What is your experience with HAEMORRHOIDS?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
tooslowtorace

What is your experience with HAEMORRHOIDS?

Postby tooslowtorace » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:45 am

Haemorrhoids, piles, hanging grapes, call them what you will these small veins around the anus engorge with blood and cause a fair bit of discomfort and misery to a large portion of the community; as my brother commented, "there's them that have 'em and them that's going to get 'em".

Bit of a taboo subject but here goes anyway.

I first found mine in my mid 30s, 15 years ago now and I really didn't pay much attention until they started to pop out with greater frequency and cause discomfort during activity, and here is the curious thing, walking, running and lifting quickly bring on the symptoms but I can cycle for hours with virtually no problem.

I'd like to get mine back under control without recourse to surgery and to that end I've fixed up my diet and bowel habits (which was actually quite easy, doh) and am hoping that breakouts will become less frequent as a result.

There must be a sizable cohort out there that also rides with this irritating condition; does it prevent you riding at all, what are your tips for dealing with it, what is your experience of the various treatments etc.

Duck!
Expert

Re: What is your experience with HAEMORRHOIDS?

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Pain in the bum, aren't they (well someone had to).

I've had minor, infrequent episodes, and a smear of the appropriately-named Anusol ointment has done the trick. Try that if you haven't already.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Duck! wrote:Pain in the bum, aren't they (well someone had to).

I've had minor, infrequent episodes, and a smear of the appropriately-named Anusol ointment has done the trick. Try that if you haven't already.
+1

tooslowtorace

Postby tooslowtorace » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Over-the-counter creams work on a number of levels to reduce the symptoms of soreness etc, but don't address the underlying cause; they can contain an anaesthetic, a lubricating cream and on occasion a steroid component.

This is quite interesting:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... there.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Let me start by saying I'm not going to explain how I know this.....

Topical creams as recommended by pharmacists perform no better than plain zinc cream (Sudocream) in numerous trials.
Four out of five Australians will have haemorrhoid bleeding at some stage in their life - usually it is trivial but confronting.

Self-diagnosis of "haemorrhoids" always is worrying as you can't see too well yourself and there are a number of serious conditions which can masquerade as it.... SO get a qualified person to have a look so to speak.

I love the story of Napoleon and his 'rhoids. He suffered an attack of strangulated haemorrhoids in battle and couldn't ride a horse. His troops were confused and some blamed Napoleons absence for their defeat. He had his piles treated on the battlefield with a pile-iron. If you have a strong stomach, Google it.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Had them badly, a few years back before I started cyclingr.
Had to get it lanced, lots of salt-baths etc.
Very, very unpleasant.

Creams make a small difference. If you get onto it early it may help but once they're past the point of no return lancing was the only option.
This was just a local, so not surgery as such.

Now I eat lots of oats so lack of fibre isn't an issue.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:39 pm

High fibre diet and don't push or strain.
No more than 1 minute of unproductive time sitting on the dunny.
That's what I was told and it worked perfectly. No problems over the last ten years.