how long to lose fitness?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
defy1

how long to lose fitness?

Postby defy1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:58 pm

So long story short broke a clavicle almost 4 weeks ago, thus obviously haven't ridden at all since. Its probably the longest I've been off the bike in several years.
Just wondering how long off the bike does the loss of fitness take noticeable effect?

trailgumby

Re: how long to lose fitness?

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:29 pm

A week. Fourteen days sees major changes.

From three weeks of not training (Wilbur and Moffatt 1994 as quoted in Friel, J, The Mountain Biker's Training Bible, 2000, page 30):
Aerobic capacity (V02) -8%
Heart stroke volume (blood pumped per beat) -10%
Submaximal heart rate (bpm) +4%
Blood plasma volume -12%
Oxidative enzymes -29%
Blood insulin at rest +17% to +120%
Blood lactate during exercise +88%
Use of fat for fuel during exercise -52%
Time to fatigue (minutes) -10%

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:39 pm

I am fortunate that I have always liked working out/training/skills work, as would be the case of many others here.

I long ago got used to friends everywhere making the theme that while getting to a level of fitness. strength, stamina, whatever takes a lot of time, the downhill slide after cutting is rapid.

I have always found the opposite. I can get a lot of muscle strength in a month or two, stop completely and have more strength six months late than I started with. Similar with stamina and fitness.

I suspect that many of those making the alternate claim either just repeat what others say without ever actually seriously training or they put only minimal effort with incremental progress or none at all.

It might also be that they conflate weight loss dieting with exercise and fitness programs. I will accept that losing weight IS slow but to put it back on can be very fast. And dieting for weight loss is probably a more common experience than hard physical training.

If you are in a hurry, then you have to work hard. Tired muscles. Push when you would rather not.Suffer. Never put off a session with a feeble excuse. If you can do that and still enjoy it then you are, as I am, very fortunate indeed.

After that you will, IMO, be at a level that will sustain you for a lot longer than it took to get there.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:59 pm

I work by the table of ...........you miss three weeks you will need six week to get to get back to that same point. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I work by the table of ...........you miss three weeks you will need six week to get to get back to that same point. :wink:

Foo
I do things with fair bit less intensity than I used to. But even with advancing age it takes me a lot longer to lose it than to gain it. My intensity is certainly not elitist sportsperson intensity, just pushing a bit hard within safe limits. Pushing, not cruising.

But by and large if you are losing what you gain in half the time it took to make that gain then I'd opine that that is a function of the intensity of training. Strength and fitness stays around for a long time.

======================

There are always exceptions of course. I am told that it takes weeks and months for ballet dancers and some circus disciplines that have to hyper-extend to get to where they need to be and that any small injury requiring a short spell of recovery will require many more times that spell to return to the required flexibility. A week off can be a big deal for them.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:52 pm

first ride in 7 weeks today...wow noticeable fitness loss
avg hr 20 beats higher, avg speed 2kmh lower
real struggle up small climbs.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:42 am

defy1 wrote:first ride in 7 weeks today...wow noticeable fitness loss
Just be patient with your build. Consistency and gradual progression in how much riding you do, and after a few weeks you'll be feeling at one with the bike again. Full fitness will take longer but that's part of the fun :)

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 pm

defy1 wrote:first ride in 7 weeks today...wow noticeable fitness loss
I dont think that's too bad! I was recently 6 weeks off bike. I was very worried that I'd put weight on ( esp over Christmas) and would be knackered after 50m on the bike.
Not so. I think the physiological changes reported may be more academic than practical for most of us.

dave3210go

Postby dave3210go » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:40 am

The good news is the steepest curve in your return to fitness is the start. That means the biggest difference in your return to peak physical too.