Pea Protein?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
misterhorsey

Pea Protein?

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Anyone have any experiences with Pea Protein?

I've been vego 2 years. Moving towards vegan diet. I probably had too much protein in my diet when I was a meat eater, and now I'm vego I never feel I'm lacking anything (although when I go heavy on carbs to the exclusion of fresh greens I do tend to notice some cravings). So no issues to report with day to day health but I'm not terribly good at tracking my protein intake during bigger efforts on the bike and thought it might be easy to sprinkle a bit of condensed pea powder into a drink every now and then. Curious to hear if anyone else has had good results.

toolonglegs

Re: Pea Protein?

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Tastes like liquid peas ... bleurk.
I don't bother with any protein supplements.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:46 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Tastes like liquid peas ... bleurk.
I don't bother with any protein supplements.
Like wise here.....

been full strict vegan 4 years & don't need any supplements, but as an added boost or meal replacement I've used Sun Warrior chocolate brown rice protein which is really good & easy to drink. Would highly recommend it.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 am

Thanks, that's good to hear.

I still find some of the meat industry propaganda (propagated by my parents!) a little difficult to shift in my mind (i.e. you need x amount of protein or you'll be weak and die, etc etc).

Had a blood test after 2 years vego and it was reassuringly boring and normal so probably over thinking it. I'm still finding it hard to shift some of the fat around my belleh so this should be telling me that my problem is still that I have a surfeit of kilojoules! (i eat healthy so its not just bread and pasta)

I

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 am

toolonglegs wrote:Tastes like liquid peas ... bleurk.
Mmmm, pea soup!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 am

Stick a few spoonfuls of pea or, personalyl I prefer hemp power into the fruit and veg smoothie.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:58 pm

As a low impact activity, I am not sure that cycling increases the body's need for protein for muscle and tissue repair as much as the same length of a higher impact activity like running.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:59 am

I used to use pea but couldn't stand the taste, you can't mask that horror with anything. Rice protein is much easier to get down - this has served me well for the last 6 months or so http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/product ... otein.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Rice protein mostly has the consistency of sand. To quote TLL...
toolonglegs wrote: ... bleurk...
:P :lol:

This stuff, however, is pretty good: https://www.shininghealth.com.au/sunwar ... AlFS8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been using it for awhile, and it works. Very finely ground, so smooth to taste and the vanilla flavour is nice. Chocolate is good too, but I'm off caffeine as it dries out oil production for my eyes.

Normally about $75/kg but available for $50 in store at Mr Vitamins and my local health food store at Dee Why.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:49 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Thanks, that's good to hear.

I still find some of the meat industry propaganda (propagated by my parents!) a little difficult to shift in my mind (i.e. you need x amount of protein or you'll be weak and die, etc etc).
To spell it out, you only need 0.8g per kg of body weight. I believe the healthy range is 0.8 - 1.5. I got 1.3 today on a WFPB diet. Most people on a "normal" diet are probably getting ~1.8 or more. More isn't better as excess animal protein loads your kidneys and liver.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/ve ... it-protein
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-t ... r-kidneys/
misterhorsey wrote:Had a blood test after 2 years vego and it was reassuringly boring and normal so probably over thinking it. I'm still finding it hard to shift some of the fat around my belleh so this should be telling me that my problem is still that I have a surfeit of kilojoules! (i eat healthy so its not just bread and pasta)
Bread probably, pasta less likely. Milk and eggs likely as both are high in fat, increase IGF-1 and insulin. Even with the same calorie intake, you should put on less weight without the eggs and milk in theory. Other things to reduce are nuts, seeds and oils if you want to lose weight.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ducts/74/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ucts/111/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey Nobody

I've been largely egg and dairy free since September, and also have exercised a bit of portion control with my meals. I don't weigh or measure anything. I've simply shifted my emphasis on shoving as much food into as possible, into eating smaller portions of better food, cutting out chocolate and other excesses.

I am still drinking beer and having the odd (non-vegan pizza) but only occasionally.

I've gone from a weight range of 67-68 kilos to 63.5 to 64.5.

I think my success in shifting weight this time round is I"m bothering to measure my weight. While I'm not measuring the food I find having some idea of how I"m travelling from day to day makes me consider the impact of food choices, which I never used to.

Will be interesting to see whether this shifts my base weight in the long term.

I'm 165cm tall and at uni I averaged around 57kg, although never accurately measured myself. I did balloon up to 74kg when I worked in the States for a few months. I could probably get to 60kg but weight isn't the key objective. Its strength and leaness. If I end up being heavier and strong, so be it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 pm

misterhorsey wrote:I think my success in shifting weight this time round is I"m bothering to measure my weight. While I'm not measuring the food I find having some idea of how I"m travelling from day to day makes me consider the impact of food choices, which I never used to.
Hi MH,
Weighing yourself daily does have it's benefits. Doing a straight out of bed waist measurement for WHtR should be even more telling. As you said, it keeps the goal in mind and it helps track what yesterday's diet did to you (hydration aside). It's the food choices that will make the most difference long term. Just calorie restriction should eventually catch up with you in the long term.
misterhorsey wrote:Will be interesting to see whether this shifts my base weight in the long term.

I'm 165cm tall and at uni I averaged around 57kg, although never accurately measured myself. I did balloon up to 74kg when I worked in the States for a few months. I could probably get to 60kg but weight isn't the key objective. Its strength and leaness. If I end up being heavier and strong, so be it.
Since you've been a lot lighter than this when younger, it should be quite possible to maintain your current weight with the right food choices. Get your diet close to ideal and you may get lean enough long term to approach 57kg. I got to a BMI of 20.7 with a WHtR of 0.425 earlier this year, but found I was getting too cold so I'm now about ~21.5 and WHtR of ~0.43. The middle of the BMI range is 21.5. I'm still lighter than I was in my 20s.