Poor diet + hard training + insufficient rest = injury

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
marty_one

Re: Poor diet + hard training + insufficient rest = injury

Postby marty_one » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:08 am

zill wrote:If outside, I'd add two more things to buy, water and small amounts of low sugar cheese
Could you please list the cheese's that are considered low sugar?

Never have I ever seen low sugar cheese on the supermarket shelves, have seen low fat, lactose free, etc...Any sweetness in cheese is usually because of the lactose in the milk, and even if you are diabetic cheese is highly recommended as part of any healthy diet. The only cheese that I could even consider sweet is the Kraft Cheddar Sandwhich Cheese Slices and contrary to popular belief even that cheese is still made the traditional way, it just done on a humongous scale. Have a look at some videos on youtube about how cheese made.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:28 am

Yes its the fat quantity that varies significantly with cheese. Cheese can be crazily calorie dense so I avoid it.

I wouldn't call processed cheese identical to traditional. They add a lot of crap to it. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zill

Postby zill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:58 am

marty_one wrote:
zill wrote:If outside, I'd add two more things to buy, water and small amounts of low sugar cheese
Could you please list the cheese's that are considered low sugar?

Never have I ever seen low sugar cheese on the supermarket shelves, have seen low fat, lactose free, etc...Any sweetness in cheese is usually because of the lactose in the milk, and even if you are diabetic cheese is highly recommended as part of any healthy diet. The only cheese that I could even consider sweet is the Kraft Cheddar Sandwhich Cheese Slices and contrary to popular belief even that cheese is still made the traditional way, it just done on a humongous scale. Have a look at some videos on youtube about how cheese made.

Take Coles Australian Tasty Cheddar Sticks, it has less than 1g of sugar per 100g of cheese. That is pretty low!

Also note that I only eat cheese by sticks to keep servings low!

zill

Postby zill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:Yes its the fat quantity that varies significantly with cheese. Cheese can be crazily calorie dense so I avoid it.

That's why you buy cheese sticks. 1 stick has 340kj which is equivalent to a medium to large apple.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Zill, what is it you are trying to achieve? Improved injury recovery, or limit weight gain during time of injury, or just general weight control or other?

I find when I am not injured and riding 2-300k a week, I can eat what I want and stay in my target weight range. Being injured means more control as riding is around 100k a week. I just got back from lunch with a mate... chicken burger with chips and a large coke!! My one bad day a week. I now limit coke to this once a week (it was great!!), and just have ham/cheese sandwiches most other days for lunch and well rounded family dinners. I am trying to limit weight gain (and I am within 2kg of my peak fitness), but also trying to limit inflammatory additions to my diet which may be impacting on injury recovery. Sugar is supposed to be pretty inflammatory. I drink a lot of water, and take turmeric and other supplements, and just trying to eat more natural foods generally (except today!!). Life was good for me a couple years ago when I was riding a lot (commuting every day and 150k on weekend) and I had takeaway all the time to keep my weight up as I lost too much!!

zill

Postby zill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:39 pm

vosadrian wrote:Zill, what is it you are trying to achieve? Improved injury recovery, or limit weight gain during time of injury, or just general weight control or other?

I find when I am not injured and riding 2-300k a week, I can eat what I want and stay in my target weight range. Being injured means more control as riding is around 100k a week. I just got back from lunch with a mate... chicken burger with chips and a large coke!! My one bad day a week. I now limit coke to this once a week (it was great!!), and just have ham/cheese sandwiches most other days for lunch and well rounded family dinners. I am trying to limit weight gain (and I am within 2kg of my peak fitness), but also trying to limit inflammatory additions to my diet which may be impacting on injury recovery. Sugar is supposed to be pretty inflammatory. I drink a lot of water, and take turmeric and other supplements, and just trying to eat more natural foods generally (except today!!). Life was good for me a couple years ago when I was riding a lot (commuting every day and 150k on weekend) and I had takeaway all the time to keep my weight up as I lost too much!!

I'm leaving the recovery of my injury to the professionals. I know that even after I recover, without a healthy eating habit/plan all is not well. Good thing is I know I am a food addict which means can't indulge a little like you did. Truths is over 11 months, I have spent over $10 000 on junk food alone. That is simply unacceptable. But now I think I have finally cracked it and on the road to regular healthy eating again. Been 4 days of clean eating and from each passing day, gradually losing more and more desire for junk food. Main reason is that I think I have found the wholesome home cooked meals that suits me and is healthy. Took 2 years of searching and experimenting. Just after 4 days, I feel leaner (without a lot of cycling) and gradually losing desire for takeaway food!

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:12 am

zill wrote: Truths is over 11 months, I have spent over $10 000 on junk food alone.
So like over $200/week on junkfood/take away? Were you having all your meals away from home?

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 am

Wow, what kind of takeaway were you buying? $200 per week is my average supermarket spend for a family of 4!!
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

zill

Postby zill » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:32 pm

marty_one wrote:Wow, what kind of takeaway were you buying? $200 per week is my average supermarket spend for a family of 4!!
Mainly desserts from cafes. Binging on average 4-5 times per week. But then I'll skip home cooked meals so supermaarket spend is lower but not by much.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Have realised that it's actually poor bike fit + hard training = injury