food preparation.
- A live for now attitude.

As CK has said, unless individuals are willing and committed to significantly change their lifestyle, little will change. "The horse has bolted" so to speak.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Nobody wrote: I'd delete the yoghurt and fish, while limiting the legumes and nuts from the "increasing the score" list for maximum benefit.
Stunning that the Australian establishment, which praises itself as the most multicultural friendly in the world, is so up itself sideways, that it recommends dairy, for which 2/3s of ADULTS worldwide have intolerances, and some non Causasian races well represented in Australia have 100% intolerance.

https://milk.procon.org/view.resource.p ... eID=000661

"food based dietary advice...." keh? what's the other dietary advice?

I am in the middle of writing a small booklet for my patients - it will be ~12 factoids relating nutrition/diet/obesity and musculoskeletal pain/disabilty.
A recent patient, more informed and motivated than most, revealed to me how potent this connection is.
He came in with three weeks of tennis elbow, which on average goes chronic, well over 6 mths.
In exploring changes to his lifestyle in the preceding weeks to its onset, I asked about his hydration and nutrition.
That was his big ah ha moment. He had got slack at home about 2-3 mths before onset, and been eating frozen meals and little vege.
He immediately went back to healthy eating, and a week later came back in with only very mild pain.
It was a profound lesson to him on this connection, and strong motivation to pull his nutritional socks up!

I am on holidays this week, just back from Binna Burra. Am currently sitting in the food court of the local mall. As I scan around, at least 2/3s of people are very overweight or obese, and their food choices tell the whole story. I was thinking of getting my smart phone out to walk around with it on movie mode, scanning people's body size and the food they are gobbing....and then sending it to the AMA!

What am I eating here? nothing. will be going home for lunch. I had a coffee a few hours ago.
Though when I eat here it is subway or an occasional sushi roll.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:29 pm

CKinnard wrote:...It was a profound lesson to him on this connection, and strong motivation to pull his nutritional socks up!
Too bad most others don't get that kind of analytical thinking going and make the dietary connection. Nice that you are trying to put something on paper for your patients to mull over.
As usual I've got the eczema returned for winter. Previously I've tried to isolate what foods affect it most. On top of that this year I'm looking at over-eating at single meals as a strange, but possible cause. Although I'm losing weight, it appears to be clearing up so far. Time will tell if this is another dead end.
CKinnard wrote:...As I scan around, at least 2/3s of people are very overweight or obese, and their food choices tell the whole story. I was thinking of getting my smart phone out to walk around with it on movie mode, scanning people's body size and the food they are gobbing....and then sending it to the AMA!
Probably nothing they don't already know. The cynic in me doesn't think that they'd be in a hurry to fix the problem, due to be being financial beneficiaries.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Nobody wrote: Probably nothing they don't already know. The cynic in me doesn't think that they'd be in a hurry to fix the problem, due to be being financial beneficiaries.
Knowing something is less than half the problem solved....the will is always the rest.
What is interesting about the mall is the herd effect....when a big group of people are all eating rich unhealthy fast food meals, it seems to send a strong permissive signal to others weak on their own values to do the same. This seems to work more powerfully than negative social reinforcement.

It would be interesting to do one of those crowd videos in which people all around you have secretly colluded to behave in a certain way.
in this case, to eat healthier choices. i.e. if the food court was filled with actors all of healthy weight, and eating healthy foods.....and then to see what effect this had on the public not in on the ruse. I suppose within a short time, the unhealthy eaters would outnumber the healthy. :|

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 pm

CKinnard wrote:<snip>

It would be interesting to do one of those crowd videos in which people all around you have secretly colluded to behave in a certain way.
in this case, to eat healthier choices. i.e. if the food court was filled with actors all of healthy weight, and eating healthy foods.....and then to see what effect this had on the public not in on the ruse. I suppose within a short time, the unhealthy eaters would outnumber the healthy. :|
Some would have to bring their own food, there wouldn't be enough healthy food avail if everyone suddenly brought it

I suspect that if all the peers were eating healthy then the subjects would possibly into 3 categories;
1. Don't care and eat what they eat normally
2. Modify their eating habits to partially align with the healthy eaters
3. Won't eat unhealthy in front of the healthy eaters, eats the unhealthy food somewhere else where the healthy eaters don't observe

