Best ways to avoid falling off bike with clip in shoes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TheShadow

Re: Best ways to avoid falling off bike with clip in shoes

Postby TheShadow » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Lozzie wrote:No I have a size 9 ladies. My Shimanos are size 42.

It's just going to take time and Practise. Need to find somewhere I can hold myself up while practicing my right shoe unclipping.
I don't think it takes a great amount of physical effort or skill to unclip once you remember that you cannot possibly move your foot forward, backwards, upwards even straight sideways - you have to twist your heel out. But you do all those wrong movements because of the panic and fear of falling.

The problem for everyone is that in the moment of panic when you suddenly realise you are falling, you waste precious milliseconds and effort trying to PULL your foot off the pedal so that you can put your foot down, when only twisting your heel outwards first will free your shoe so that you CAN then put your foot down. If the split second you fear you might fall you immediately are reaching with your hand for an object to support you, or you give in to your natural/panic reaction to try to "pull" your foot off the pedal (instead of twisting your heel out), then you will probably go down.

You have to steel yourself not to panic - hang on to the bars tight and tense up your stomach muscles - so that you can forcefully whip you heel outwards with a twisting motion, that turns into a big last-minute lunge (once your foot is free) as you stomp your now-free foot onto the ground to support you. There is time to do this even AS you are falling, and still manage to get your foot out and down. It might sound extreme, but it is your only chance once you have started to fall. It usually can be done just so long as you don't waste precious milliseconds panicking and flailing your leg around trying to get it free.

Disclaimer: I last 'semi-fell' serveral months ago going up my steep driveway and a downshift didn't go to plan - but nobody saw it so that doesn't count. :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:31 pm

^ He's absolutely right Lozzie. Every word. You already have the physical skills and the determination to master this, I'm sure you will.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lozzie

Postby Lozzie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you. I've been home for Xmas so no riding for two weeks. Can't wait to get back on and master this!

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Or convert to a recumbent trike. Track stands are just a breeze! No clipping out and then back in at the lights! :)

Cheers

Alan (a recumbenteer...)
Alan
BentCyclist

Lozzie

Postby Lozzie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:23 pm

So an update!

I had two weeks off with Xmas. (Flying home and then last 3 days of the year was so tired from jet lag I didn't ride) Was really, really scared getting back on. Rode on Sunday with sneakers. Almost cried when I had to stop. But I DEFINITLY felt a difference between with cleats and without.

I've ridden with cleats five times since Monday. Monday morning had long sleeves. Practiced pulling my right clear out while riding and can now do it properly! Left foot is done automatically when coming to a stop too. Of course my ass is very sore.

I've had to get off a few times and walk because one of the walkways is full of people and lots of hazards this week (near where the Hopman Cup is being played) but I'm much more confident to the point back in short sleeves.

Thank you everyone for all your advice and encouragement.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:40 pm

8)
:D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Mulger bill wrote:8)
:D
+1

Excellent.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Lozzie wrote:So an update!

I had two weeks off with Xmas. (Flying home and then last 3 days of the year was so tired from jet lag I didn't ride) Was really, really scared getting back on. Rode on Sunday with sneakers. Almost cried when I had to stop. But I DEFINITLY felt a difference between with cleats and without.

I've ridden with cleats five times since Monday. Monday morning had long sleeves. Practiced pulling my right clear out while riding and can now do it properly! Left foot is done automatically when coming to a stop too. Of course my ass is very sore.

I've had to get off a few times and walk because one of the walkways is full of people and lots of hazards this week (near where the Hopman Cup is being played) but I'm much more confident to the point back in short sleeves.

Thank you everyone for all your advice and encouragement.
Good work! :D It's just practice and overcoming the fear of the clip stack. Once you get used to them, they become second nature.