What to eat when out riding "all day"

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Aussiebullet

Re: What to eat when out riding "all day"

Postby Aussiebullet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Dude, I struggle to see even if you loaded up on food how you could eat 16000kJ in a day! Unless you have a crapload of sugars.
Slightly off topic but 16000kj is not that much it's only ~3800cal and is my normal intake for any given day, some days it will nudge slightly over 5000cal which is ~22000kj yesterday was 4700cal. And I'm hovering anround 68kg

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

16000Kj = about 8 big macs and the energy 'burned' does not include base metabolism - so maybe 10-15 big macs depending on base metabolic rate.

It''s not impossible to consume in a day I admit - I've probably done 20,000kJ in a day on more occasions than I care to admit. But I don't think I'd be able to consume that much on a ride out unless you overeat or kept loading the sugar hits for the whole day. Either way you'd end up feeling pretty sick.

I guess the point is having that cheeky caramel slice is not the end of the world if you're clocking a whole day ride. I'm a big fan of bonk riding to cut the weight but no way would I even attempt that for a whole day ride!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:33 pm

On a related note, how accurate would adding the sedentary male energy needs on top of any ride.

Whilst touring I had a few days of 4-5000cal rides. On pretty much all these rides I didn't really stop for lunch as eating enough in one sitting made me very sluggish. On shorter days I was happy eating 4-5 sandwiches as I could take it easy. Dinner was the only meal i'd really cram it in regularly.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:21 pm

I did this ride recently. https://app.strava.com/activities/265673136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was aiming for 600k+ in under 24 hours but got a flat in the last 30mins or so and missed the time cut. I did it solo with no caffeine etc.

I drank about 10litres of lemonade, box cliff bars, maybe 15 gels, 500g of dates and 500g of vegan jelly babies (no gelatine aka crushed pig and horse knees). I also knocked back a few litres of water.

Got home and had a 2 hour sleep and worked a full day and went to bed normal time and got up the next day feeling strong as an ox and went for a run and got a few Strava segments for good measure.

I don't believe one can smash in junk food and stay lean just cos they do big miles. Look at that UK rider who is going for the WR most miles in a year comp. He is quite a portly lad despite doing 2 years worth of my mileage in just a few months this year. Im around 30kg leaner than him and can see my abs every morning despite never having to calorie restrict of miss a tasty high carb meal.

So for me, vegan carbs are the go, every time. The worlds leanest cultures and best runners all fueled on carb heavy diets.
Vegan since 2001.

zill

Postby zill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Dude, I struggle to see even if you loaded up on food how you could eat 16000kJ in a day! Unless you have a crapload of sugars.

Actually ate 19000 KJ for breaktfast (5000 KJ genuine food and the rest sugary junk). Burned 16000KJ on the ride not including basal metabolism. Ate minimal amounts of snacks during the ride and then a small dinner afterwards so calories pretty much balanced out on the day with even a small deficit. However, performance on the bike wasn't excellent a expected.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 pm

durianrider wrote:I did this ride recently. https://app.strava.com/activities/265673136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was aiming for 600k+ in under 24 hours but got a flat in the last 30mins or so and missed the time cut. I did it solo with no caffeine etc.

I drank about 10litres of lemonade, box cliff bars, maybe 15 gels, 500g of dates and 500g of vegan jelly babies (no gelatine aka crushed pig and horse knees). I also knocked back a few litres of water.

Got home and had a 2 hour sleep and worked a full day and went to bed normal time and got up the next day feeling strong as an ox and went for a run and got a few Strava segments for good measure.

I don't believe one can smash in junk food and stay lean just cos they do big miles. Look at that UK rider who is going for the WR most miles in a year comp. He is quite a portly lad despite doing 2 years worth of my mileage in just a few months this year. Im around 30kg leaner than him and can see my abs every morning despite never having to calorie restrict of miss a tasty high carb meal.

