AC Joint dislocation

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Retrorobb

AC Joint dislocation

Postby Retrorobb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi

so recently started riding track and got caught up in a bit of a crash where the rider in front of me touched wheels with another rider and they went down, i was left with nowhere to go but straight into their bike!! which sent me over the bars and crashing to the asphalt floor, there's no give in that i can tell you lol... this resulted in me going to hospital with a suspect broken collar bone which lucky just turned out to be an ac joint dislocation. so it been almost two weeks and most of the pain has gone away and i have a fair bit of movement back in my shoulder, now the doctors have said that i wont need surgery and it should recover well, just wondering what other peoples experiences with this injury have been ???
Rider of Retro
Klein Quantum & Pro & pinnacle
Marin Rift Zone FRS
Proflex 857 x2
Cannondale F300 Cad2

CXCommuter

Re: AC Joint dislocation

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 pm

have had moderate tears/partial dislocation (Grade 2?) in both AC Joints from OTB stacks on MTB's, blasted painful at first but most recovery occurred quickly (say 2-3 weeks) but took about 8-10 weeks before I got "normal" stability back in the joint. No issues now but do have two matching lumps on top of each shoulder.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Been there done that, mine was cat 3, which is borderline for surgery. Decided to have it fixed.

Plate went in, 3 months later, plate came out..... physio followed, 5 months later all good and no lump in my shoulder. :)

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Grade 2's in both shoulders twice each...eventually i will break something i think.
Reasonable recovery with most of them , last one has been troublesome mostly i think due to training too much on an injury.
Follow the exercises they give you and see a physio if you are concerned but generally speaking i have retuned to normal ROM and strength.

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 pm

I've recently done my AC joint. Like the original poster, I went over the handle bars, got a weird lump. 10 days of leaving in a sling and off to the docs tomorrow to find out what happens next. Pain is only in certain arm positions but getting better all the time.

OP - if you're sitll watching this thread, how long was it til you were riding a bike again?

I've suppose to be training for 3 Peaks at Falls but this has temporarily sidelined me. Wondering if it will heal in time to get some decent training in.
=========================
2009 Specialized Tricross
2004 Cannondale CAAD4
2013 Giant Trinity Composite

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:28 am

dzzmzz wrote:I've suppose to be training for 3 Peaks at Falls but this has temporarily sidelined me. Wondering if it will heal in time to get some decent training in.
6 weeks before the 5 Dams, which is a similar event to 3 Peaks, did a stage 2-3 dislocation, no surgery. After 2 weeks I went to the gym and used the stationary bike, at 2.5 weeks I did a 4 hour stationary ride (while watching tour videos, great fun!) and a week later I was on the road with the group again, although still a little uncomfortable. It was actually easier to ride a bike than to just stand around as the weight of the arm was taken off the shoulder with hand on handle bar. By the time I did the 5 Dams, there was no issue riding.

In terms of overall recovery it took a good 12 months for the muscles to regain full strength again, if I was doing something intensive like digging a hole, a my lower deltoid would get sore and tired. No problems any more about 1.5 years on.

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks for that perspective Red Rider. It's now over three weeks since I did mine. I'm still recovering and can run again with a bit of stiffness. The shoulder is still pretty weak and I can't sleep on one side and lifting this is painful but I'm going to get back into stationary bike training this week and hopefully be back group riding in a week or two.

Looking into getting a shoulder strap like this one:

https://www.optomo.com.au/product/deroy ... review_tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To give my shoulder a bit more support while riding without the need to get it strapped all the time. I wonder if anyone else has used similar straps and if they're at all useful.
=========================
2009 Specialized Tricross
2004 Cannondale CAAD4
2013 Giant Trinity Composite

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:16 pm

(I'm no doctor but...) I don't think that strap would be much help with this injury as it looks to be pushing inwards on the shoulder blade to under the clavicle. I found it better that the shoulder blade is pushed up from below, such as a sling does or resting the hand on handle bar. A sports doctor or physio may know a better method of support.

Ozzyb4

Postby Ozzyb4 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:49 pm

I suffered a similar fate in a crash on Melbourne Cup day in a Crit, and I also was training for 3 Peaks. Am seeing a cycling specific Physio next week to try to get good advice early on regarding how to heal the shoulder.
CT scan showed 7mm widening of the AC joint. Sounds a lot to me. Also broke a few ribs and had a pneumothorax.
Am hoping to get back on the trainer for some short and slow and most likely fairly upright spinning from next week

Any tips for recovery would be welcomed

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:48 pm

had a similar injury ( not as bad as yours it would seem) when about 12 years ago i came off the KDX and a small eucalyptus was kind enough to halt my slide, shoulder popped and pretty much went back in straight away, wasn’t terribly painful while i was still warm but that changed when i cooled down. its came good after a while but more recently when sleeping i can roll onto that shoulder and its quite unpleasant, i dont think the ligaments ever fully recover after being stretched.