What to eat when out riding "all day"

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: What to eat when out riding "all day"

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:11 pm

You don't need to stop for lunch, if you're only doing 120klms. Take a couple of bananas along with the other things that have been spoken about. :wink:

I'm 57 and did 128klm ride and only had two packets of Granola Bars, two tubes of custard and two biddons. One with water and one with two Endura tablets in and that was ample. I'm also 104kg and hadn't ridden that distance in over 30yrs + 1100 mtrs of climbing! :)

You should be fueling up and hydrating the day before any big rides! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:58 pm

zill wrote:
rusty842 wrote:Can we move back onto topic. I did my first largish ride of around 120kms today which was really windy. As it was soo windy I only managed 27kmh.

This is what I ate.
Woke up at 6.40
Medium bowl of just right and milk
Mule bar 40 minutes into ride
From there I had 5 gels and one cliff bar with the cliff bar half way into the ride. I ate every 20-30 minutes

Didn't stop besides filling up water bottles. Had about 4 Nuun tablets in the bottles.

Any advice?
Did you have lunch after your ride? If so then what you did doesn't seem unusual. I was asking how you'd manage if the ride started soon after breakfast and finished just before dinner. So how would you manage to eat your lunch during the ride if at all (e.g regular food intake like what you did). For some reason I don't like to have regular food intake when riding.
Yes lunch after. Usually I would have 2 bananas along the way but we ran out at home.

I don't see the handbrake (partner) letting me out for an all day ride considering Saturday in out til 1pm with golf.

casual_cyclist

Re: What to eat when out riding

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:06 pm

zill wrote:Did you have lunch after your ride? If so then what you did doesn't seem unusual. I was asking how you'd manage if the ride started soon after breakfast and finished just before dinner. So how would you manage to eat your lunch during the ride if at all (e.g regular food intake like what you did). For some reason I don't like to have regular food intake when riding.
I have completed many rides that lasted from 4 hours to 24 hours. Typically a 200 km ride takes me more than 12 hours if it is hilly.

When I was organised, I ate porridge beforehand or just an up and go on the way. I performed better when I ate regularly so I took muesli bars, all bran loaf and rice patties and ate every half hour on the clock whether I felt hungry or not. I like to buy lunch when I am out, so eat vegetarian egg burgers and chips or cheese and salad roll and chips. I don't like gels personally and prefer to eat real (non sugary) food. All bran loaf is probably the king of endurance fuel. Dried fruit, all bran, sugar, milk, wholemeal flour. No eggs, so it doesn't go off and vegans can replace the milk with soy, rice milk or any non-dairy milk. The great thing about it is there is fast energy (sugar), medium energy (dried fruit, flour) and slow energy (all bran). It's great! I could eat it all day. Here is the recipe but I just use dried fruit, not fruit and nuts.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/12409/b ... -loaf.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:49 pm

did 102k today. food intake...
pre ride ... nothing
30km ... 2 small flat whites
50k ... brunch 2 poached eggs, 60g bacon, steamed kale, all on 1 piece ciabatta, pot of chai tea
85k ... vegemite sandwich
total water ...about 4x 650ml bottles

the ride had no climbs. the first 30km were at pace (many sustained 40+kph efforts) and at the 60km mark, I did a 15km interval averaging 36.xx energy expenditure excl. BMR ~2000 Calories.

energy intake est 750 Calories.

but I'm feeling kind of peckish.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:34 pm

140klm yesterday

4.30am double shot coffee with no milk and a single piece of low gluten bread with honey both prepared the night before (coffee machine is too loud in the morning). Departed 4.40

5.25am Banana

6am bread but with jam (yum, 1st time for that one and will do again) with a small cafe bought coffee

7.30am muffin with another coffee (was riding past home and met the Wifeee and kids at the local coffee so how could I resist!!) and a muesli bar

9am another bread and honey treat and a gel

Drank one bottle of water before departure and six on the journey and 2 of those were Endura.

Was not fangin when I got home (plate of eggs on toast...ok a little bacon as well [emoji12]) and a choccy milk.