Peer influence happens the other way, for example the healthy eater meets the unhealthy eater for a coffee. The unhealthy eater orders the coffee and cake special with the coffee being a cappuccino. The healthy eater elects to have a slice of cake with their lemon black tea

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Peer influence happens the other way, for example the healthy eater meets the unhealthy eater for a coffee. The unhealthy eater orders the coffee and cake special with the coffee being a cappuccino. The healthy eater elects to have a slice of cake with their lemon black tea
yeah Peer influence does seem to always be downwards....which reinforces the message to have strong clear values and appropriate habits.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 am

mikesbytes wrote:The healthy eater elects to have a slice of cake with their lemon black tea
Not everyone is spineless. You won't find me being influenced to other peoples' agendas when it comes to diet. I don't make friends, but I'm true to my path.

Surprised to find this in on news.com.au.
“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification (of ocean water), eutrophication (the build up of nutrients in water bodies which destroys wildlife), land use and water use,” Oxford University researcher Joseph Poore told The Guardian today.
Going vegan is the ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Everywhere I've seen this story commented upon it's been rebuked by the argument that not having kids is better. Perfection is the enemy of good I suppose.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Nobody wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:The healthy eater elects to have a slice of cake with their lemon black tea
Not everyone is spineless. You won't find me being influenced to other peoples' agendas when it comes to diet. I don't make friends, but I'm true to my path.
Agree there is no reason not to make your own decision, though I would of used a softer word than spineless. It doesn't mean that you don't make friends, I regularly have coffee with a smoker
Nobody wrote: Surprised to find this in on news.com.au.
“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification (of ocean water), eutrophication (the build up of nutrients in water bodies which destroys wildlife), land use and water use,” Oxford University researcher Joseph Poore told The Guardian today.
Going vegan is the ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth
Agree that eating plants is more efficient as there is an energy loss when plant species are eaten by other species which in turn are eaten by humans and at each consumption phase there is CO2 and other gases generated. Also the energy loss of the 2 stage consumption model means that more land area is needed per human to provide the same energy need. This is a huge topic and I've only scraped the surface.
march83 wrote:Everywhere I've seen this story commented upon it's been rebuked by the argument that not having kids is better. Perfection is the enemy of good I suppose.
Also correct, less people = less resources consumed. There is speculation that human population has already exceeded Earth's ability to provide, for example we are using fossil fuel to fertilize our crops and the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere approximates to the amount of fossil fuel we have burnt over the last 200 years.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:50 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Agree there is no reason not to make your own decision, though I would of used a softer word than spineless. It doesn't mean that you don't make friends, I regularly have coffee with a smoker.
True, sorry. :oops: Post night shift post.
What I should have said is that some people are so agreeable (can be a very personable quality) that they are in danger of losing their own identity. A dangerous trait to have if trying to keep one's diet under control in a poor-diet culture. A bit more wordy, but much nicer. :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 pm

march83 wrote:Everywhere I've seen this story commented upon it's been rebuked by the argument that not having kids is better. Perfection is the enemy of good I suppose.
Those who argue no kids is better can be rebuked by simply asking any of the following:

- how many generations do you want not to have kids? like what's the end goal? no humans on the planet?

- why is leaving the world in the hands of the children of the less environmentally conscious better for the planet?

- how do you know you are not going to have a kid that invents a new clean power technology, or inspires 5 billion people to go vegan?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm

The below article is about the doco "The Magic Pill", the AMA and Paleo Pete. Some may find the article interesting. The basic story revolves around this statement:
But the AMA has called on Netflix to pull the doco, narrated and produced by the celeb chef and My Kitchen Rules judge, saying the “risk of misinformation is too great”.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... fcbe260eb3

