Melatonin supplements

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Melatonin supplements

Postby zill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:25 pm

I've had sleep problems for 1.5 years mainly due to waking up after only 3 to 4 hours of sleep then usually able to sleep again for 3 more hours but not all the time.

The GP recommended i take 2mg of Melatonin 2 hours before bedtime. He says it's safe but I'm not sure as I've never taken chemicals before as supplements. I'm worried that once I start taking it, I will become reliant on it and my body will produce less and less melatonin in the future. But then again, this sleeping pattern cannot continue either as its interfering with my life a bit.

sogood

Re: Melatonin supplements

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Much much safer than any of the other 'sleeping tablets'. Try a week first than consider.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:46 pm

That's about the the same amount of sleep I get, and it's always broken up too, I get by just fine.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:14 pm

My experience of the non-prescription melatonin supplements is that they don't work as the dose is too small.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:27 pm

If the melatonin works, you could try encourage your body to reset its production with something like
http://re-timer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Haven't used it but am tempted to get one for the wife

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:05 pm

zill wrote:I've had sleep problems for 1.5 years mainly due to waking up after only 3 to 4 hours of sleep then usually able to sleep again for 3 more hours but not all the time.

The GP recommended i take 2mg of Melatonin 2 hours before bedtime. He says it's safe but I'm not sure as I've never taken chemicals before as supplements. I'm worried that once I start taking it, I will become reliant on it and my body will produce less and less melatonin in the future. But then again, this sleeping pattern cannot continue either as its interfering with my life a bit.
I tried some over the counter bioglan crud a few years back. I just looked it up again and cant find the dosage per tablet listed as milligrams or micrograms.
I think it has almost no melatonin in it because it had no effect.
Did you get a prescription for melatonin?

I am a rotational shift worker so have trouble sleeping at times too.
I use restavit as infrequently as possible and find it works. Makes you a bit drowsy/less alert the next day, though still better functionally than going without sleep.
I did have a prescription for zolpidem once. That was fairly rubbish, similar to valerian ime

zill

Postby zill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm

kb wrote:If the melatonin works, you could try encourage your body to reset its production with something like
http://re-timer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Haven't used it but am tempted to get one for the wife
This thing seem to be an alternative to melatonin?

Do you know people who have tried it and worked?

zill

Postby zill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm

warthog1 wrote: Did you get a prescription for melatonin?
Yes

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Have you tried it yet?

zill

Postby zill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:Have you tried it yet?
No, a bit scared. Haven't taken chemical in terms of tablets since primary school I think.

These look promising http://re-timer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; though.

I like to be as natural as possible.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:49 pm

It won't be unsafe in the prescribed dose.
I haven't read much on it for a while but Sogood is a medical Dr and he is indicating it is one of the safer alternatives.
I would try it short term as directed and see if it resolves your issue.

At least take it once and tell me how you feel the next day. I need a guinea pig. If you never post again I'll know not to chase a prescription for my sleep issues :twisted:

Only joking :lol: I'm sure it's safe in the prescribed dose. Have a google if you are worried.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:38 am

zill wrote:
kb wrote:If the melatonin works, you could try encourage your body to reset its production with something like

No, I don't. I have friends with a more traditional light box who say that works but is a hassle.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:21 am

kb wrote:
zill wrote:

No, I don't. I have friends with a more traditional light box who say that works but is a hassle.

But you only have to wear it for a few months or do you permanantely have to wear it?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:02 pm

I've asked before, have you had a sleep study done yet?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zill

Postby zill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:04 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I've asked before, have you had a sleep study done yet?

Foo
But would I need a referral from the GP first?

