Achilles pain only when cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
tk38

Achilles pain only when cycling

Postby tk38 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 pm

So I have been getting some Achilles pain when cycling. After a ride it seems to still hurt for a while to the point where I am actually limping around.
A few days go by and I'm absolutely perfect again when walking or running around.
Unfortunately this then gives me the confidence to get back on the bike. But then I quickly feel the pain again.

I keep reading online that it might be tendonitis and my physio says the same. But she can't understand why my walking and running is fine. She has consulted all the physios in the practice and none have a real idea of how I could be fine walking.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

cameronp

Re: Achilles pain only when cycling

Postby cameronp » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Is it possible that your saddle is too high or and/or cleat position is too far forward? Sounds like something is wrong with your bike fit, anyway. Check out e.g. Steve Hogg's web site, Sheldon Brown's cycling pain page or this page on long distance cycling comfort.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 pm

There is a whole entire topic on similar things:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=77564&p=1277872#p1277872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had similar, to the same point of limping around a bit. It has gone away however. I never did work out what was causing it. Perhaps dropping my heel a bit when pedaling?

That topic is worth reading. It is a really nasty thing to have happen - it really ruins your riding. Painful too.

I woukd check bike fit and the way you pedal to make sure something there is not stirring it up. Good luck.

tk38

Postby tk38 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:48 am

I'll give that a read.

On the topic of bike fit. I got a full specialized body geometry fit. I've had that fit for years and never had a problem. I've even got some tape to ensure my saddle doesn't slip down.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 am

+1 to the thread covering the topic. Some good stuff. Another possibility is your cycling shoes have a high back of heel that digs in a touch (more common with SPDs). I also find booties bother me a little so have switched to toe covers in the wet which provide maybe 80% of the benefit.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Or it could be something that requires a surgical fix like mine did many years ago.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Bike position problem. Get a decent fit and it will go away.

tk38

Postby tk38 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Not a bike for problem. Got a proper one and have had it for years.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:53 am

Read the thread.

My only comment is to take it seriously. I have been in pain for over a year now and I am in constant pain even sitting at my desk typing this. I wish I had just taken a couple months off riding when it started and knocked it on the head instead of letting it go chronic. I think I have a particularly bad case, but there is many things I have done and regretted and which I could go back and do again differently. You may be in the position I wish I was in, so take it carefully!

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:27 pm

tk38 wrote:Not a bike for problem. Got a proper one and have had it for years.
Oh so your body now is exactly the same as it was years ago when you had the fit done? Awesome, nothing to worry about then.

Also it's impossible that this issue has been creeping up on your for years ever since the fit was done, but has only recently become painful I guess. Keep doing what you're doing, it will go away.

tk38

Postby tk38 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 am

So taking on Neil's advice about keep on going, I've now made it 2 weeks on the bike without pain. Prior to originally posting I took 6 weeks off already.
First day on bike felt stiff, but everyday it feels better. I guess Neil was on point about keep in going, in the sense that it will build up strength again and go away.
Thanks all.