Sugar its like a poison

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Top_Bhoy

Re: Sugar its like a poison

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:29 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote: People are always punished in some way for other peoples choices. Low income single people are taxed which goes towards paying for childcare of higher income families; schools are paid for by childless households, savers are punished by the need for the RBA to hold mortgage rates low for those who chose to take on debt...where does it end?
Seriously? Childless households don't have uneducated street urchins accosting them because they're in school. Debt pays for places to live. Society is better off. The returns are not simple money propositions. Take cyclists - we don't pay vehicle charges but motorists are better off with less congestion. Mind you, a few of them may have missed the education part.
Your assumptions may or may not be correct, that is a never ending debate in itself. However it was the scope of taxation policy which was being argued about, not the consequences. What can't be opposed is that people paying for others choices has precedence.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 pm

zill wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
twizzle wrote:"No man is an island".
Unfortunately true, almost everything we do has an impact on others

We seem to be getting a bit excited about how to solve societies problems, or whether we should solve them.

There are lots of things people could do to improve society but If there is only one thing people can do to improve living standards on earth, I think it would be for people on earth to have less children, in particular only have children if there is good reason to such as having some desirable genetic trait that will benefit humanity and the earth. Off course this sort of thing is debatable but if you are jobless and or a criminal than definitely think hard about reproducing. I'd even argue that if you are an "average" person doing an "average" job and without any special traits that other people would look up to then think hard about children as well. Don't think most people would agree with me as most seem to love (having and caring their own) children. I for one am not planning to have any children.
so which one are you - jobless, criminal or a genetic deadend ?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:However it was the scope of taxation policy which was being argued about, not the consequences.
Hmm, I thought we were talking about sugar as a poison ... :wink:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:04 pm

tallywhacker wrote:
so which one are you - jobless, criminal or a genetic deadend ?

I consider myself as someone with a genetic defect. Not jobless nor a criminal though.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:11 pm

But do you have the N+1 condition? There's no cure
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:But do you have the N+1 condition? There's no cure
What is the N+1 condition?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 pm

zill wrote:
What is the N+1 condition?
"Where N=the size of your stable, N+1=the correct number of bikes to own"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote:However it was the scope of taxation policy which the poster was arguing about, not the consequences.
Hmm, I thought we were talking about sugar as a poison ... :wink:
Fixed it :D

zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:36 am

Riding my dream bike at the moment. If anything, I'd consider getting another one of the same bike with training wheel on one and carbon wheel on the other.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:18 pm

zill wrote:
Riding my dream bike at the moment. If anything, I'd consider getting another one of the same bike with training wheel on one and carbon wheel on the other.
What's your dream bike?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
zill wrote:
What's your dream bike?
Which dream bike for which purposes;
- Road
- MTB
- Track
- Cyclecross
- Fixie
- Pub bike
- Touring bike
- Vintage bike(s)
- and the others...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:38 am

mikesbytes wrote:Which dream bike for which purposes;
- Road
- MTB
- Track
- Cyclecross
- Fixie
- Pub bike
- Touring bike
- Vintage bike(s)
- and the others...
Mtb? What is that?

Dh, enduro, am, xc, freebie....?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

Calvin27 wrote:[
Mtb? What is that?
enduro, am...
Well despite what the hype machine says, those two are the same thing....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Sugar is a wonderful thing. Don't get it?

That said, I eat 3 things typically. Homemade meals from scratch (no significant additives at all) with a bit of salt/soy/spices to taste, absolute garbage like maccas or fish and chips, and straight sugar like chocolate or Coke or a mocha coffee. I don't feel the need to hit myself with fast food terribly much and those super sugar meals (200-300g of chocolate yikes) typically accompany a ride of 200kms with a bunch of climbing. I don't eat much during the ride.

The instant you allow others to prepare food for you, and you don't have a nutrients chart on the packet, you are inviting dietary disaster. That's OK if you go out for food to a fast food or a friends place once or twice a week, but every lunch and weekends etc = high risk diet if you aren't spending all your weekend on a bike :idea:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Xplora, apart from the maccas your sugar intake is visible, you know how much sugar you consume as your keeping largely clear of products with hidden sugar, tomato sauce for example.

I started this thread not so much to beat up sugar but as a response to all the hidden sugar that has crept into the Australian diet

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Xplora, apart from the maccas your sugar intake is visible, you know how much sugar you consume as your keeping largely clear of products with hidden sugar, tomato sauce for example.

I started this thread not so much to beat up sugar but as a response to all the hidden sugar that has crept into the Australian diet
The only way to avoid hidden sugar is to avoid the supermarket and prepare everything from scratch.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 pm

matagi wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Xplora, apart from the maccas your sugar intake is visible, you know how much sugar you consume as your keeping largely clear of products with hidden sugar, tomato sauce for example.

