Riding after Concussion

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jackthelad

Riding after Concussion

Postby jackthelad » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Sustained a concussion at wk
put me off the bike this weekend
question is
how long did you wait to go mtn biking again?
did you find it affected your normal riding etc?
confidence etc?
Did you get an MRI?
As i ride to commute etc as i have no license
i need to be sure it is safe for me to ride again
P.S dont tell me i should HTFU, i have cerebral palsy and epilepsy, and ride already ..
PM me if u have true medical knowledge
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Thoglette

Re: Riding after Concussion

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 pm

jackthelad wrote:Sustained a concussion at wk
Ok. I know bugger all about medicine beyond "senior first aid". But I do know something about insurance.

First, if "wk" is "work" you need to get to a doctor. And fast - it's all about who pays your medical bills.

That doctor should be able to advise you on what grade of concussion you have and therefore when you should see your symptoms disappear.

Wikipedia will tell you morethan I know about the medical side of concussion.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:57 am

Yes
was at Dr within 20 minutes of it happening
with my supervisor,
will be reported as an accident/incedent at work etc
all medical bills will be paid for by Workers Comp
just a matter of how i feel over next day or so
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 am

I don't have true medical knowledge but I know most sports require 7-14 days before competing again. Many sports like Rugby League require medical clearances to return to play.
The problem with concussions is that you might feel fine but a second head knock can be catastrophic. The second knock can be fatal.
For yourself you would probably feel fine to ride your bike but the danger would be if you fell off or were hit by a car and sustained a second knock, then that is a very serious thing.
So just be aware of that scenario.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:37 am

Sorry to hear of your injury at work..... I'm pretty sure no one on this forum will tell you to htfu after a concussion!
Take care of yourself in your recovery!
Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:23 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Sorry to hear of your injury at work..... I'm pretty sure no one on this forum will tell you to htfu after a concussion!
Take care of yourself in your recovery!
Andrew
I can think of a banana headed :roll: past (thankfully) member that likely would on any given day.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:41 pm

No 2 concussions are exactly the same, much will depend on how you feel, if you have any nausea, vision problems or stability/vertigo issues then stay off the bike until that clears. Generally in sport a concussion means 2-3 weeks out before the docs will allow you to engage in an activity where the is a repeat risk of concussion (rugby, footy, motor racing etc), as said before a second concussion shortly after a first can have lasting or devastating consequences. I'm no doctor, but if it was me, I'd stay off the bike as long as I had symptoms and take it pretty steady when you start up again. If you're feeling OK then I'd just follow whatever doctors orders you've been given

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I had a tumble off my CX on Sunday and was wondering the same thing. A couple found me on a fire trail and picked me up, I had no idea where I was or where I'd parked my car, when I put the ride on Strava I realised that there is 1/2 an hour of nothing right where it happened. I started regaining my memory within 10 mins and was feeling ok so rode back to my car nice and easy. Had a massive headache all yesterday and have a few cuts and bruises and a split over my eye, helmet has done its job thankfully. Went for an easy paced, flat ride today and I cant say I enjoyed it much, just didn't feel right. Will be staying off for the rest of the week.

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Go back to the gp for a checkup and hopefully the all-clear to get back on the bike.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 pm

I'd say see how you feel. If you're dizzy and/or nauseous give it a rest for a few days, if you feel OK, try riding, just back the effort off a few notches.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.