Chronic exertional compartment syndrome

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
find_bruce

Re: Chronic exertional compartment syndrome

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:39 pm

redsonic wrote:In case this was too subtle
Don't think I have ever been accused of being subtle before. Still trying to figure out if that is an insult or a compliment :D

zill

Postby zill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:07 pm

fat and old wrote:
Zill....no one here should tell you anything. Just like in real life, only more so.

Some of the best advice come from people willing to share rather than forced through anything.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I happen to work in the education industry and know that a lot of parents want their children to become doctors. Don't think all of them want to be doctors though. So certainly not all doctors are equal.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:40 pm

zill wrote: Some of the best advice I have received come from people who have also been injured from excess training.

Whilst suffering injury personally is one way to learn, there are other methods to acquire knowledge.
zill wrote:So I think the best advice is from people who have gone through the same injuries as myself - no matter if they are doctors or not. Important thing is they have received advice from good doctors themselves so are well informed.
zill wrote:The body is very complicated thing.
This last one is the key. Who is making the judgement that some other person who has suffered some other injury, has actually suffered the same injury?

What may seem to be similar injuries to the sufferers, might easily have completely different causes and require completely different treatments. How about leaving the diagnosis to those people who are trained to do it.

And when you receive a treatment plan follow it.

Cheers,

Cameron

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Seek professional medical advice. Do not waste time on here. Compartment syndrome, if real, needs attention. If mild from over training, then like most such injury, treatment is typically rest.

If however it's more severe it can be very dangerous. Acute compartment syndrome following a fracture and surgery was a factor in ultimately requiring the amputation of my leg. Treatment before that was knee to ankle fasciotomy on both sides of my leg in an effort to release the pressure and enable blood flow. Aside from the fascination of being able to see the muscles inside one's own leg during dressing changes, I don't think you really want to risk needing to go down that path. See a doctor. end of.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Seek professional medical advice. Do not waste time on here. Compartment syndrome, if real, needs attention. If mild from over training, then like most such injury, treatment is typically rest.

If however it's more severe it can be very dangerous. Acute compartment syndrome following a fracture and surgery was a factor in ultimately requiring the amputation of my leg. Treatment before that was knee to ankle fasciotomy on both sides of my leg in an effort to release the pressure and enable blood flow. Aside from the fascination of being able to see the muscles inside one's own leg during dressing changes, I don't think you really want to risk needing to go down that path. See a doctor. end of.
Oh wow, so you've obviously had Chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Did you keep training even when experiencing pain which led to the need for surgery?

I've seen an osteopath about it already and she told be to rest and ride lightly (also said that she doesn't think I will need surgery as it's not that severe thank God). For example today, did 45 min of riding on the trainer averaging 100W. Calf actually feels better after this ride!

The point of this thread is to hear experiences from people like you who have been there done that.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:17 pm

fat and old wrote: Zill....no one here should tell you anything. Just like in real life, only more so.
Actually, many here have probably already suggested a psychologist, I think that still stands given his obvious social issues and his potentially dangerous self analysis across many elements of his life from dating, training, injuries, eating, weight loss etc..

zill

Postby zill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 pm

piledhigher wrote:
fat and old wrote: Zill....no one here should tell you anything. Just like in real life, only more so.
Actually, many here have probably already suggested a psychologist, I think that still stands given his obvious social issues and his potentially dangerous self analysis across many elements of his life from dating, training, injuries, eating, weight loss etc..
As I've mentioned before, I am autistic so my development in certain regions is different to others. Some have just not developed. Some better than most.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:30 pm

zill wrote:
piledhigher wrote:
As I've mentioned before, I am autistic so my development in certain regions is different to others. Some have just not developed. Some better than most.
Some time you should try to show the better than most side. Until then you will get the other refrain, trolling.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:39 pm

No, Alex didn't have exertional compartment syndrome from training too much or poorly, and nor did he keep training while experiencing it. Hard to do from a hospital bed after a "pretty nasty accident". You really need to use the internet better before asking silly questions like that.

Look...I broke my shoulder. Statistically, 80% of broken shoulders are not displaced. Mine was. Most are on osteoporotic women or 20 year old men who have experienced trauma. Mine wasn't. The first thing my GP said to me when he saw my X-rays (apart from a pretty stunning swear word) was not to even bother reading the internet regarding recovery etc as I was so far off the end of the bell curve it wasn't funny. That advice was great. My physio...who I have been using for years...said pretty much the same thing. The thing is, there weren't too many injuries of this severity around and Dr Google was just going to give me false hope (most broken shoulders are good to go in 6 weeks without issue but I was immobilised for 12 and have 2 years of rehab and permanent loss of motion). See how easily the internet can sway your thinking and expectations? The severity wasn't really explained in hospital, but I should have tweaked when the surgeon said "smashed" and "trying to keep as much of your bone as possible".