So for me, vegan carbs are the go, every time. The worlds leanest cultures and best runners all fueled on carb heavy diets.
Far more impressed with gentlemans egoless efforts - https://www.strava.com/activities/217703110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
durianrider wrote:I did this ride recently. https://app.strava.com/activities/265673136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was aiming for 600k+ in under 24 hours but got a flat in the last 30mins or so and missed the time cut. I did it solo with no caffeine etc.
Far more impressed with gentlemans egoless efforts - https://www.strava.com/activities/217703110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DR, go back to low brow trolling, like you did to your American opponent in January last year.
You want to wake up to yourself that your values are seriously out of step with the people you want to impress most.
You're fast on your way to end up a lonely old burned out has been...no friends....no reputation.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:21 am

CKinnard wrote:You're fast on your way to end up a lonely old burned out has been...no friends....no reputation.
You mean 'never was'. He is only a legend in his own delusional mind. :lol:
<removed by request>

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:36 am

singlespeedscott wrote:

But he loaded on caffeine and had a van following him. Mate, if I did that, I could crack 800k in 24hrs but whats the point? Anyone can have a support crew and go bonkers on stims to do a long ride. Take away the stims and support van and that exposes everything. Does that make sense?
Vegan since 2001.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:37 am

For all day riding the key is to eat small amounts frequently rather than stopping halfway for a three-course meal. Digesting large quantities of food requires the body to direct a lot of its energy and blood supply to the stomach, thus taking it away from other ares, such as your legs. The result is you feel like rubbish for a while even though you've just refuelled.

By taking in small quantities you reduce the blood flow diversion from the working muscles, so your body works much more efficiently.

You're a nut if you go on long rides (3 hours+) without adequate food supplies.

Try to minimise products with too much sugar (of any kind); although great for a quick pick-up sugars are used by the body very quickly so you'll tend to get a quick "spike" of energy, then crash off the back of it as you burn it out. Low Glycaemic Index (GI) energy from nut & grain-sourced starches is preferable because it gives a slower-burn, more progressive energy delivery. You can't completely avoid sugars, and they are still beneficial for quick energy, just ensure they're balanced with slow-burn carbs as well.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
CKinnard wrote:You're fast on your way to end up a lonely old burned out has been...no friends....no reputation.
You mean 'never was'. He is only a legend in his own delusional mind. :lol:
Oh, he's got a reputation, just not the kind he wants or thinks he has. :wink:

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am

CKinnard wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
DR, go back to low brow trolling, like you did to your American opponent in January last year.
You want to wake up to yourself that your values are seriously out of step with the people you want to impress most.
You're fast on your way to end up a lonely old burned out has been...no friends....no reputation.
Come on mate, fair go. Why so nasty? Im not living to impress the average person who just follows the status quo, Im doing my thing and sharing it to inspire other creative thinkers and action takers. Come travel with us thru Asia on a bike, unsupported and sleep in the villages and tell me we havent got mega load of work to be done to make this world a better place.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 am

Duck! wrote:For all day riding the key is to eat small amounts frequently rather than stopping halfway for a three-course meal. Digesting large quantities of food requires the body to direct a lot of its energy and blood supply to the stomach, thus taking it away from other ares, such as your legs. The result is you feel like rubbish for a while even though you've just refuelled.

By taking in small quantities you reduce the blood flow diversion from the working muscles, so your body works much more efficiently.

You're a nut if you go on long rides (3 hours+) without adequate food supplies.

Try to minimise products with too much sugar (of any kind); although great for a quick pick-up sugars are used by the body very quickly so you'll tend to get a quick "spike" of energy, then crash off the back of it as you burn it out. Low Glycaemic Index (GI) energy from nut & grain-sourced starches is preferable because it gives a slower-burn, more progressive energy delivery. You can't completely avoid sugars, and they are still beneficial for quick energy, just ensure they're balanced with slow-burn carbs as well.
Did you cut and paste that from a book or is it something you actually do on your 3-600k solo, no stims, unsupported training rides?

Post your strava data here. Im curious. A 30 day food vlog on youtube would be good as would be blood tests, 10min watts per kg and recent pics with your shirt off to show us what them abs look like Duck.
Vegan since 2001.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:02 pm

That's what I actually do. All of my rides are unsupported, including when I have done over 300km in one day (which I've only done once). But since I turned to mountain biking I don't cover that kind of distance anymore, although 6-hour races are undertaken a few times a year.

I don't do Strava, so don't bother looking for me there. I don't have an ego that needs to be stroked. I readily admit that my race performance is mid-pack B-grader, and I have never claimed to be anything else.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:58 am

durianrider wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:

But he loaded on caffeine and had a van following him. Mate, if I did that, I could crack 800k in 24hrs but whats the point? Anyone can have a support crew and go bonkers on stims to do a long ride. Take away the stims and support van and that exposes everything. Does that make sense?
Where did you hear that?

casual_cyclist

Re: What to eat when out riding

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:38 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Where did you hear that?
He made it up! :lol:
<removed by request>

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:22 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Where did you hear that?
He made it up! :lol:
I thought it was common knowledge that 92.34% of statistics are made up on the spot! [emoji1]

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:10 pm

haha. Read the strava comments before you make a comment.

