Sugar its like a poison

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Waccofozzy

Re: Sugar its like a poison

Postby Waccofozzy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am

HappyHumber wrote:Too much life eventually kills ya too.
Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease.No one survives it
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 pm

This one was brought to my attention
Source and more info
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

big booty

Postby big booty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Can you just imagine that Coke (registered trade make) doesn't exist. The execs turn up to the FDA office with a claims sheet that says that. The FDA turns around and says, yep that sounds OK, sell as many cans of the stuff as you want.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Nobody wrote:
There was one glaring error which is that sugar causes type two diabetes. It does so only indirectly as excess sugar contributes to obesity and that obesity contributes to the diabetes. Dietary fat is the main culprit for type two diabetes.
Right now there is nothing on the Internet I will believe as big industry supports sugar and will do anything they can to protect their bottom line. On Friday I expect to have a glucose ketone meter which I'll be able to measure my glucose and suss out what foods cause it to spike.
Wind back 100 years sugar was a treat that most people could not afford. Look at all the diseases modern medical science has picked up on now. Did they exist 100 years ago, well here is the conundrum they didn't have the medical science back then so it's unknown.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:04 pm

In addition to the supporting evidence where that quote was taken from, posted here, the video below at 03:30 shows a food combination where the grouped food insulin response was worse than the individual food responses. So using the meter may give some surprises.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-whit ... out-china/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2016/01/ ... t-in-sugar

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:47 pm

I finally got around to watching "That Sugar Film" on the weekend. Not being a big consumer of processed foods, (although I'll admit to a couple of cans of baked beans in the back of the pantry for emergencies) I was quite ignorant of the amount of sugar that goes into everything, even so called savoury items. It really is quite alarming.

It was quite interesting watching the presenter's change in body shape despite being on the same number of calories and apparently still doing the same amount of exercise.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:34 pm

I was talking to the guard who previously worked at Kellogg's. He told me that Kellogg's is Sugar Australia's second biggest customer (behind Coca-Cola Amatil) and that dealing with the the sugar trucks were a major part of his job.

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Nobody wrote:I was talking to the guard who previously worked at Kellogg's. He told me that Kellogg's is Sugar Australia's second biggest customer (behind Coca-Cola Amatil) and that dealing with the the sugar trucks were a major part of his job.
I wouldn't be surprised. With the possible exception of All Bran, I would think the bulk of their breakfast cereals are laden with sugar. I shudder to think how much sugar is in their snack bars.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I went thru all the cereals and rejected almost all of them due to the sugar content. Perhaps there would be a much better selection of cereals if most people did that

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:44 am

mikesbytes wrote:I went thru all the cereals and rejected almost all of them due to the sugar content. Perhaps there would be a much better selection of cereals if most people did that
Traditional rolled oats, the only sugar in those is what you add.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:09 am

matagi wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I went thru all the cereals and rejected almost all of them due to the sugar content. Perhaps there would be a much better selection of cereals if most people did that
Traditional rolled oats, the only sugar in those is what you add.
That was one of the few that passed and was pretty much tops off memory. The usual story of eating base foods and ignoring manufactured foods applies in this area too

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:38 pm

matagi wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. With the possible exception of All Bran, I would think the bulk of their breakfast cereals are laden with sugar.
Unfortunately All-Bran is not an exception. It's also a rich source of sugar. Second most significant ingredient and 16.7 grams per 100 gram serving.

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Howzat wrote:
matagi wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. With the possible exception of All Bran, I would think the bulk of their breakfast cereals are laden with sugar.
Unfortunately All-Bran is not an exception. It's also a rich source of sugar. Second most significant ingredient and 16.7 grams per 100 gram serving.
Ah well, there you go - it's at least 20 years since I've eaten the stuff, so I have no idea about its ingredient list.

I do remember being given some as child and adding another 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar to make it acceptable to my then 5 year old palate.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:43 pm

matagi wrote:I finally got around to watching "That Sugar Film" on the weekend... It was quite interesting watching the presenter's change in body shape despite being on the same number of calories and apparently still doing the same amount of exercise.
Me too. Good film.

I thought the most interesting part was that his liver got fatty and his blood fats rose to dangerous levels, all on a low fat diet. It was the liver metabolising the sugar that raised his cholesterol, not his consumption of fats.

Also the part that the common wisdom that "all calories are equal" is essential sugar-industry bull feathers.