Felt good for the rest of the day which, by eating regularly and enough, I was well enough to go for a fam drive, and a nice bush walk through a local rainforest.

Did sleep well last night!

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 pm

CKinnard wrote:did 102k today. food intake...
pre ride ... nothing
30km ... 2 small flat whites
50k ... brunch 2 poached eggs, 60g bacon, steamed kale, all on 1 piece ciabatta, pot of chai tea
85k ... vegemite sandwich
total water ...about 4x 650ml bottles

the ride had no climbs. the first 30km were at pace (many sustained 40+kph efforts) and at the 60km mark, I did a 15km interval averaging 36.xx energy expenditure excl. BMR ~2000 Calories.

energy intake est 750 Calories.

but I'm feeling kind of peckish.
Nice, sounds like what I'd bring to a picnic! How did you carry all of that?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 pm

An you guys sound like you're loading the gels even on sub 150km rides.

Gel is a last resort for me. Food first!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

zill

Postby zill » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 am

Calvin27 wrote:An you guys sound like you're loading the gels even on sub 150km rides.

Gel is a last resort for me. Food first!
The thing is gels are easy to digest. I really dislike riding with solid food in my stomach soon after eating. Hence the reason why I like to eat lots at least 2 hours before the ride then eat minimally (only if hungry) during the ride. However, for longer rides this is not possible.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 am

zill wrote:Nice, sounds like what I'd bring to a picnic! How did you carry all of that?
I like to mix spirited riding and pleasure! There's no rule saying a ride has to be 100% this, or that! :)
The coffee was at a nice bayside cafe with the Weekend Australian newspaper.
The brunch was at a creative pure foods suburban cafe.
The vege sandwich was at a pokey little shop run by a very sweet Vietnamese couple I am friends with!

The important point is that my total energy expenditure for the day was around 3500 Cals.
My energy intake prior to dinner was less than 800 Calories.
Dinner ended up being no more than 350 Calories.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:17 am

zill wrote:The thing is gels are easy to digest. I really dislike riding with solid food in my stomach soon after eating. Hence the reason why I like to eat lots at least 2 hours before the ride then eat minimally (only if hungry) during the ride. However, for longer rides this is not possible.
I find I still feel empty although energy levels are up after a gel. Do you just eat some bread or something to fill it up? If I have too much fluids and no solids I find this makes my stomach swishy.

Each to their own but it's so bad sometimes it feels like I'm doing it wrong.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I did an extended "Around The Bay In A Day" ride several years ago, a total of 320km (up from the standard 210km for the official part of the ride). My feed for the day was:

Breakfast comprising 3 slices of toast (can't remember what I had on them exactly, but probably honey, peanut butter and whatever fruit jam I had at the time) and a mug of coffee.
Lunch supplied by ride organisres, I think a chicken & salad wrap, a muffin & bottle of fruit juice (about 165km mark)
A small tub of pasta handed out at the event HQ at the official finish (I still had 55km to ride home!)
Interspersed for the rest of the day I had bars & gels sufficient for one of either per hour, allowing for up to 14 hours of riding time. I like to mix both, just so there's some solid fuel going in too, so I'll alternate each hour a bar or a gel.

In my bottles (four carried on board) I had an electrolyte mix. In my pockets I had ziplock bags of electro powder measured for a bottle's worth in each one, and I had family meet me at a designated point with en esky full of cold water for refilling. :-)

My riding time for the day was a whisker under 11 hours, but factoring in the ferry, a bit of pre-official start & post-finish noodling, and the bottle stop total door-to-door time was about 14 hours.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:25 pm

zill wrote:The thing is gels are easy to digest. I really dislike riding with solid food in my stomach soon after eating. Hence the reason why I like to eat lots at least 2 hours before the ride then eat minimally (only if hungry) during the ride. However, for longer rides this is not possible.
When I used to regularly ride 200 km and 300 km rides, I found that what I ate the days before made as much difference as on the day. If I was riding on Saturday, I started carb loading on Thursday and smashed the carbs on Friday. It made a huge difference to me.
<removed by request>