Saddle lumps and bumps

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
lammy

Saddle lumps and bumps

Postby lammy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Although not the typical saddle sores that I had in the past many times. I noticed I am getting lumps under the skin (few MM) in the groin area just lately, one of them is a few months old and has got smaller over time, another just appeared, just wondering if i should be worrried or if its a common thing. You can feel it in your fingers, cyst like in feel, not full of liquid more solid lump. Definately caused by the saddle, I dont think its anything to do with lumps in the testicles which I check for and am free from. anybody had similar or remedies.

outnabike

Re: Saddle lumps and bumps

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Lammy, I reckon you need a seat with a cutout.
I know nothing, but this off the internet seems common. Me, I would go to the doc.... :)

http://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutr ... groin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be a sebaceous cyst. Sometimes they go away, some people get them lanced. If it's bothering you on the bike, it would be worthwhile seeing your doc.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

lammy

Postby lammy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for that, yep had a cut away seat in the past didnt find them very comfortable, I use a Arione extra padded tri2 seats on all my bikes have done for years, these lumps just appeared over last 3 months over years of cycling.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Unexplained lumps should trigger a visit to the doctor.

cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Unexplained lumps should trigger a visit to the doctor.
Graeme
And no selfie. Please. :P
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Probably just a saddle sore that you didn't pop :) ... and now the puss has gone hard and is just sitting under the skin in a little hard lump.
Yeah get it checked out to be on the safe side .

I suppose you are talking under the butt no? ... if you are talking around the groin more then they could be lymph nodes. Normal but still worth checking.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 pm

toolonglegs wrote:and now the puss has gone hard and is just sitting under the skin
Poor puss. :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Meow :mrgreen:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:and now the puss has gone hard and is just sitting under the skin

better not squeeze the puss then...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 pm

cp123 wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:

better not squeeze the puss then...
Thunk theers a few people taking the puss here...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I just pussed myself laughing...
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Ah puss off, it can't be that bad.[emoji56]

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Next you will all be following Mrs Slocombe home to check out her puss. :twisted:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:13 pm

you can check out mine if you want.

It's black and white. quite hairy and very cute looking. Prior to that it was a shorthaired tortoise shell coloured one.

I'm talking about my cats. not sure what you lot are on about...

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm

The dr told that they are follicle infections and needed antibiotics to treat. After a few rides, I used a spray for ingrown hairs and the issue is resolved.

User Name

Postby User Name » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:13 pm

It's a bit inconvenient, but sitting in a very shallow tub of very warm, very salty water works minor miracles, from my experience. Be warned that ya knob might be sensitive to a high-salt content; well, mine is. :mrgreen:

I'm no Dr Butt...

I had a bad sore a long time ago (a large, blind, pimple-type), for the which a doc gave me antibiotics, and they seemed to do the trick. Some time later, I had a worse one, but it was a weekend, therefore, I couldn't get to my regular doctor. So, I soaked in a tub of salty water for ~20 mins, and it was heaps better the next morning, and probably 80% or 90% gone (pain wise) the following day, after another soak.

In the many years since, I've successfully treated my big sores with a salty soak.

Pimple cream sometimes works on smaller ones, but it takes much longer, and it's a tricky area to make the cream stay put.

Gross-out alert: :mrgreen:
From experience, unlike regular zits on other parts of the body, trying to pop and squeeze these sores usually does more harm than good. I recommend leaving them alone, unless you have to ride, and can see yellow pus very close to the surface, and even then, only do a shallow pop and light squeeze, if anything.
The inflammation response to a hard squeeze is rapid and dramatic, often making them immediately larger and more painful.

Also, over-the-counter antiseptic creams, such as Medi Quattro, with painkillers (lignocaine), are ok, but don't do a lot for me.

I've heard of haemorrhoids being used for pain relief (when you "have to" ride), but I've never got around to trying them.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 am

User Name wrote:

I've heard of haemorrhoids being used for pain relief (when you "have to" ride), but I've never got around to trying them.
Haemorrhoid cream perhaps :-) But if you really want to ride, teething gel like Bonjela is the bomb. There's even an adult version that's stronger.

User Name

Postby User Name » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Eleri wrote:
User Name wrote:

Haemorrhoid cream perhaps :-) But if you really want to ride, teething gel like Bonjela is the bomb. There's even an adult version that's stronger.
HA. Ooops, yes. :D Bummer (punnly. Ha)! I can't edit it.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:11 pm

User Name wrote:It's a bit inconvenient, but sitting in a very shallow tub of very warm, very salty water works minor miracles, from my experience. Be warned that ya knob might be sensitive to a high-salt content; well, mine is. :mrgreen:

I'm no Dr Butt...

I had a bad sore a long time ago (a large, blind, pimple-type), for the which a doc gave me antibiotics, and they seemed to do the trick. Some time later, I had a worse one, but it was a weekend, therefore, I couldn't get to my regular doctor. So, I soaked in a tub of salty water for ~20 mins, and it was heaps better the next morning, and probably 80% or 90% gone (pain wise) the following day, after another soak.

In the many years since, I've successfully treated my big sores with a salty soak.

Pimple cream sometimes works on smaller ones, but it takes much longer, and it's a tricky area to make the cream stay put.

Gross-out alert: :mrgreen:
From experience, unlike regular zits on other parts of the body, trying to pop and squeeze these sores usually does more harm than good. I recommend leaving them alone, unless you have to ride, and can see yellow pus very close to the surface, and even then, only do a shallow pop and light squeeze, if anything.
The inflammation response to a hard squeeze is rapid and dramatic, often making them immediately larger and more painful.

Also, over-the-counter antiseptic creams, such as Medi Quattro, with painkillers (lignocaine), are ok, but don't do a lot for me.

don't use "medi quattro" it has a ingredient which many people have an allergic reaction too, including me! The ingredient is banned in europe.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:58 pm

I get these small cyst-like bumps all the time... on a weekly basis.
I have used the pimple cream but it's not that effective and it bleaches everything so I can't recommend that.

To minimise them now I have to use clean bibs/shorts for every ride (obvious I know, but for 3 years I wore the same bibs during the morning and afternoon commute).
I use anti-bacterial washing liquid for every wash.
I use anti-bacterial chammy cream for my rides.

Much more manageable now.

I like the salt bath idea.
How much salt is needed?

User Name

Postby User Name » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:05 pm

softy wrote:
don't use "medi quattro" it has a ingredient which many people have an allergic reaction too, including me! The ingredient is banned in europe.
Do you remember which ingredient? I don't use it on saddle sores any more because it seems ineffective. I sometimes use it on painful hangnails :D

User Name

Postby User Name » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Rex wrote:
I like the salt bath idea.
How much salt is needed?
I use a big handful and shove where the sore is, after sitting in first.
You only need a couple of inches of water.