Classic media reporting on science

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ColinOldnCranky

Classic media reporting on science

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am

This one has popped up on the new feeds:

It's a classic case of media reporting "science" that, at best, suggests maybe some followup quality research. After which we may know something useful.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... 7527262034
Scientists try to mimic American diet 6000 calories of burger and pizza every day
SEPTEMBER 15, 2015

SIX unlikely heroes have made the ultimate sacrifice to see if eating like an American has an adverse effect on the human body.
Researchers from Temple University in Philadelphia conducted the unique experiment in the hope to discover a correlation between overeating and type 2 diabetes.
Co-author Salim Merali said for the purpose of the study, six healthy males were “forced” to consume 6000 calories every day for a whole week — a diet consisting of about 50 per cent carbohydrates, 35 per cent fats, and 15 per cent protein.
“It was a regular, American diet, composed of pizzas, hamburgers and that sort of thing,” he told New Scientist.
“They took to the diet, and liked it.”
The only catch was subjects were required to forgo any physical exercise for the entire duration of the experiment and were also forced to remain bed-bound so they could be carefully monitored.
“In that time, the men gained an average of 3.5kg and showed signs of insulin resistance as well as oxidative stress,” wrote the researchers.

This meant their sugar-absorbing insulin stopped working, which caused glucose to build up in their bloodstream instead of getting absorbed by their cells — a factor that can lead to diabetes.
Co-author Guenther Boden said while he expected to see some changes in the patients, he was shocked at just how fast they occurred.
“I was more surprised at the rapidity of the onset than the magnitude,” he told Yahoo.
“The change happened after a day or two — and became significant after three days.”
Mr Boden said as researchers now had proof overeating can be instrumental in the development of type 2 diabetes, the challenge was to move the research forward.
“The very first thing we’re going to do is to see how reversible this is,” he said.
“Now that we know you can cause insulin resistance very quickly if you overeat, but what if you return to your normal eating habits with a lower caloric intake — how long will it take to go away? And does it go away at all?
“We’re going to find the answer, but my guess is it’s reversible just as fast as it comes.”
So, some comment...
The only catch was subjects were required to forgo any physical exercise for the entire duration of the experiment and were also forced to remain bed-bound so they could be carefully monitored.
Well, that "only" catch is pretty damned significant, given the ease with which things like exercise affect metabolic processes.

Not to mention that it is a sample of only six. That screams p-hacking opportunity and I wonder if this was the single item measured. Or just the only one that supported one of many already held belief.

And finally no mention of a few others eating a reasonable diet also having to stay in bed as a control group

Is it a result of bad food? Or of extreme inactivity? Or both? Or of chance.

Now I am no champion of McDonalds. But PULEEZ, can the media show at least a little selectivity? My guess is that this bit of tripe will be given too much coverage for a short time on newscasts and that everyone with a diet of any sort other than high calorie greasy fast food will use this "science" to prop up their own diet, whether it has has any merit or not.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

silentbutdeadly

Re: Classic media reporting on science

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 am

So are you having a shot at News Limited's reporting via their website or at New Scientist magazine (published by Reed) who published the original magazine article (https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... f-diabetes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

...or at the research team for doing the experiment, publishing the results http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/scitranslmed.aac4765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then the journal publisher's getting the results out there in the media in the first place?

I am unclear...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Probably that it sounds a bit half-assed and no mention is made of it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:11 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:This one has popped up on the new feeds:

It's a classic case of media reporting "science" that, at best, suggests maybe some followup quality research. After which we may know something useful.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... 7527262034
Scientists try to mimic American diet 6000 calories of burger and pizza every day
SEPTEMBER 15, 2015

SIX unlikely heroes have made the ultimate sacrifice to see if eating like an American has an adverse effect on the human body...consume 6000 calories every day for a whole week — a diet consisting of about 50 per cent carbohydrates, 35 per cent fats, and 15 per cent protein.
“It was a regular, American diet, composed of pizzas, hamburgers and that sort of thing,” he told New Scientist.
That is probably the average maco-nutrient ratio, but my understanding is the average consumption is about 2000 calories, not 6000. So I don't think the study is remotely representative.

You just have to look at the average American to know what their diet does. Their average BMI is ~28. Australia is not far behind with ~27. So not much difference.
http://www.livescience.com/11825-global ... nking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Now I am no champion of McDonalds. But PULEEZ, can the media show at least a little selectivity? My guess is that this bit of tripe will be given too much coverage for a short time on newscasts and that everyone with a diet of any sort other than high calorie greasy fast food will use this "science" to prop up their own diet, whether it has has any merit or not.
From what you've shown I doubt many would take it seriously. The obvious shouldn't be newsworthy. Even the lack of replies here says something.