I take issue with some things said in the article:
AMA president, Dr Bartone wrote:...However, when it comes to the trusted health of our patients, everyone should turn to a health professional. That is, in the first instance, your GP.
I don't think that asking someone who has done little training in diet to give dietary advice is a good idea. Maybe they are supposed to refer you to a dietitian. But even then, what is the dietitian going to teach? Not skip any food groups for instance?
Looks like the answer is yes.
Dr Bartone said while cutting out one or more food groups could result in weight loss it can “make certain other conditions worse”.
Not for a WFPB diet if you supplement correctly. But current health professionals have been taught to promote this line of reasoning. I wonder if it was the dairy industry that originally taught that. Why is dairy a separate food group? Hmm.
Pete Evans wrote:“Does the head of the AMA believe that eating vegetables and fruit with a side of well sourced meat/seafood/eggs to be a dangerous way of life?...
Other than avocado, I don't know how fruit generally is going to fit into a keto (< 50 g of carbs per day) diet. Starchy veg wouldn't be significant either. I eat plenty of fruit and veg, but I'm getting over 500 g/d of carbs. And yes, even well sourced animal products are inflammatory and are a "dangerous way of life". Cancer, TMAO/atherosclerosis, auto-immune diseases...

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:14 pm

You can eat a decent amount of berries in a keto diet.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 pm

march83 wrote:You can eat a decent amount of berries in a keto diet.
What kind? Sounds expensive.

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Blueberries for example are 9g carbs per 100g and next to no protein or fat. Note that I said "decent amount", not "significant" or "large" amount.

When I used to do the keto thing I would eat 50g in a sitting with a few other bits and pieces for dessert (full fat yoghurts, etc) which would total up to no more 20g of carbs and I had no issue fitting that into my diet without messing up my ketosis.

Frozen berries are not so expensive - 500g for i think $6 at aldi? If that lasts 10 serves then it's ok, especially considered that so many other nutrient rich, high fat and low carb foods that you need to eat on a keto diet are much more expensive.

FWIW, i never measured ketone bodies with strips or pee tests or anything like that, but after a little while of ketosis it's glaringly obvious when you accidentally knock yourself out of it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:49 pm

OK, thanks.

From memory blueberries at Aldi are $3.60 for 500g frozen. $7.20 / kg isn't too bad considering you can consume the total amount, unlike bananas, apples etc.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Re carbs, an average cup of vegetables contains 25-30 Calories and 2.5g CHO.... so unlikely a LCHFer would break 50g CHO on vege.

As a clinician, I am a bit more tolerant of Pete Evans. I see too many people who would readily do his diet (and succeed), and not seriously consider WFPB until they are chronically ill. The way I look at it, Paleo Pete helps a lot of people purely because Calorie intake drops, weight is lost, and lots of vege are consumed compared to before. Sure the diet won't rid as much disease as WFPB, but it will still reduce a lot of chronic disease.

I've had some interesting clients today - two very sad cases, a teenager and young Mum in her 20s. The teen is likely to have a neurodegenerative genetic disease (unconfirmed) that will see her live only another 10-15 years, and slip into dementia and physical disability in that time. The young Mum has a very bad inflammatory arthritis that hasn't been nailed by the many doctors and investigations she has endured.
I had another couple of cases of tennis elbow today. Both confirmed to me this condition is very sensitive to diet and psychoemotional stress.

So smash the vege gents! Enough cr4p can happen even when you do everything right!

Brendo09

Postby Brendo09 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am

I've just read through a lot of these posts for the first time.

I'll be honest, the 'general' information in them isn't something that I haven't heard before. But I'm as stubborn as the next guy, and I find it hard to give up things that are enjoyable.

However, it's also become increasingly apparent that unless I make a change, nothing will change. I'm reading up on the Blue Zones, and Whole Foods Plant Based diets. I'm going to benefit, and as the primary food maker in the house, my family will benefit as well.

I have religious leanings that head towards these type of diets as well, however that's another story for another day.

I appreciate the effort people have put into the information provided on here. Please forgive me if I start asking what appear to be very basic questions. It's a lot to take in as a whole, and there's a lot of life habits that need reshaping.

Now, on to read some more articles... :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Brendo09 wrote: I'll be honest, the 'general' information in them isn't something that I haven't heard before. But I'm as stubborn as the next guy, and I find it hard to give up things that are enjoyable.
Welcome Brendo. This is a thread to talk diet and nutrition, very preferably rooted in the scientific literature.
There's so much misinformation and mis-weighting of what's important in the mainstream media, and even in professional circles.
Hopefully the back and forth here helps readers gain clarity as to what the science supports re diet for optimal health.