You say 2 physios didn't recommend an ultrasound and that someone of here should have, and your gp has no experience with cycling and related injury. My GP thinks riding bikes is silly and played first grade rugby until well into his 40's but he is a damn good gp in my opinion. If he wasn't, I'd have found another. My physio works closely with rugby players too, and WAIS athletes, but she's not really a bike rider. Again, she understands the mechanics and physiology and is a damn fine physio. If I had any doubts about either of them, I'd change to another. You seem to have doubts about the medical professionals you put your trust (or mistrust?) in so you ask questions from people you have never met on an online forum. Why aren't you asking for recommendations so you can change your medical professionals and get advice from people who can see you? A couple of people on these boards have had similar injuries to mine, but not the same. Sure we talked and compared experiences, but it was just that - sharing experiences. Not getting advice. And this was only after we'd all had professional diagnosis and treatment plans to suit our particular injuries.

Please change your medical professionals to people you can trust for your circumstances. If you feel you need a cycling GP who tends to overtrain or train randomly then good luck finding one. My knee surgeon was pretty particular about his bike fit as, well, a poor fit can ruin knees and he sees enough of these to not want to be a patient himself.

I can't believe you think you can trust advice from us anyway!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:13 am

zill wrote:Oh wow, so you've obviously had Chronic exertional compartment syndrome.
No. that's incorrect. Did you read what I wrote?:
Acute compartment syndrome following a fracture and surgery...
zill wrote:Did you keep training even when experiencing pain which led to the need for surgery?
If I ever had or do experience such symptoms, I would seek and follow medical advice and not pay undue attention to anecdotes on the interwebs.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:57 am

piledhigher wrote:
Some time you should try to show the better than most side. Until then you will get the other refrain, trolling.

Look who started trolling first in this thread. The mod people posting strange pictures. Maybe I shouldn't have replied to them. Look at my OP, all serious. Also it's not all about me. Maybe I want to learn something about this syndrome, just like a student wants to learn.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: No. that's incorrect. Did you read what I wrote?:

Offcourse but obviously didn't understand you correctly. My impression was that one only gets Chronic exertional compartment syndrome from excessive repetitive exercise. Your surgery didn't go well? How did you get it after surgery?

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: If I ever had or do experience such symptoms, I would seek and follow medical advice and not pay undue attention to anecdotes on the interwebs.
For my own situation, I would seek professional help. But I'm here mainly to learn about it. Look at my OP, didn't mention anything about myself.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for sharing. You seem to have knowledgeable people around you.

moosterbounce wrote: I can't believe you think you can trust advice from us anyway!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Some people here are very knowledgeable even professionals in the area. If they are also good people and willingly to share and educate then I don't see why I can't trust them. I am educated enough to filter the bs from genuine advice, in case you are worried.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:00 pm

zill wrote:Why is this thread unwelcomed?

This thread is about

"I'm not a doctor but…
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues." which is what is advertised.

People should be able to write whatever they want that is relevant.

As to getting a proper diagnosis, I will but maybe I'm waiting to meet the doctor soon. Just want to get some information prior to meeting the doctor.
Probably because it seems like you have a medical dictionary and regularly start a thread on whatever you pick from that you 'think' you might have. The only thing in that dictionary I think you really have is Munchausen's Syndrome.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:44 pm

zill wrote:I've seen an osteopath about it already and she told be to rest and ride lightly (also said that she doesn't think I will need surgery as it's not that severe thank God).
Was going to chip in but after reading the attendance of osteopath on your supposed 'compartment syndrome'... I'll just say that take Alex's advice if you are wise or do your own thing and don't bother asking. :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Got a proper bike fit and over night 70% of the pain is gone. Confident all pain will be gone in the next few days.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Lol how was that not your first action!?

zill

Postby zill » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:Lol how was that not your first action!?
First of all the idea of getting a fit came pretty late already (4 months late) secondly, had to wait 2 more weeks for the fit on top of that. During those 2 weeks, seeked further advice and treatment from other health professionals. Hence all these extra information.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:22 pm

How big were the changes they made?

zill

Postby zill » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:How big were the changes they made?
Biggest change was a 2cm drop in saddle height!

Compared to the bike that originally got me injured, it's a 3cm drop in saddle height.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 pm

zill wrote:

Compared to the bike that originally got me injured, it's a 3cm drop in saddle height.
That is a significant change. No wonder you kept injuring yourself. After my recent bike fit my saddle went up 6mm.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:35 pm

biker jk wrote:
zill wrote:

That is a significant change. No wonder you kept injuring yourself. After my recent bike fit my saddle went up 6mm.

I'm probably a case where because of the way I pedal, the standard formulas of inseam length and saddle height does not apply.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:01 pm

FWIW, chronic exertional compartment syndrome is regularly resolved by abstinence from provoking factors for 4-6 weeks, if overweight weight loss, improved diet (low sodium), and heavy massage of the affected muscle compartments. Often the main contributors to calf compartment syndrome is fluid retention and excess fat storage. GPs in my experience have varying attitudes and experience with it, and often equivocate for months with the overused wait and watch approach, even in the face of more severe symptoms like nerve compromise.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:31 pm

zill wrote:

Cripes, little wonder you've had problems. :|