The only way to avoid hidden sugar is to avoid the supermarket and prepare everything from scratch.
Which is what I'm aiming for. I've found that naturally sweet foods are not that additive. For example add one tablespoon of honey which is about 10g to my oates and I am done. Have a jar of honey sitting at home and haven't tried to eat it on its own, despite containing over 80% sugar. Also sugar cane is not additive but use it to make pure sugar and I can add many table spoons of it to my oates!

Leads me to think that what is most deadly is the sugar used/made in the food factories that is bad i.e manufactured sugar. Sugar in naturally occurring foods are okay and not addictive hence sugar in general is not a poison?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 pm

matagi wrote:The only way to avoid hidden sugar is to avoid the supermarket and prepare everything from scratch.
You don't have to avoid supermarkets, just exercise self control and do some label reading while there.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:16 pm

^^^ Nobody on the money there. It is very easy to get familiar with the labels and pick out your key concerns. For me, usually protein and energy in kilojoules. If I had a heart condition I'd check the sodium as well. It makes for very revealing reading as well, a cup of Coke, a cup of chocolate milk, a cup of orange juice and a cup of normal full fat milk have roughly the same kilojoules and similar sugar. The ONLY reason Coke is a bogeyman is because many consume far more than just a simple cup.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 am

Nobody wrote:You don't have to avoid supermarkets, just exercise self control and do some label reading while there.

Problem is not everybody can do it. It's very hard for some people such as myself. I find that I exercise excellent control on other temptations like alcohol, drugs and women but very poor on food. Some people are the opposite and are skinny and hang out late in night clubs for example. Most people are in the middle somewhere.
Last edited by zill on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:55 am

Nobody wrote:
matagi wrote:The only way to avoid hidden sugar is to avoid the supermarket and prepare everything from scratch.
You don't have to avoid supermarkets, just exercise self control and do some label reading while there.
I refuse to buy my fresh produce from supermarkets and as far as processed foods go, the only stuff I buy with any regularity are rice crackers. The supermarket is where I buy stuff like toilet paper and laundry detergent, not food.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 am

matagi wrote: I refuse to buy my fresh produce from supermarkets

Where do you buy your fresh produce then? I actually do buy all my foods from the supermarket but only via the internet and gets it delivered. Been doing it for nearly 6 months and haven't been tempted to click on a temptation food yet.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 am

The dose makes the poison. Few things are poisonous in small enough quantities, all things are poisonous in sufficient quantity. You can die from drinking too much water, or inhaling too much oxygen.

In the case of sugar, the dose is affected by it being added to so many products. Mike's example of tomato sauce is a good one, try finding any commercial brand without added sugar and salt, which is why I make it that way at home.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:10 am

How much tomato sauce are people eating LMAO

The sauce isn't making anyone fat, but the stuff you put it on - sausage rolls, pies, hot dogs - is undoubtably a high risk food from a fat perspective. :idea: There are few fat alcoholics, but a lot of fat smoking drinkers at the pub near the kebab stand...

EDIT: In fairness to the sauce fans, this is precisely the conversation.... as a culture, our eating habits are extremely diverse, and biologically we are quite diverse as well. What kills one is a blessing to another. I don't eat anything that you put sauce on right now. But I consume a tablespoon of oil every day without fail in my cooking. Skinny as a RAKE.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:57 am

find_bruce wrote:The dose makes the poison. Few things are poisonous in small enough quantities, all things are poisonous in sufficient quantity. You can die from drinking too much water, or inhaling too much oxygen.
Although true, the problem with this line of thought is that most people don't know what is poisonous to them as foods - long term - until it's way too late. Things like cancer, atherosclerosis (heart disease), diabetes, auto immune diseases like MS, Alzheimer's etc often takes decades to develop. For example I've got haemochromatosis (a genetic disease which accumulates too much iron in the liver, leading to liver disease). Symptoms don't usually appear until your '30s or '40s, but can be reduced with diet modification from a young age if you know you have it. My parents didn't have it, so how would I know? The first obvious symptom of atherosclerosis is a heart attack in half of cases. To some people who have genetic susceptibility, even small amounts of vegetable oil, animal fat or cholesterol are poisonous to their arteries, long term. True, sugar is far less toxic, but to those who have diabetes and liver disease, it can be. To everyone else, it's still not a good idea to consume as it's totally avoidable and of no nutritional value. There is none in my diet.
find_bruce wrote:...try finding any commercial brand without added sugar and salt, which is why I make it that way at home.
No added salt tomato paste is effectively tomato sauce without the sugar, salt and food acids.