I love these guys who couldnt even hold my wheel for a minute uphill telling me Ive no clue. You don't have to agree with me but you are still wrong. Go and ride PBP in 51:30 with no support crew and no stimulants and tell me what diet I should eat mate.

Ive ridden over 60 300k rides so far. Ive used caffeine in maybe 5 of those rides. Its incredible how fatigued society is. Riding home at 9pm at night I see people still at cafes loading up on stimulants just so they don't fall asleep at the table.
Vegan since 2001.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 pm

I drank about 10litres of lemonade, box cliff bars, maybe 15 gels, 500g of dates and 500g of vegan jelly babies
I'm curious. You said that this was a solo, unsupported effort (well done either way). How did you carry all of that? Did you use a backpack or panniers?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:25 pm

durianrider wrote: Go and ride PBP in 51:30 with no support crew and no stimulants and tell me what diet I should eat mate.
What year was that?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:03 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
durianrider wrote: Go and ride PBP in 51:30 with no support crew and no stimulants and tell me what diet I should eat mate.
What year was that?
2003. One time finisher.

A lot more impressive is:
Six Times Finisher

MOORE Peter 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011
http://audax.org.au/public/index.php/pa ... rest-paris" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we should find out what he eats! :wink:
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:20 pm

durianrider wrote:Come on mate, fair go. Why so nasty? Im not living to impress the average person who just follows the status quo, Im doing my thing and sharing it to inspire other creative thinkers and action takers. Come travel with us thru Asia on a bike, unsupported and sleep in the villages and tell me we havent got mega load of work to be done to make this world a better place.
Why so nasty? Because that's what you dish out to others. Your trolling and bad sportsmanship with Matt Carnal was embarrassing and cast Australia in a really bad light.

You are in a position of influence over a lot of impressionable young people, and you carried on like a total low brow in that January challenge.
I can tell you you lost the respect of a lot of cyclists in Brisbane after that mate....and no doubt from cyclists around the world based on Strava comments.

You are too old to be carrying on like a self absorbed school kid trying to get a rise every time he opens his mouth.
Give people respect when it's due. Keep a level head, and you'll find you'll be more successful at whatever you apply yourself to.
Just go and read Dale Carnegie's books for God's sake.

And eat some greens every day for Chrisake.
Piling sugar into your datorade is not going to do anyone any good.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm

durianrider wrote:haha. Read the strava comments before you make a comment.

I love these guys who couldnt even hold my wheel for a minute uphill telling me Ive no clue. You don't have to agree with me but you are still wrong. Go and ride PBP in 51:30 with no support crew and no stimulants and tell me what diet I should eat mate.

Ive ridden over 60 300k rides so far. Ive used caffeine in maybe 5 of those rides. Its incredible how fatigued society is. Riding home at 9pm at night I see people still at cafes loading up on stimulants just so they don't fall asleep at the table.

We don't care how good you think you are

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Can we move back onto topic. I did my first largish ride of around 120kms today which was really windy. As it was soo windy I only managed 27kmh.

This is what I ate.
Woke up at 6.40
Medium bowl of just right and milk
Mule bar 40 minutes into ride
From there I had 5 gels and one cliff bar with the cliff bar half way into the ride. I ate every 20-30 minutes

Didn't stop besides filling up water bottles. Had about 4 Nuun tablets in the bottles.

Any advice?

zill

Re: What to eat when out riding

Postby zill » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm

rusty842 wrote:Can we move back onto topic. I did my first largish ride of around 120kms today which was really windy. As it was soo windy I only managed 27kmh.

This is what I ate.
Woke up at 6.40
Medium bowl of just right and milk
Mule bar 40 minutes into ride
From there I had 5 gels and one cliff bar with the cliff bar half way into the ride. I ate every 20-30 minutes

Didn't stop besides filling up water bottles. Had about 4 Nuun tablets in the bottles.

Any advice?
Did you have lunch after your ride? If so then what you did doesn't seem unusual. I was asking how you'd manage if the ride started soon after breakfast and finished just before dinner. So how would you manage to eat your lunch during the ride if at all (e.g regular food intake like what you did). For some reason I don't like to have regular food intake when riding.