Testicular cancer - Ivan Basso

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Calvin27

Testicular cancer - Ivan Basso

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi guys (I assume females are not too concerned here haha).

First of all thoughts out to Ivan on his recent diagnosis - hope he has a successful surgery and recovers.

Now the guts of it, I like my beans and I like riding. Is riding linked to testicular cancer in any way? There was a lot of talk about Lance getting it due to his doping regime. Then there are others who say stupid amounts of time on a bike does that. Or is this just random.

What's the concensus on why this seems to disproportionately affect cyclists?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

lobstermash

Re: Testicular cancer - Ivan Basso

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Have a look at Basso's career record, then think on your comments re Lance.

As far as I know, testicular cancer's not any more common in cyclists than the general population.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:15 pm

lobstermash wrote:As far as I know, testicular cancer's not any more common in cyclists than the general population.
Correct, but it is a cancer that affects fit young men who are in their prime (25-40), such as professional cyclists. Fortunately, it also has one of the highest survival rates of any cancer. I wish him well.

On a cynical note, he can now take EPO legally!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:22 pm

There is no increase in testicular tumours or prostate cancer in cyclists. Yes, a number of these tumours are both hormone producing and hormone dependant, so undoubtedly use of androgenic agents would make you suspicious of increased tumour promotion. Likewise the new GH pathway agents would seem like to promote tumours.
So at this stage, there's no link to cycling, but a plausible mechanism in relation to some doping agents.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:06 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: Correct, but it is a cancer that affects FIT young men who are in their prime (25-40), such as professional cyclists.!
Phew, good thing I don't have any KOMs.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Guys, take some time for yourself and let Rachel Stevens take care of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WK_LwgCunQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; NSFW!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 pm

march83 wrote:Guys, take some time for yourself and let Rachel Stevens take care of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WK_LwgCunQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; NSFW!
Sounds like fun, but when you go to the doctor for a check, even with a young female one, it's nothing like that. I went through all of the tests recently and it turns out I've got varicose veins in the sack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicocele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The ultrasound technician (middle aged Asian guy - not sexy) knew what it was straight away and explained it to me, but said I had to await confirmation from the docs (which is was).

That being said, please examine yourself and, if you find anything weird, consult a doctor.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That being said, please examine yourself and, if you find anything weird, consult a doctor.
What I love to think is he found it on the rest day!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 am

ValleyForge wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That being said, please examine yourself and, if you find anything weird, consult a doctor.
What else would you be doing on a rest day?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:57 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:
What else would you be doing on a rest day?
Resting!

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:02 pm

apparently he took a knock to the groin in an accident on the previous day which required a Dr's attention.