Protection from the sun

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
WanderingPom

Protection from the sun

Postby WanderingPom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:53 am

Hi Folks,

I wasn't sure where this post should go - it's sort of health related, but safety related, and a few other things related, so I'm taking pot luck on this section. Apologies if it's covered elsewhere but my searches must have missed it. Anyway, I wanted to get advice about sun damage to skin.

My general Googling about my trip to Oz has made it pretty clear that the sun, and protection from it, should be high on my list of priorities. I gather skin cancers have become a big issue in Australia.

Ordinarily in such climates I'd don my big wide-brimmed hat (like the one in my profile pic) and in extreme cases pin a white hanky to it to hang down the back to protect my neck. But because I never ignore local laws just because I disagree with them, I'm wondering what the practicalities are when wearing a cycle helmet?

As a lilly-white European, I'm not used to the levels of UV you guys experience there, so I'm pretty keen to avoid the potential nastiness that can result from that much sun.

Is there a generally accepted 'best solution' for those situations?

With thanks in advance,

Graham

ValleyForge

Re: Protection from the sun

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am

Coverage is the best option - be it in a high-UPF long-sleeved top or arm covers. Covering knees in summer is a bit more tricky without overheating.

Face and neck are best protected by a cap and collared jersey. Sunscreen & UV blocking sunglasses are essential; I favour zinc based creams as they also block IR & UV and don't sting your eyes when you sweat. A big hat like you mention flaps too much for anything other than a gentle pootle.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 am

Howdy Graham,

If you want sun protection and wear the helmet then try Da-brim's website, they may have what you are after. I always wear a skull cap to stop the sun stripes through my helmet during summer and a Da-brim.

Cheers
Eddie

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Splendid, thanks guys. I reckon on a fully-laden self-supported tour I'll be lucky to average 16 km/h, so big hats shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'll stock-up with the zinc based creams, thanks for the tip. I'd not heard of those before.

Da-brim looks wonderfully weird and daft - perfect for me :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 pm

WanderingPom wrote:I'll stock-up with the zinc based creams, thanks for the tip. I'd not heard of those before.
Sure you have - or seen it at least...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Netti Sun Sleeves and Leggings work well.

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:30 pm

RonK wrote:
WanderingPom wrote:I'll stock-up with the zinc based creams, thanks for the tip. I'd not heard of those before.
Sure you have - or seen it at least...
We don't look at images of Oz cricketers here, for obvious reasons :oops:

:D Seriously though, I'd not realised that was the stuff. Cool 8)

I've always tended to be a 'baggy linen trousers and white cotton shirts' kind of touring cyclist. Not sure about all the new-fangle high-tech clothing.

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:31 pm

snafuspyramid wrote:Netti Sun Sleeves and Leggings work well.
Those look useful 8)

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

I'll be sporting one of these for touring next summer;

http://www.cancervic.org.au/store/shop_cycling_gear

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Looks perfect, thanks Tim. Really pleased there's some good options 8)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:21 pm

There are a range of things you can get to cover your face.
I personally have found bekogear to be quite good.

If you have a substantially bushy beard and a good pair of glasses this one can do whatever is left on your face in the way of skin.
The full face one is also good since it just requires a hairy chin and doesn't impede your breathing.

I also use a surfing hat like this ("Ocean and Earth" brand)

It can fit under a helmet with the flap covering the neck and the brim at the front is stiff while the sides fold down.

I find that its better for any sort of brimmed hat to be a bit short to prevent the wind getting up underneath it. If you are using a beko or something similar you just need a brim big enough to protect the space between your the rims of your helmet and sunglasses.
I got a Da Brim but I made the mistake of getting one with the longest brim so I practically never use it :cry:

Generally the sun is only at its worst in the middle of the day (around 10am - 2pm with a bit of seasonal - probably add an extra 2 hrs each way for summer - and geographic difference thrown in) so you can suit up for the sun (such as having a long sleeved shirt or convertible pants that have zip off leggings) as you need to during the day.
I find that its convenient to wash my sun protection shirt shirt as the sun goes down and tie it to the back somewhere to somewhat dry so I can use it every day. (My current fav is a light lycra merino blend shirt).