The GP has first prescribed me to take melatonin, however. Tempted to try it now since this problem has been going on for 1.5 years!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes they do. If he/she won't refer you, get another bloody Dr and one that uses commonsense + it costs you nothing and you'll find out what the hell is going on, all without popping friggin pills first! :roll: :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zill

Postby zill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yes they do. If he/she won't refer you, get another bloody Dr and one that uses commonsense + it costs you nothing and you'll find out what the hell is going on, all with popping friggin pills first! :roll: :idea:

Foo

Sounds very interesting. Will go to another GP and try to do one!

zill

Postby zill » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:58 am

Just thinking back to the conversation with my GP, he told me to try the melatonin and if that doesn't work then do a sleep study. Wonder if that also makes sense?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:18 am

He has it arse about face, find the cause first not go on mabies. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:37 pm

zill wrote:Just thinking back to the conversation with my GP, he told me to try the melatonin and if that doesn't work then do a sleep study. Wonder if that also makes sense?
It can be logical as the sleep study will look more deeply at the pattern and excludes other more serious issues eg. Sleep apnoea and others. However, I suspect his suspicion for those other concern is low in your case and that melatonin is a pretty benign and can be effective for some with sleep pattern disturbances eg. Jetlag and others, it's quite reasonable to try melatonin first. Per your description of the history and situation, your GP's approach is quite reasonable.

As suggested, just try melatonin for 2 weeks and see. It's cheap, harmless and may just work for you. If not, then talk to your GP and seek alternate investigations and solutions. Jumping head first into costly options (eg. Sleep study and re-Timer etc) is bad for your wallet and illogical for your circumstance.

You affect the body far more by drinking coffee, coke, wine and beer!

zill

Postby zill » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:56 pm

sogood wrote:
zill wrote:Just thinking back to the conversation with my GP, he told me to try the melatonin and if that doesn't work then do a sleep study. Wonder if that also makes sense?
It can be logical as the sleep study will look more deeply at the pattern and excludes other more serious issues eg. Sleep apnoea and others. However, I suspect his suspicion for those other concern is low in your case and that melatonin is a pretty benign and can be effective for some with sleep pattern disturbances eg. Jetlag and others, it's quite reasonable to try melatonin first. Per your description of the history and situation, your GP's approach is quite reasonable.

As suggested, just try melatonin for 2 weeks and see. It's cheap, harmless and may just work for you. If not, then talk to your GP and seek alternate investigations and solutions. Jumping head first into costly options (eg. Sleep study and re-Timer etc) is bad for your wallet and illogical for your circumstance.

You affect the body far more by drinking coffee, coke, wine and beer!
My only concern with melatonin was that it might permanently shut down the body's ability to produce it naturally once I stop taking it (after trying it out for a little while). Could this happen?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Never say never in medicine. But if you do, you'll be the first and written up in the annals of medicine as an unique case. In any case, these therapies are meant to be temporary, one to help you back to a more normal pattern and stop. As said, try 2 weeks and see.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:28 pm

sogood wrote:Never say never in medicine. But if you do, you'll be the first and written up in the annals of medicine as an unique case. In any case, these therapies are meant to be temporary, one to help you back to a more normal pattern and stop. As said, try 2 weeks and see.
Sounds great will try it.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 pm

zill wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Have you tried it yet?
No, a bit scared. Haven't taken chemical in terms of tablets since primary school I think.

These look promising http://re-timer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; though.

I like to be as natural as possible.
Hiya,

1. Melatonin is a hormone produced by your body, anyway. It's about as "natural" as you can get.

2. "Natural" does not equal "good", "better" or "safe". Cyanide, arsenic, hydrogen sulfide gas, falling from great heights without a parachute, etc. etc. are all very very natural...but I wouldn't recommend trying any of them anytime soon.

3. "Chemicals" = every damn element & compound in the known universe. You're made of "chemicals". The air you breathe is "chemicals". I know you use it to mean something more akin to "artificlal stuff that I can't pick off a tree or dig up out of the ground" or "stuff that hippies or the latest diet fad promoter would give their seal of approval to", but it's nice to use words properly sometimes. Again, the distinction between "natural" and "chemicals" is almost meaningless, and the conflation of "natural" with "safer" is a logical error.

4. Melatonin tablets prescribed by your doctor and provided by a bona fide quality controlled pharmaceutical company are quite safe.

Cheers.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 pm

good points, I'm taking them at the moment.