Commute recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Teslik

Commute recovery

Postby Teslik » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I commute 3 times a week and it's 25km each way. In the morning I feel fine riding in but the afternoon ride I tend to struggle home. Muscles are aching and I tend to feel completely burnt out.
From experience does anyone use protein shakes or anything else to assist in recovery for the afternoon ride? and can you even get such recovery in a short space of time where the ride home is easier for that day?

Robinho

Re: Commute recovery

Postby Robinho » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Teslik wrote:I commute 3 times a week and it's 25km each way. In the morning I feel fine riding in but the afternoon ride I tend to struggle home. Muscles are aching and I tend to feel completely burnt out.
From experience does anyone use protein shakes or anything else to assist in recovery for the afternoon ride? and can you even get such recovery in a short space of time where the ride home is easier for that day?
I'm on a 27km each way, and up to riding 5 days a week now. The ride home is always a bit more of a struggle, but I find I eat loads (just to maintain the same weight) and I do have a shake with my breakfast when I get to work. Mine is a protein/carb mix for endurance athletes, as I can use the extra energy, but if you're trying to lose any weight go straight protein (low carbs).

I am finding it easier now, it's just a matter of pacing yourself through the week and gradually getting stronger.

The shake I use is Musashi protein carb matrix. You can get them online for about $50 a tub delivered, and that lasts me a month, 5 days a week

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm

Also a banana before you leave works wonders

Teslik

Postby Teslik » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info Robinho.
I'm 113kg so I might look at more of a protein mix. I am 6'5" though but I could lose a bit of weight :)

vbap_commuter

Postby vbap_commuter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 am

Robinho wrote:Also a banana before you leave works wonders
...with Weetbix and honey... :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:47 am

Teslik wrote:I commute 3 times a week and it's 25km each way. In the morning I feel fine riding in but the afternoon ride I tend to struggle home. Muscles are aching and I tend to feel completely burnt out.
If your muscles are aching and you feel burnt out I doubt food will fix it, or that nutrition is the problem.
If you are riding 50km 3 times a week you should not be feeling like that.
I suspect you are either a) pedalling too hard a gear b) riding too fast c) exerting too much energy
Nutrition and plenty of sleep are important.
But think about how you are riding.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am

Teslik wrote:.. but the afternoon ride I tend to struggle home. Muscles are aching and I tend to feel completely burnt out.
If it's just "burnt out", a biscuit & water before the ride will help - I used to have a 36km commute and the trip home often was late, meaning dinner was over due -> BONK about 10km from home. The other thing I found was I was getting low on Mg and cramping.

+1 for what Derny says. If you're killing it on the way in, you're going to hurt later. Do you have any idea how hard you are going? Likewise if there's issues with you style/bike set up.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:15 am

vbap_commuter wrote:
Robinho wrote:Also a banana before you leave works wonders
...with Weetbix and honey... :D
banana is before the ride, weetbix when I get to work

piston9

Postby piston9 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I commute 35k's each way 2-4 times a week. A couple of things.

The advice above to watch your speed is key - I ride with a heart rate monitor to 'force' me to keep the speed down. I have found for me that keeping it under 150BPM means I can ride all week - if I do an average of 150+, that usually means (for me) that I lose a day at the end of the week. I am 6'2", and now weight 109KG (I was 127). It took me 2 years to work up to this level, though I am close to 5 days now.

The second is ensure you are getting enough calories - I am trying to lose a few kg's, but make sure I top up. I do the quick and easy 'upngo', protein choc version after a ride - and another before I leave if I am feeling low. Since I burn 1200-1500 cals a ride, the 150 of the drink really just helps me along.

The key for me to gain distance though has been keeping the intensity down - don't ride to how you feel, or at the start of the week you burn more than you can handle for the end of the week\day.
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm

For my no effort rides home I listen to the legs and as soon as I feel myself giving it a bit of effort (only going up hills) then I stand up or the rare times that I am on a geared bike I change down and try to not use the legs at all... Tonight will be one of those commutes home
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Dried figs soaked in espresso take 3 about 20 mins before setting off
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Going back to the OP, protein shakes/bars within 30mins of exercise do aid muscle recovery, but I'm suspicious that the improvement for you will turn out to be miniscule. If your aim is weight loss, the additional protein will suppress appetite during the day, by leave you open to evening hunger.
I suspect you'll get more benefit with a bike service, attention to cadence and HR zone and good sleep. Shakes will make a tiny difference.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:34 pm

ValleyForge wrote:I suspect you'll get more benefit with a bike service, attention to cadence and HR zone and good sleep. Shakes will make a tiny difference.
Makes you wonder how the human race ever evolved to the way it has before the invention and mass marketing of <insert product name/category here> doesn't it?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:43 pm

If you do end up pushing it on the way in, I find getting up and moving around a bit in the first couple of hours lightens the legs. Shows how unhealthy my desk job is, that it makes a difference :-(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:48 pm

I am commuting ~250+km a week, 25-27km each way, sometimes with extras.
You can't hammer yourself silly twice a day all week and expect it to not hurt.
I generally have a few commutes a week where I focus on keeping the HR in Z1/Z2. Ignore the speed and ride only to HR, don't get sucked into Commuter Cup Racing.
I usually do another 80 to 100km on Saturday or Sunday, and go fairly hard as this is my group ride on the fast bike. Sunday is usually no riding if I ride Saturday, but I am ramping up training for Fitz's Epic in October, so it will be lots of hills, but again setting a HR target and trying to stick to it.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:01 pm

+1 for DernyDriver

Nutrition is important but I doubt eating will address your issue. From my experience, it took me 6 months before I can comfortably commute taking into account wind, route profile and building fitness. I put that to building muscle and physiological changes due to bike riding. I also learnt to pace myself and then followed a Nutrition plan during the day Inc pre-rides.

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 pm

+1 queequeg

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Some weeks I'm on the bike 7 days a week, 5 days of commuting and weekend social rides. For me, the commuter has panniers and loaded with things I take to work so I treat the commutes as a easy relaxing ride and rarely tend to push myself.

The key for me is just listening to your body, and if you feel lethargic, go down a few gears, roll down hills and enjoy the scenery. Commuting IMHO should not be hard work :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 am

What type of work do you do? If I'm in the office, there's a big diff to how I feel after a day on the tools outside. Especially to the legs. And do you drink enough water? Just plain old water......it took me a few months of regular commuting to click that I was almost permanently dehydrated. No more issues now.

Teslik

Postby Teslik » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Wow, didn't check this for a day and response galore. Thanks!
Pushing too hard on the way in makes more sense from your opinions. At least twice a week I would do a 30+km/h avg on the way in. Although I feel good during and after it must have an effect for the ride home.
I've been having a think about when I eat and I tend to run out the door with no food. So as Robinho has suggested I'm at least having a banana before I take off. It seemed to work on Monday as I followed the afternoon ride with a bball game that night with no burn out. I rode in today with a pre-ride banana and a 26km/h avg so I'll see how the ride home is.