Its important to pay attention to spots on your body which you may not think need so much protection. eg - the sliver on your wrist between your gloves and your sleeve. I remember during one episode my calf muscles got incredibly burned (I didn't think they would cop it so much since they mostly lack a horizontal surface)

Personally I never use sun screen since the greasy residue gets on everything (espcially sleeping bags :twisted: )
Go!Run!GAH!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Tim wrote:I'll be sporting one of these for touring next summer;

http://www.cancervic.org.au/store/shop_cycling_gear
I got one of these but I found the high winds of a mountain descent or the like making it impractical
Go!Run!GAH!

Downhill2Fast

Postby Downhill2Fast » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:14 am

Also download the SunSmart app, it's on iPhone and probably Android. It's really good, it gives you UV levels and also tells you between what times protection will be needed throughout the day.

I used it last summer to let me know when I needed to be back in by, in order to wear no sunscreen on morning rides.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:10 pm

joipers - those beko face masks are a bit Hannibal lecter aren't they! :lol:

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Pretty thrilled to see there's some splendid options, thanks guys 8)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

cp123 wrote:joipers - those beko face masks are a bit Hannibal lecter aren't they! :lol:
well did hannibal lector ever get sun burnt? :wink:

btw here is another option that satisfies local MHL's

Go!Run!GAH!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:21 pm

The MiL is from oop north. If your skin is as tender as hers, cheesewheels idea isn't without merit.

If you're in the hotter parts at the hotter times, I'd be suggesting a post lunch siesta until around 1600 wherever possible
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:The MiL is from oop north. If your skin is as tender as hers, cheesewheels idea isn't without merit.

If you're in the hotter parts at the hotter times, I'd be suggesting a post lunch siesta until around 1600 wherever possible
I'm good at siestas 8)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Did I miss it Wandering Pom or did you not mention when you are touring here and where? It could be that you are overthinking the sun issues, especially if you are here sort of pre-mid-October or post-March and planning to spend most of your time in the south.
Not to put too fine a point on it but there may be more things to be careful of than simply the sun. Bities, summer storms and floods, bushfires. Not meaning to put the frighteners on you but, you know, this is a nice but sometimes extreme country.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

RonK

Protection from the sun

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Bities, summer storms and floods, bushfires. Not meaning to put the frighteners on you but, you know, this is a nice but sometimes extreme country.
Bities? Let's not beat around the bush there gm - dingos, crocodiles, sharks, spiders, snakes, drop bears...:lol:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Well let's not overly worry the man Ron but certainly the spiders and snakes are cause for concern. No such thing as a friendly snake and some of the bigger spiders can give a nasty nip, even if they are non-life-threatening.
Crocs, dingoes and sharks aren't all that common on regional roads and dingoes will mostly leave people alone as long as said people don't try feeding them or patting them.
Drop bears? Yet to see one of those.
But seriously, if Mr Pom posts some where and when details we should be able to tailor some advice for him. even something as simple as "get a train from Sydney to somewhere regional rather than trying to manage Sydney freeway or motorway traffic while you are jetlagged". That'd be a good start point wouldn't it?

RonK

Protection from the sun

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Had that discussion underway for a while now...

viewtopic.php?t=84896

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Man, I can't believe you suggested he go to Tasmania!

RonK

Protection from the sun

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:39 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Man, I can't believe you suggested he go to Tasmania!
Well, you never know - he might find some long lost rellies living there.

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Yep, I could be over-thinking things. It's just when you Google these things, the sheer weight of headlines about skin cancer gave me a little concern. I know everything on the internet should be taken with a hearty pinch of salt, so thought I'd ask the locals, as it were. But just knowing that if I ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time, there are solutions. For now, my mind's at rest. It'll be a while before I know dates. I'm saving those for when I've settled on the where.

Last time I was there I was in my 20s, daft and gung ho. I'm doing my best to ignore everything I did back then, because I'm too old to get away with those antics again :?

As for the bities... my mate in Sydney is already winding me right up about those :|