And yes we all struggle to stick to an optimally healthy diet (apart from Nobody who has it wired imo).
I've been studying nutrition for 40 years, and life stressors can still throw my appetite for 6.
Nevertheless, I've experienced being owned by alcohol, salt, cake, biscuits, crisps, bread, cheese, pizza, chocolate etc....and I've experienced being totally free of those cravings.

For people owned by strong unhealthy cravings, it can seem unimaginable to be totally free of them.
But it is very very possible, and a path to a much happier and healthier life.
The Buddhists talk about happiness coming from reducing desires for temporal worldly pleasures.
Moving to a less rich and stimulating diet, to a more WFPB diet is a powerful step on that path.

Though you might have read about this earlier, let me say how much happier and clear headed and productive I am this year after losing the craving for alcohol, and vowing off it for the whole of 2018. I NEEDED to have 2-4 glasses of wine pretty much every night from September to December last year. After kicking the year off with a 7 day water fast, the cravings evaporated, totally gone. Alcohol is just not in my consciousness.

I've personally experienced and seen many people move to a simple diet, and lose on average 1kg a week, week after week, month after month. My latest example is a well to do 60 something woman in the USA. She's lost over 50kg in just under 1 year. She worked hard all her life and was obese from her late 20s.The happiness and self control she is feeling from being free of cravings, and losing weight is personally and medically profound.

I commend you for wanting to bring yourself and family into healthy eating. Kids CAN be freed from undesired cravings, and brought around to preferring and enjoying a simpler diet. A calm and secure and harmonious home environment help that enormously though.

So often, appetite is pushed around by tumultuous emotions and lack of healthy routine.
If you are looking at optimizing diet, it's a great time to look at optimizing home life overall, and every family member's long and short term goals, and sources of self esteem! Power to you!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 pm

CKinnard wrote:As a clinician, I am a bit more tolerant of Pete Evans. I see too many people who would readily do his diet (and succeed), and not seriously consider WFPB until they are chronically ill. The way I look at it, Paleo Pete helps a lot of people purely because Calorie intake drops, weight is lost, and lots of vege are consumed compared to before. Sure the diet won't rid as much disease as WFPB, but it will still reduce a lot of chronic disease.
Most diets are better than what the average person is eating currently. He gets it half right with the replacement of the processed with fruit & veg. But he's still misleading many into eating a diet which isn't the whole solution. That could harm those genetically susceptible in the long run. Like you said, many more will try it that WFPB. They'll likely have some success and then take on all he says with little questioning. To me they are more people lost to becoming WFPB and they will lead even more astray. He appears to be a true believer in paleo, despite all the criticism. So his confirmation bias must be strong.

So I agree that he will benefit people over the short term. But some may not thank him in the long run and they won't know about WFPB because they stopped looking.
CKinnard wrote:So smash the vege gents!...

Yep. Totally agree. I ate bout 24 serves, or 1.8 kg of veg today. I'm trying to replace some fruit with more starchy veg. It may put on some weight for me. But I need that at the moment. A BMI in the 20s is more comfortable in summer than winter for me.
CKinnard wrote:...Enough cr4p can happen even when you do everything right!
I think we're both examples of that.
Brendo09 wrote:However, it's also become increasingly apparent that unless I make a change, nothing will change.
Welcome to this lifestyle. :)
Yes, unless you change, nothing will change for the better. But also typically, in time plenty will change for the worse. The most common being increase in body weight and needing to go on meds for something. I would've been on meds for high cholesterol by now. But as you've probably read, it's gone from 6.5 to 3.4 with no meds.
Brendo09 wrote:I'm reading up on the Blue Zones, and Whole Foods Plant Based diets. I'm going to benefit, and as the primary food maker in the house, my family will benefit as well.
The most noticeable change besides the weight loss was how calm this diet made me feel. Since both you and the people you deal with in the household should eventually be calmer, it should contribute to peace.
Brendo09 wrote:I appreciate the effort people have put into the information provided on here. Please forgive me if I start asking what appear to be very basic questions. It's a lot to take in as a whole, and there's a lot of life habits that need reshaping.
No problem. We're usually happy to help.
CKinnard wrote:And yes we all struggle to stick to an optimally healthy diet (apart from Nobody who has it wired imo).
But I have the advantage of my personality being suited to this in many ways.