According to industry spruikers, if you're fat, it's your fault because you eat too much and don't exercise enough. Never never never that your modern diet contains an unbalanced proportion of sugar, more than your body can safely metabolise, more than it evolved to deal with.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 am

Howzat wrote:Also the part that the common wisdom that "all calories are equal" is essential sugar-industry bull feathers.

According to industry spruikers, if you're fat, it's your fault because you eat too much and don't exercise enough. Never never never that your modern diet contains an unbalanced proportion of sugar, more than your body can safely metabolise, more than it evolved to deal with.
True, all calories aren't equal in the way the body processes them. Generally all processed sugars and carbs should be avoided unless you are doing large amounts of exercise and the denser calories are an advantage.

However, sugar and processed carbs are not the whole story. There has also been a rise in fat consumption. The combination of animal products and processed carbs (a high percentage of the average American diet) are even more insulin spiking or fattening, as the western diet has shown.

The Obesity Crisis Explained
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:56 am

Howzat wrote: I thought the most interesting part was that his liver got fatty and his blood fats rose to dangerous levels, all on a low fat diet. It was the liver metabolising the sugar that raised his cholesterol, not his consumption of fats.
I remember sitting in biochemistry lectures as a second year university student while the lecturer went through the cholesterol synthesis pathway and thinking at the time that the big problem in raised cholesterol levels was sugar/simple carbohydrate which are readily broken down to produce the acetyl units needed for the first step.
Also the part that the common wisdom that "all calories are equal" is essential sugar-industry bull feathers.
Well it is true that a calorie is a calorie, so in that sense all calories are equal - however, all SOURCES of calories are NOT equal. Which I think is a very important distinction that most people do not make.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 am

matagi wrote:
Howzat wrote:
Ah well, there you go - it's at least 20 years since I've eaten the stuff, so I have no idea about its ingredient list.

I do remember being given some as child and adding another 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar to make it acceptable to my then 5 year old palate.
I'm wondering if the sugar content has gone up in All-Bran?

Also do we tend to notice the added sugar, hence the adding of the 2 or teaspoons and don't notice as much the sugar in the product itself?

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:23 am

In regards to breakfast cereals I enjoy Cheerios. My wife recently brought a box of sugar free/unsweetened Cheerios. Anyway they tasted like I would imagine the box to taste like. I guess it could be that our palates have been conditioned to enjoy the sweet taste of sugar. I DO NOT add sugar to anything that i put in my mouth. I have been this way for a number of years. Of course I consume my share of "hidden" sugar. Per chance I have just had a review of my colesterole levels this week. Very high and have escaped medication by the skin of my teeth and that was only because i am resonably fit and healthy.

Steve M

big booty

Postby big booty » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Was looking at "healthy" muesli bars in the supermarket today. Most had a sugar content in the mid 20s. Worst was 36.5%!! Lowest I could find was 10.5%. Should have noted down the salt content. I suspect that the higher the sugar content the higher the salt content

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:17 am

I use to eat muesli bars when I raced, not a long way off energy gels

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:09 am

I love the Carmen's bars...don't ruin it for me guys

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:24 am

I used to take gels, sports drinks etc. etc. Now I ride on water with a weak solution of "no added sugar" cordial and some salt - sometimes burning over 2900Kj (according to the Power2Max) before eating. From a cycling perspective, sugar (and starch) are effectively drugs of dependency - the more you have, the more you need.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 pm

What kind of training do you do? Long and slow? My weak understanding was you could burn your fat for those kinds of rides, but you really the carbs for the more intense rides.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:39 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:I used to take gels, sports drinks etc. etc. Now I ride on water with a weak solution of "no added sugar" cordial and some salt - sometimes burning over 2900Kj (according to the Power2Max) before eating. From a cycling perspective, sugar (and starch) are effectively drugs of dependency - the more you have, the more you need.

Not sure I understand what your point is.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:What kind of training do you do? Long and slow? My weak understanding was you could burn your fat for those kinds of rides, but you really the carbs for the more intense rides.
As long as you mostly stay below the aerobic threshold - no issue. I finished in the mid 50's for Fitz's 165km classic this year, and finished this years AG Gran Fondo in 3:26, 22 minutes faster than my best carb-fueled effort. Anaerobic is a bit limited... and you can still bonk if the energy expenditure exceeds the ability of the liver to create glucose, but there's always SOME stored glycogen going on via gluconeogenesis. For longer efforts (3+ hours) you can use something like superstarch or (somewhat) "carb up" the day before. As I pointed out to a mate - I can carb up the day before, but he can't fat-adapt in a day.